Linking pics stopped working

The problem here is in older threads.

This thread had pictures from a show and now the links are broken. I could go back, find those pictures and upload them to imgur and post direct links but I"m not going too. It' not the end of the world.

This one though is all red Xs too now.

Be glad when the photo issue gets squared away. I have tons of photos posted on this forum over the years. Frustrating. And it seems to have gotten worse.

It’s definitely gotten worse in the last few days. And I agree about the old posts, I’ve always enjoyed going back in certain threads and looking at old posts, and it’s frustrating to see posts people put a lot of effort into riddled with these red X’s.

The problem here is in older threads.

This thread had pictures from a show and now the links are broken. I could go back, find those pictures and upload them to imgur and post direct links but I"m not going too. It' not the end of the world.

This one though is all red Xs too now.

Yep, threads like that vintage catalog thread are a mess. Tons of great info, and it’s all still there, you just can’t see it. 🙁

It’s definitely gotten worse in the last few days. And I agree about the old posts, I’ve always enjoyed going back in certain threads and looking at old posts, and it’s frustrating to see posts people put a lot of effort into riddled with these red X’s.

Yep, threads like that vintage catalog thread are a mess. Tons of great info, and it’s all still there, you just can’t see it. 🙁
When the new forum software was loaded a few months back, about half of my photos in the thread I'm about to post showed. Now, nothing: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/12th-anniversary-photo-heavy.1708668/

No idea why this seems to be so hard to address....

But it makes it pretty to justify continuing to be a paying member.

UPDATE: Several days later and still no fix. I've been a member on here for a decade, and most of my pics are gone. I'm active on plenty of other forums where this is never an issue. WTF?!?

Last edited:
No idea why this seems to be so hard to address....

But it makes it pretty to justify continuing to be a paying member.

UPDATE: Several days later and still no fix. I've been a member on here for a decade, and most of my pics are gone. I'm active on plenty of other forums where this is never an issue. WTF?!?
I have no tool bar at all - sometime tonight it went all gray and nothing is available in the posting window. Can’t format text, can’t insert links, can’t insert smilies, photos or media. This is the only forum where I’ve had to pay for basic posting features that are free everywhere else, and most of them use this same Xenforo forum software. Every other one works fine. I don’t want to be that guy, and I know glitches happen, but the image crap has been going on for quite some time, and now this. I’m not a happy member. Where’s all that membership money going?

I have no tool bar at all - sometime tonight it went all gray and nothing is available in the posting window. Can’t format text, can’t insert links, can’t insert smilies, photos or media. This is the only forum where I’ve had to pay for basic posting features that are free everywhere else, and most of them use this same Xenforo forum software. Every other one works fine. I don’t want to be that guy, and I know glitches happen, but the image crap has been going on for quite some time, and now this. I’m not a happy member. Where’s all that membership money going?
Not a glitch; you inadvertently selected the "toggle BB code" switch.
Hit the brackets to bring back formatting:
TsoSQWT.jpg

I keep seeing weirdo image hosting sites that are having problems with their images being proxied because their servers aren't responding in a timely manner.

Imgur isn't having problems.

Images hosted on our site are fine.

I'll talk with our contractor about increasing proxy retrieval times. We'll see what happens. In the meantime I encourage you to use imgur or host the images on here.

Everything you upload to imgur belongs to them. Might be ok for other hobbyist like me, but for knifemakers, too ?

“any file or content you upload to the public portions of our site, you grant Imgur a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable worldwide license (with sublicense and assignment rights) to use, to display online and in any present or future media, to create derivative works of, to allow downloads of, and/or distribute any such file or content.”

With over 100 mio accounts, smugmug (and/including flickr) is not a “weirdo” hosting site.

Uploading here imposes size limits, and there is a quota.

Tell you what, give me the image hosting site names you are using. I'll see about setting up proxy bypasses for them. I don't need a ton of BS arguments
Everything you upload to imgur belongs to them.
Yeah that's what happens when you don't host your own stuff, you deal with end user agreements. Wait until you see the terms of service for Apple, Google and various other apps you use without a 2nd thought.

With over 100 mio accounts, smugmug (and/including flickr) is not a “weirdo” hosting site.
Are you really going to get into an argument with me about generic statements? Because I assure you this is not a smart tactical move.

Tell you what, give me the image hosting site names you are using. I'll see about setting up proxy bypasses for them. I don't need a ton of BS arguments

Yeah that's what happens when you don't host your own stuff, you deal with end user agreements. Wait until you see the terms of service for Apple, Google and various other apps you use without a 2nd thought.

Are you really going to get into an argument with me about generic statements? Because I assure you this is not a smart tactical move.
Thanks Spark, I appreciate it. IMGBB is what I use and also seems to be a fairly common one.

I really feel the salient point in this issue is that the architecture of the website has a feature to insert linked images. It's not working.

In the case of some of the threads it's easy to say you have to use Imgur etc. and live with it. In the case of threads where historical images/references are being loaded like the one Blues started with the Vintage Knife Catalogs it's not ideal.

Whoever's hositng the site isn't living up to their obligations. IT folks can talk all they want about how HTTPS is the future but until they burn down the whole web and start fresh that's a cop out.

Back