New XM-18 4th Gen

I just received my new scale and tool today. The Pond is very appealing and aesthetically preferred to my Orange scale. Let's just hope that I don't drop it in the brush like my mislaid Spyderco Digicam Military and Emerson Mini A100. :(

First Take Down:

IMG_1938_zps441b8686.jpg

IMG_1940_zpsd81bf070.jpg

The Armorer's Tool is quite hefty and an appropriate accessory to the XM-18.
IMG_1941_zpsc2c665d7.jpg

IMG_1942_zps62c0a2b2.jpg

IMG_1943_zps2b72642f.jpg

IMG_1944_zps0f6e38f8.jpg

IMG_1945_zps9cc6eeaa.jpg

IMG_1947_zpsd3d85846.jpg

IMG_1949_zps89e8f23c.jpg

IMG_1954_zps6e649e0d.jpg

Notice the tinge of translucency along the scale's fringes when exposed to backlight.
IMG_1959_zpsdff506a6.jpg

The shimmering multicolor logo now matches the scale.
IMG_1965_zps8ea99582.jpg

IMG_1967_zps1d421cf8.jpg

IMG_1968_zps8aa15907.jpg

Awesome pics of the scale replacement. I have an Armorer's tool on the way and I think your pics will definitely help. The Pond Scum looks awesome! Well done.

Took the kids to the range for some night-fire exercises and brought the XM-18 along for the fun.

Not exactly tight groups but they're coming along.
IMG_1984_zpsd30b7e9e.jpg

IMG_1975_zpsfd84dd9d.jpg

IMG_1974_zpsf141f6de.jpg

IMG_1978_zps2fe38ba6.jpg

Who else hates policing-up brass after firing? Yeah, the Hinderer doesn't like it much either.:thumbdn:
IMG_1980_zps4ea8bca1.jpg

Great pics man!! Very nice knife. I love switching scales. I almost switch weekly.
So far I got: Smooth CF, Texutred CF, Frag CF, Frag OD, Digicam.

I'm currently looking for an Orange to round things out.. Then I think I'll be good.. I think.
Pond Scum does look pretty badass.. :)

Ah, the simple things. Looks like a good time was had, nothing wrong with those groups, we all get better with practice.

Great pics man!! Very nice knife. I love switching scales. I almost switch weekly.
So far I got: Smooth CF, Texutred CF, Frag CF, Frag OD, Digicam.

I'm currently looking for an Orange to round things out.. Then I think I'll be good.. I think.
Pond Scum does look pretty badass.. :)

Having options is nice, and being able to easily swap the scales on the XMs is a huge plus.

Hey Useagee I think we're xm18 brothers.... I got my xm18 3.5 with an orange scale on the same Saturday you did, and then I ought an armorers kit and a pond scum scale right after that! Every time I look at this link I end up cracking up, now you've got snow all over your knife, and I'm a ski patroller with my knife in the snow! Have you got a carbon fiber scale yet? I just fitted one.... Seriously I've had a great time following this post and looking at your photos.... The headphone amp was way killer...

image_zpse3399485.jpg

image_zps0b910bb3.jpg

image_zps0b0936b6.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Hey Useagee I think we're xm18 brothers.... I got my xm18 3.5 with an orange scale on the same Saturday you did, and then I ought an armorers kit and a pond scum scale right after that! Every time I look at this link I end up cracking up, now you've got snow all over your knife, and I'm a ski patroller with my knife in the snow! Have you got a carbon fiber scale yet? I just fitted one.... Seriously I've had a great time following this post and looking at your photos.... The headphone amp was way killer...

Thank you,

Your orange scale goes extremely well with your ski patrol garb. The timing of your inquiry regarding acquiring a CF scale is uncanny as I was heavily researching the subject earlier today. Perhaps its the natural progression, well-traveled, beaten path of new 3.5" XM-18 owners. In any case, you have superb taste.

IMG_2098_zpsd4a746af.jpg

IMG_1999_zpsc8d56769.jpg

Last edited:
Back at you! Right down to that Maratec Zulu watch band...... Love that Diver!!

Hey Usagee - is the blade above your XM in the first set of photos a custom or production knife? Great Sinn EZM! Still love my U1. Cheers

I am waiting until they are ready to take orders on the current run of 3.5s. This will be my first time ordering a hinderer and i can't. Wait to get it. Just curious after reading this thread as to how the ordering process works. I have sent in my firefighter/first responder confirmation so that is taken care of i assume. But it seems as though the scale options aren't guaranteed from what i read on here? Is this correct and is there anything else i should be expecting when i do get to place my order?

I am waiting until they are ready to take orders on the current run of 3.5s. This will be my first time ordering a hinderer and i can't. Wait to get it. Just curious after reading this thread as to how the ordering process works. I have sent in my firefighter/first responder confirmation so that is taken care of i assume. But it seems as though the scale options aren't guaranteed from what i read on here? Is this correct and is there anything else i should be expecting when i do get to place my order?

Send an email to Rob (Rob@RickHindererKnives.com) He will have ordering details in his reply including what options are available in the current/upcoming run.

I really like the pond scum, but prefer my smooth CF above all my colors. Naturally, a Ti scale will be the culmination of my dreams.

IMG_0059_zps0ff6d769.jpg

BTW, Rubicon, you were absolutely correct. I played with my 3.5" CF over the last 2 days, and am definitely keeping it. Now the 3" and 3.5" both feel right. Don't know how you knew it, maybe you are psychic.

Back