Machax for Brute

I broke my Effingham era Brute BK1, a while back, and it was my favorite "user".

I have acquired several Machaxes BK4's and would like to trade for 1 or more user Brutes.

email: jaw416@gmail.com

Last edited:
Hey Thumper...

Do you still have the pieces and how, if I may ask, did you manage to break it and where did it break....etc, etc, etc.....Please let me know.... Thank You...

All Best...

ethan

Ethan,

I am a wildlife biologist/forester, that used to use your Brute "BK1" on almost a daily basis. From setting beaver traps, to brushing up duck blinds to clearing shooting lanes, I've never used anything better.

Before I tell you my tale of woe about my Brute, I guess I need to describe myself a little better. I am a little unusual in that in 1985 I was in an oilfield accident that resulted in the crush/loss of all of the fingers and thumb on my left hand (Oh, yea you guessed it I WAS left handed). The fingers and thumb of my right hand was also crushed EXCEPT for my complete little finger and 2/3 of my ring finger. Yes, all I've got left is a little finger and 2/3rds of my ring finger. I posted a fair pic of my hands (showing the teeth on a baboon).

100_0285.jpg
[/IMG]

So, after I purchased your Brute, I modified it by removing the handle scales and welding a couple of "slices" of 1.25 inch pipe in a "OO" arrangement to the underside, to provide me with a "better" grip.

I'll post some pics of the knife, in a day or so. (I'm out of town at the moment).

Now on to the particulars of the break!

I was cutting a Mesquite limb off that had grew up through the "wings" on a cattle guard and was scraping vehicles that went over it. I had bent the limb over and had made about 3 "licks" on it, and in my estimation had 1 more "lick" to go, ....... I was wrong.

The last stroke went all the way through the limb and then thie tip of the Brute hit the pipe "wing" and the blade broke clean into about halfway between the tip and the handle. Needless to say, I was sick to my stomach.

I am entirely at fault here .... did not, nor would not expect a warranty to cover this, so I never contacted anyone.

I have tried to find another Brute, but no dice.

I have had the good fortune to pick up 3 Machaxes though, but the geometry of the blade just does not fit my particular situation at all.

Thanks,
Jeff

Wow what a story. The man that wore out a Becker Brute through honest work, amazing. I wish I had a Brute to pass onto you as much as I'd like one for myself. I think it would see far more use with you than me and that is one thing I really do like about Becker knives that they are made to be used. Hopefully some one here has one for you. Best Of luck

BTW Where in the world do they have cattle grates, Mesquite and baboons?

Here is a shot of the entire knife.

100_0750.jpg

A close up of the tip where it hit the "pipe". Not much damage there! I couldn't believe it broke, especially where it did. A chip knocked out of the tip, or even the point broken off I would understand ...... but the knife breaking in half several inches away from the impact zone??

100_0753.jpg

Close up of the break itself.

100_0754.jpg

Long Rider

TEXAS!!!!!!, man....... TEXAS!!!......

Seriously, the baboon was in Zimbabwae, Africa ... a litlle side trip I made!
It was the only "digital" shot of me with my hands showing, I could find on short notice.

Hey Thumper....

Thanks for posting the pics and sharing your story....As a confirmed lover of carbon steels I am tempted to say big whoppers should not be stainless steel....BUT I have some stainless big whoppers that have taken a tremendous amount of abuse and are still intact....I suspect a heat treat problem contributed to the failure as I do not think it should have failed IN THE MANNER IT DID..........Like you I could buy a huge chunk out of the blade at the point of impact, and would cheerfully lay it all on you!!!!!lol...

I have only one BRUTE that I know of and although you appear to be a fine fellow you ain't gonna get that one.... but I am going to check the recesses of the mess I call a shop and see what I can see......

I am always upset when one of the"kids" screws up on a customer and I appreciate your understanding......Thanks again for sharing your experiences......

All Best...

ethan

Ethan,

The furtherest thing from my mind, in starting this thread, was trying to get a freebie, or a warranty claim, especially from you. But your even considering "looking in the shop" shows what a consumate gentleman you are!

HOWEVER, ...... I did hope to entice someone to part with thier Brute in a trade for MY Machax!

How about it guys?? Don't you Machax lovers need a 2cnd!

Remember 2 is 1 and 1 is none! (Just look at me..... my 1 Brute broke .... so now 1 is none!)

