Most Iconic Swiss Army Knife

I think it has to be the Swisschamp by most measures. But for me it's the Black Beauty.
I couldn't get one, so I just got a Black Pioneer instead, which is still pretty awesome.

There were so many different models.

The Tinker Small appears in the pilot episode along with the following two episodes. After that it varies with each episode, with some episodes having more than one model make an appearance.

It was brilliant marketing and a great show for kids (with the exception of the anti-gun tilt) for teaching them to improvise. I think the final episode of "Psych" showed some SAKs as well.

I've often wondered if there is a tv series where a plier based "multi-tool" was one of the "stars"?

I think "Longmire" was a big Buck 110 user.

When you think of Swiss Army Knives, which model is the one you think or is the most iconic?
I agree it is the Huntsman (or Woodsman -- there was some overlap for a while, I think). My first SAK (safely kept out of harm's way at the bottom of Ocracoke Harbor since 1985) was a Huntsman from when that model did not have the package hook. Some folks see smaller models and ask, "Where is the . . . X . . . tool?" whereas even a knife nut like me looks at the Swisschamp and thinks, "Yikes!"

But what makes the SAK an icon more than the actual tools or size are the oval profile and red plastic scales. I can travel most anywhere in the world and never get a second look at an SAK in my luggage. Before 9/11 I flew with an SAK all the time. Only El Al אל על ever made me hand it over in their secondary security screening in 1983 and I got back at Ben Gurion.

Zieg

Last edited:
It was brilliant marketing and a great show for kids (with the exception of the anti-gun tilt) for teaching them to improvise. I think the final episode of "Psych" showed some SAKs as well.

I've often wondered if there is a tv series where a plier based "multi-tool" was one of the "stars"?

I think "Longmire" was a big Buck 110 user.
Yeah, Walt Longmire carries a 110 in the books and the TV show. Don't know about the pliers based tool, but Dr Who usually has a sound-based multitool (I don't remember the brand he carries -- something from Gallifrey, most likely).

Zieg

Last edited:
Yeah, Walt Longmire carries a 110 in the books and the TV show. Don't know about the pliers based tool, but Dr Who usually has a sound-based multitool (I don't remember the brand he carries -- something from Gallifrey, most likely).

Zieg

No, in the books, Walt Longmire carried a "bone handled Case. The author does not go into detail on model or what bone it is, other than 'well worn.'

Most iconic is the ubiquitous classic. But it's not even the best in that size, that honor goes to Rambler! Most favorite SAK I have is the Compact. Perfection when carried with the knipex, there's very little that these small tools can't do in their area.

No, in the books, Walt Longmire carried a "bone handled Case. The author does not go into detail on model or what bone it is, other than 'well worn.'
Ah! I was misremembering a radio interview with the author. I happily stand corrected!

Zieg

Ah! I was misremembering a radio interview with the author. I happily stand corrected!

Zieg

The books were actually better than the tv show. Craig Johnson writes in a very vivid style, and the literary Walt Longmire actually has a good sense of humor and the books are sometimes funny. And the TV show did not have Dog in it. Walt Longmire had a huge mutt, part Newfoundland and part something else very huge. Actually named "Dog".

Numerous times in the books, Walt has to cut something, and he pulls our a well worn old Case with bone handles. They probably used a Buck in the show for visual effect on film.

Back