Knives you will never part with?

Here is one:
7840766118_a6bb80129a_z.jpg

It was a gift from Gus of GTC Knives. Came as a complete surprise to me after a Blade show a few years ago. Something VERY unique that he called his 'Male' Opener. One of the nicest guys in the industry I have met.

I have an imperial 2 blade jack knife, I bought it when I was 9 years old for 1.98 out of an old Johnson smith catalog.it was my very 1st knife. Johnson smith sold gag items,cheap knives, and unusual stuff. I still have it, it even has an ink stain on it when a pen exploded in my pocket.

Gerber Paraframe because it was the first knife I bought and my Cold Steel Kobun that my late dog, Hunter gnawed on the handle.

:D

acu4n9.jpg

Was my grandfathers had it redone by glenn here on the forums. Most treasured item I own would never think of letting it go.

Being your grandfather's makes it a sacred responsibility to retain it the term of your natural life.

Being your grandfather's makes it a sacred responsibility to retain it the term of your natural life.
Oh yeah I remember him carrying it and the old scales were broken. I always asked why he didn't get a new knife his response was why do I need a new one this one cuts fine. I know if I could have snuck it away and did these mods for him he would have loved it. Now it's a family heirloom that mid son will get to tell his own life story with.

beautiful knife! I live in Barcelona and go often to the Ganiveteria Roca. In Plaça del Pi you can find many good things like flea markets and local honey, nuts, meat and cheese on occasion. The place is owned by a nice knife nut, even though the ladies take most of the time and customers there.

I bought some knives there, but truth is their American and foreign brands are way overpriced, even more that you can find them online on other Spanish stores.
They have a wide and nice catalog, though

You may recall we posted back and forth last year in a thread about traveling with knives while I was in Barcelona. (Too bad the pic of your Spydie as a 5th tower on La Sagrada Familia is no longer available.) You kindly filled me in on local knife shops and I made the rounds of several. I was hoping to find something not available Stateside, but was frankly underwhelmed by both their offerings and prices.

While Roca was far from inexpensive, the shop was beautiful and had the best selection of high-quality European knives I'd come across. Of everything Euro I saw there, the Italian knives--mostly made in and around Maniago--were both the most interesting and well-made. It's funny that I ended up with something made for Wilson Combat--an American company. I certainly could have bought the knife for less here online, but what I ended up with is marked differently than those available directly from Wilson, came with a nice padded Fox zippered case, and evokes pleasant memories of both our trip and of Ganiveteria Roca.

When presented with this question in the past, I had a couple I'd list. But those have now been sold. So I've realized that for me all my knives are open to sale or gifting.

Thank you for sharing the Guard Kitty story. It was sad to hear how someone chose to treat a trusting animal...some people have black hearts. That you cared enough to pay tribute to the cat was touching. To have that knife "standing guard" in your home is a fitting way to keep the memory alive. With the back story, that knife became my favorite of your "keepers".

Thank you for your service to the Country,

-Sean-

AzdyiWo.jpg

The Wenger from my folks. It's old AF.

The other rather unusual thing about this SAK is the blade has a lock. You can just see it under the tin opener. One depresses it to close the blade.

I thought I had lost it weeks ago, replaced it with a Spartan (for scale) but my wife, bless her, she found it.

The ones I cannot think of selling or getting rid of right now (times and tastes do change, but not right now) are my old style ML Hidson Bay knives, and my Effingham Blackjack Model 1-7 in leather washers and 1-7 hunter single guard with stag handle. Followed closely by my Richmond Ek model 5 desert Bowie with tan parachord and sharpened top edge, made for Desert Storm.

I have a few knives that have great sentimental value to me. My Dad gave me some before he passed and
I have my Grandpa's old barlow. Of course I will always keep them and pass them on to my son. I've had this one
for a while and I'll give it to my boy also.

pavzFHZ.jpg

You may recall we posted back and forth last year in a thread about traveling with knives while I was in Barcelona. (Too bad the pic of your Spydie as a 5th tower on La Sagrada Familia is no longer available.) You kindly filled me in on local knife shops and I made the rounds of several. I was hoping to find something not available Stateside, but was frankly underwhelmed by both their offerings and prices.