Thanks,
Jeff

well, if you can't get a brute in trade, and for the money they are going for NOW... oh lordy...

maybe you can get someone like bill siegle to make you one of his bolo/chopper patterns to your specs and have it be "brute like". he does some sweet work in 5160, nice heat treats, and a wicked edge. he might even be able to craft in your custom rings at the same time. possibly for the same money a used ebay brute goes for.

i suppose two this is an alert of the buyers at KaBar. maybe the brute never sold, or the true numbers were never released by camillus (rumors!?) but one thing is for sure. every last brute for sale lately, regardless of price, has sold. there IS demand. now if not then, to be sure. same goes for the machax, and the magnum camp, and the crewman. yow...

say, wharncliff ;)

Bladite

I agree 100% Bladite,
The Brute is fetching a hefty price and all sale....I have been hit up numerous times to part with my so called extra one...but I'd have to see some bad times to let her go ! the BK1 is my favorite Becker product....

I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I tell you we admire you for getting out there and "using knives" after your accident

That took GUTS and Brains to come up with the solution you did!!!

If you can not locate a Brute-

-Have Bill Siegle make you a knife to your specs--

Here is some of the work he can do

DSC05702.jpg

DSC05740.jpg

DSC06859.jpg

DSC06924.jpg

Long Rider

TEXAS!!!!!!, man....... TEXAS!!!......

Seriously, the baboon was in Zimbabwae, Africa ... a litlle side trip I made!
It was the only "digital" shot of me with my hands showing, I could find on short notice.
Ahhhhh no I see. Dunno if the pun was intended or not. Good one either way

but I am going to check the recesses of the mess I call a shop and see what I can see......
Once again evidence that you are a stand up guy. Easy enough to side step had you chosen to do so. Obviously that Brute was not safe queen, it was a hard use tool even Brutal use. Good luck with your search

WILLIAM.M, Those are some prime looking knives but not a Brute

I walked away from the computer for a few minutes ruminating about this thread, and a couple things occured to me: IF you can't find another brute, as a last resort, you MIGHT try a BK9, although the differences between it and the brute are significant, in terms of reach. OR... It occured to me that a Trace Rinaldi Armaggeddon is fairly similar in size and shape (although a bit thicker, i think, so maybe a little heavier). The geometry is different, but close... TOPS makes one in 1095 for around $225; The "real deal" From Trace Rinaldi in A2 starts at around $600, if memory serves...
Don't get me wrong, like i say, that's only if you cant find another brute -- I love Becker knives and don't want to sound like a detractor! My first "real" knives were The BK7, the Becker Necker, the BK9, and of course the incomparable Campanion... Good luck to you either way!
-Kevin
Oh and P.s. I agree with Bill M. -- Maybe a maker like Siegle, Grayman, Justin Gingrich, Scott Gossman, etc. could whip one up to your specs without breaking the bank. Might be worth a consult, and all are super cool, though none of them is Ethan Becker (of whose blades I was an admirer way before i had any idea how many other things he had earned worldwide fame for!)

Last edited:
Hey Thumper.....

The only BRUTE I could find in the mess was the one I knew was there....Sorry about that!!!....Certainly a Trace made ARMAGEDDON would be an EXCELLENT substitute as would a TOPS version......I LOVE my ARMAGEDDONS they are industrial grade all the way....There is still a chance I have overlooked something......

BTW ain't them Seigels purty.....

All Best....

ethan

Hey Thumper.....

The only BRUTE I could find in the mess was the one I knew was there....Sorry about that!!!....Certainly a Trace made ARMAGEDDON would be an EXCELLENT substitute as would a TOPS version......I LOVE my ARMAGEDDONS they are industrial grade all the way....There is still a chance I have overlooked something......

ethan

now if you could only find a walnut handled machax ;)

and SWEEEEET, i have a BK-77 coming my way! yar. get them all.

Bladite

I got my Brute on ebay for $ 83.00 I felt like I had just won a raffle,and it was in MINT shape,it looked like it had never been touched other than the owners name painted on the sheath which came off really easy,but I can't see myself beating it up,I have a 20 dollar kukri that I modified for tough work,they are made of good carbon steel and with a little cold blueing they hold up pretty well. The best part is the price and I'm not worried about how hard I beat it.

Thumper tried to PM you have you seen the Brute on E-bay? Hopefully folks won't drive the price up to high. PM or email me for the link if you like

Last edited:
Back