Machax for Brute

I think the OP should consider a semi custom or custom knife.... The Brute is a Awesome knife but by weilding on the BK1 to fit your needs,I think you hurt the temper of the brute that may of led to the fracture point...and if you find a BK1 and perform the same act you'll have another BK1 failure down the road...... I am sure there are a few makers on BF that could make a knife to your specs. Take Care

The Brute is a Awesome knife but by weilding on the BK1 to fit your needs,I think you hurt the temper of the brute that may of led to the fracture point...and if you find a BK1 and perform the same act you'll have another BK1 failure down the road......

I respectfully disagree. Looking at where the knife actually broke, I can not see how that would be due to the welding of those rings. I have welded in the past but I am no welder. Could you explain why the blade would break so far away from the welds?

Thanks

Paul

I respectfully disagree. Looking at where the knife actually broke, I can not see how that would be due to the welding of those rings. I have welded in the past but I am no welder. Could you explain why the blade would break so far away from the welds?
Thanks Paul

as well, a spot weld, in such an area as the handle, with enough thermal mass or the blade wrapped in a wet rag, probably would not exceed temps that would've interfered with the original heat treat.

now, yah, if you used a torch, and got that whole thing cherry red, maybe.

i've welded a number of things, and the majority of the heat from the welded zone would not travel more than an inch or two, and was easily dealt with by a wet rag beforehand. the metal was touchable immediately after.

Bladite

To me IMO, If you weld on a metal no matter 1095 -INFI it will effect the heat treatment and or the RC and cause a variation in the steel, and since he welded tandem rings near the handle area and heat disapates out evenly the most affected portion was the blade..I do not know why it snapped right there in that specific spot...but I would never weld on any knife or anybody elses and expect to depend on the knife for work, play or survival....Did you see the gorilla welds on those rings,(sure there ground down)that was some serious heat and a wet rag will not stop(may slow down) that heat from transferring beyond the welded area. Just something I would never do...

look at the picture of a BK9 & BK1 maybe you could modify a current production BK9 to you fit your needs
IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

Texastonydobbs ---I guess you never "HAD" to modify anything so you could use it.

To me this is a TOOL, not a work of art (allthough I do think it is damn fine looking)!

I USE them ..... not admire them sitting on a shelf! But if I can not get an appropiate hold on it........it is USELESS to me.

I sincerly hope no one ever HAS to utilize anything so thier very life may depend on it, but if you do, then the TOOLS you use had better have stood the test of time AND hard use!

As a matter of fact those were "tacs" Not "WELDS", and they were put on 1 at a time while using a heat sink, and allowing the peice to completly cool in between, the heat never traveled AT ALL. I do not believe the "WELDING" significantly affected the metal, ............... much less that far from the break.

I have aquired a couple of BK9's and do plan on modifiying them the same way ......
SO I CAN USE them. If they break, ............. I guess I'll get some more!

The alternative is to sit them on a shelf...... while I sit on the couch, that way nothing will get harmed!

LOL......dont get pissy with me...I try to offer you some help...I have more users that get used....than never mind I am not going to get into any BS with you over Beckers or modifiying this or that (,BK's in picture) I purchased the becker's in this condition & all will be users... I am glad your out and about....and not lying around watch rust grow on the blades... I stated that it was my opinion on welding....not a fact,I understand your need to modify the blade...Sorry I am not allowed to express my view on this subject. I did aquire this BK1 to trade for a BK4 from you if you still want one...

"but I would never weld on any knife or anybody elses and expect to depend on the knife for work, play or survival....Did you see the gorilla welds on those rings,(sure there ground down)that was some serious heat and a wet rag will not stop(may slow down) that heat from transferring beyond the welded area. Just something I would never do..."

Your opinion is duly noted, but I did consider those possibilities BEFORE, I began. If I did not HAVE to do it then I would not. If there was/is a better way, by all means let me know........ but that's the best I could come up with.

Did not intend to sound "pissy", but did intend to address the absolute need to modify. The mods were not done on a whim or for no reason!

I've been told I do not take critisim well ............so I extend my apology.

On a more pleasant note......... Heck yes, I would love to make a trade. Shoot me an email and I'll send pics of my Machaxes, and you can pick the one you want.

is there any way you could modify the slabs, but bolting on a thin metal insert between the filed down slabs, and weld the rings to the insert, not the blade, that way, the blade stays factory, and you could potentially make several such inserts to fit a variety of becker blades.

Bladite

is there any way you could modify the slabs, but bolting on a thin metal insert between the filed down slabs, and weld the rings to the insert, not the blade, that way, the blade stays factory, and you could potentially make several such inserts to fit a variety of becker blades.

Bladite

Now that sounds like a great idea though from what Thumper said the spot welds did not heat the knife enough to cause the failure. Really from the look of the pics I tend to agree. From the little welding I have done I do know how he said it was does sounds perfectly credible. More likely the guy is an ape. Forgot his own strength and beat the Brute to death, the way he probably beat that poor baboon to death.

I'm joking Thumper :D don't hit me

Hey Thumper.....

The only BRUTE I could find in the mess was the one I knew was there....Sorry about that!!!....Certainly a Trace made ARMAGEDDON would be an EXCELLENT substitute as would a TOPS version......I LOVE my ARMAGEDDONS they are industrial grade all the way....There is still a chance I have overlooked something......

BTW ain't them Seigels purty.....

All Best....

ethan

Hey Ethan! Its always great to hear kind words about my work from you my friend.:thumbup: Also THANKS for not sharing the story about when you bought one of those big boys from me at Blade a few years back..ha!!:eek::D

Tony,

A MachAx is headed your way.

If you are only half as happy as I am, you'll be tickled plumb to death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, MANY Thanks!

Jeff

Now that sounds like a great idea though from what Thumper said the spot welds did not heat the knife enough to cause the failure. Really from the look of the pics I tend to agree. From the little welding I have done I do know how he said it was does sounds perfectly credible. More likely the guy is an ape. Forgot his own strength and beat the Brute to death, the way he probably beat that poor baboon to death.

I'm joking Thumper :D don't hit me

Long.Rider

I did not realize you knew me, personally.

In fact, its a little erie........ you actually describe me a little too well.

I've been called many things ........ heavy handed........ being one!

My compadres from South TX, Nicknamed me "Manos el Lumbre'" (Hands of Fire).

I tend to treat everything a little rough..... Hell, just look at my hands! If I don't let up on my own body, do ya' think I treat anything else any better!

Look again at the picture ........ did you see the other baboon?

On the right side of the truck bed .

He smarted off once and ..........Thumper!!!!!!!!!!!!

i believe i've mentioned Siegle in this thread before... but i got to mention it again:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634630

until/unless the brute is reissued (praise KABAR), i'm hankering for the chopper mentioned in that link. jeebus :)

course, i'm eagerly waiting for a machax reissue/variant...

and brown santa delivered a few more Old Ones to use and drool over :) the fun never ends!

Bladite

Tony,

A MachAx is headed your way.

If you are only half as happy as I am, you'll be tickled plumb to death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, MANY Thanks!

Jeff

:thumbup: I picked it up this morning
I am happy,love the scale job...I will post pics later ! :D

Back