Just had a accident at the shop

A little digression, how much is a adecuate healt insurance?

Sigh. Hard to answer, these days. And things will change in 2014.

But ... I'd say for a single person somewhere between $6K and $15K per year. Not cheap.

Very expensive! Here in Norway healtservices are free and we pay a maximum fee that is about 350 dollars pr. year, but I guess they get their money back with taxes. Free healthservices is a must for a developed country.

Ban,

Sorry that happened dude. I'd feel personally guilty if it had happened while you were working on "my" knife. As it is though I hope it heals soon! Maybe you can turn it into a PR coup...hey, they're "stupid sharp" right? :D

C

Thanks for asking guys. It seems to be holding up ok. Went back for a checkup and doc says to just keep a eye on it.

Slightly "off topic" but it is impossible for those of us who are not American to understand the widespread and vehement opposition to universal healthcare that exists in the U.S.A.
All other developed countries have universal healthcare and there is absolutely no movement anywhere to revert back to private healthcare. This alone should be enough to convince any doubters that American can do better than it's current unfair and onerous healthcare system.
roland

The healthcare lobby is really powerful and people believe what they hear in the news. Ive had to go to the emergency without insurance, that was a $500 visit.

Slightly "off topic" but it is impossible for those of us who are not American to understand the widespread and vehement opposition to universal healthcare that exists in the U.S.A.
All other developed countries have universal healthcare and there is absolutely no movement anywhere to revert back to private healthcare. This alone should be enough to convince any doubters that American can do better than it's current unfair and onerous healthcare system.
roland

Healing up nicely so far. I see some new flesh growth so that is a good sign. Not sure what will happen to the finger print though.

6114601081_77794098f3_b.jpg

6114603111_511c5840b5_b.jpg

Ban, check out Band-aid Activ-flex hydrocolloid bandaids. They are awesome...state of the art technology. You can put it on and leave it 5-7 days, like Tegaderm for surgeries. Lets the wound breathe but prevents the need for it to scab, doubling healing time. It will stay on, too. I have used them on my dog's ears twice and they are all that stays on!

Thanks for the tip. I will see give them a try. Can I just pick them up at a local drugstore or is it a special order type deal?

Nevermind. I just googled it and found what it looks like. I think I remember seeing them at the local drugstores.

Ban, quite a nasty 'cut' that was. Is the white a piece of remaining fingernail ?
I think it will be a few weeks before you can safely use this finger. It does look good but it has a way to go yet to have full coverage that is tough enough to use. But it is a bit hard to be 100% sure from pictures. Like knives, "in-hand" examination is always best.
roland

Sorry to hear about your accident Ban, I've done the same thing before and it sucks.

Healing up nicely so far. I see some new flesh growth so that is a good sign. Not sure what will happen to the finger print though.

I did this to my index finger, then got printed for my lifetime carry permit about a year later and the print didn't change.

Get well soon Ban

Get well soon Ban..
Here is my finger pic. from 18 days ago. Bleed like a tap,got it stitched back on and felt the last 4 stitches going in.
002.jpg

felt the last 4 stitches going in.
That's likely because the digital nerve block didn't 'take' on one side.
roland (retired anesthesiologist who can't help but comment on such matters)

^^Yep that's correct.
One consolation, the doctor,she was young and pretty.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Ban, quite a nasty 'cut' that was. Is the white a piece of remaining fingernail ?
I think it will be a few weeks before you can safely use this finger. It does look good but it has a way to go yet to have full coverage that is tough enough to use. But it is a bit hard to be 100% sure from pictures. Like knives, "in-hand" examination is always best.
roland

The white piece is just skin. It seems to be healing up decently thus far. I just have to be careful about putting pressure on it.

Back