While Roca was far from inexpensive, the shop was beautiful and had the best selection of high-quality European knives I'd come across. Of everything Euro I saw there, the Italian knives--mostly made in and around Maniago--were both the most interesting and well-made. It's funny that I ended up with something made for Wilson Combat--an American company. I certainly could have bought the knife for less here online, but what I ended up with is marked differently than those available directly from Wilson, came with a nice padded Fox zippered case, and evokes pleasant memories of both our trip and of Ganiveteria Roca.

Hi there!
I hope you had a really good time and enjoyed your trip. The offerings on B&M stores are indeed quite scarce and all the same, but that's the reason why most of us buy online...better prices too.

Most stores carry Italian, French and German knives or blades from neighboring European countries, the Italian being the most beautiful, artistic and eye-catching (Fox, Maserin, Extrema Ratio...)

It may not be a usable knife, per se, but I'll never part with it. Irreplaceable.
I made it from a section of marble from one of Saddam's palaces. My boss, COL P., got it for me. I made a few other objects for my other bosses in exchange for getting to keep a piece for myself.
Polished-Dagger-002.jpg

Dagger-002.jpg

Copy-3-of-Palace-Marble.jpg

Copy-of-VoA-1.jpg

In the '70's, my dad bought a Buck 112. He was an avid fisherman and custom bike builder. As far back as I can remember, he wore that knife on his belt every day; I have a picture of him on a road trip from '74 and it's just visible.

He never babied or was even particularly careful with the knife; he saw it as a tool and wasn't afraid to use it as such. That knife gutted salmon, pounded tent stakes, opened cans. It got used as a prybar, screwdriver, guywire peg, and even occasionally as a knife. After at least 15 years of daily wear, the sheath gave out. He tried pocket carrying for a while but couldn't get used to it (with reason; it's a heavy knife). For a while he put it away in his tackle box, but at least every couple of days I'd see him reach for it before he remembered.

When I got my first job shortly after (I was around 13-14 at the time), one of the first things I bought was a nice custom sheath to give him for his birthday. Now, at that time, my dad was not a man of many words or open emotion; but I'll tell you this: with one exception (which I'll get to in a minute) I never saw him without that sheath on his belt again, and that said a lot to me that I don't think he could.

A few years after that, we were on a road trip in a pretty remote area and had to perform an emergency tire patch (this was before anyone other than big city lawyers and brokers had cell phones). The Buck got pressed into service as a tire bead lever. As we were putting the tire back together, the blade snapped in half. (I cringe now, thinking about all the things I saw done to that blade over the years, but I'll say this: it got the job done and got us home.) Once again the knife got put away for a while. At first I bought my dad a 110 to replace it (I didn't even know the difference at the time - the 112 wasn't readily available). He used it sometimes, but he really felt it was too big for everyday tasks. So without telling him, I wrote Buck a letter asking if they'd fix it. I told them that it broke while doing something that knife was never designed for; it wasn't a warranty issue, I'd pay for the repairs, I just wanted it fixed. They replied, telling me to send it in and they'd let me know what they could do. Two weeks after I sent it off, they sent it back with a new blade, tuned and polished up like new - at no charge.

About a year ago, my father passed suddenly. About a month and a half afterward, my mother came to me and said, "I've been looking for this for a while; I finally found it. Would you like to have it?" And in her hand was The Buck, still in its sheath. Uh, you bet your... That is, of course I would.

The sheath is starting to show its age; it's almost 20 years old, after all. Now, I considered keeping it in the safe for a minute, but after everything, I don't think Dad'd be happy to know it was rusting away in a drawer somewhere. So I bought a new sheath and have been wearing it most days. I'm more careful with it than he was, but by God it's gonna get used.

So no, that's the one knife I own that will never be sold. The only way that Buck leaves me is by passing to my daughter when I go.

I'll add pictures when I get home.

Everything can be parted with, including gifts or those which carry personal sentimental value. Gifts can be regifted, blades can be passed on to the next generation...

Back