Paypal, the forums, ethics, and you.

A lot to consider, I do not agree with the politics of a lot of corporations, But, If I want an I-phone, I am going to have use one of them anyway. Certain software companies have policies that are totally immoral to me, but I am forced to use them if I want to use their software.

I say use them to increase your revenue stream and help some members who do not have anything but PP.

Another idea is in a PM.
Jim

A lot to consider, I do not agree with the politics of a lot of corporations, But, If I want an I-phone, I am going to have use one of them anyway. Certain software companies have policies that are totally immoral to me, but I am forced to use them if I want to use their software.

I say use them to increase your revenue stream and help some members who do not have anything but PP.

Another idea is in a PM.
Jim

If you want an iPhone you have to use apple, but if you want a phone to call people there is a host of providers out there.

Currently paypal has the corner market on individuals giving money between individuals online. From and individual to a business is another story.

If you want an iPhone you have to use apple, but if you want a phone to call people there is a host of providers out there.

Currently paypal has the corner market on individuals giving money between individuals online. From and individual to a business is another story.

There are TWO corporations involved with the Iphone, somebody has to provide network access and that is the corporation I have no respect for.;)
Jim

There are TWO corporations involved with the Iphone, somebody has to provide network access and that is the corporation I have no respect for.;)
Jim

:foot: Okay. ;)

Of course, you can use any provider with a SIM card. Just unlock the phone. :D And don't get caught.

I-Phones asside...

Paypal is convenient, period.
You can buy/sell in a seperate "fund" from your everyday dinero, so i use it when i can...

on the other hand, sometimes it does really get to me that i contribute to a company that is so outspoken and firmly against some things i hold near and dear to...

in the end SPARK, you have too sleep with yourself, i find it most courteous you would even ask us publicly!

as in ALL business, take yourself "personally" out of it, make it a "business" decision, will this INCREASE business...Y or N...

from there, if your personal feelings are still that strong against it, DO NOT do it.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Best,
Jeff

What happens if Paypal (or eBay, or whatever parent holding company) decides to support someone politically? Think worst case. You're supporting Paypal by allowing it as a payment option.

My vote is stick to your guns. Paypal is fine for private sales, that you can't really control. The site as a whole you can, and I'd much rather support you, and you alone, then you and an anti-gun / anti-weapon company.

DITTO!;)

Gibby

I WON'T use paypal because of this. Just an opinion, not going to judge anyone.

Paypal is the best way to send money to the US from overseas, and no, I do not agree with their policies... but I do find them very convenient:)!

I think that it would help widen your supporting audience.

Guido

I am not crazy about PayPal either. BUT, I think it would bring you MORE business if you used it. I hate to admit it, but it IS useful.

Ethically, not an easy choice.

I don't support PayPal, either. And I only use it when I must -- but, I'm afraid, I do use it.

It would certainly make life easier for your overseas patrons ... :eek:

This is not a black and white world. Every day, you have to find a balance. On balance, it would probably be best to allow its use.

Ooof. Hated to type that.:(

Maybe the best compromise would be allowing it as a payment option for Intl. transactions only? We Americans have many options for which to pay, but our overseas brothers & sisters... Not so many. Just a thought. :)

Josh K, I forgot about that policy with PayPal, thx for reminding me. :thumbup:

I have been using Paypal for a few yrs. now for buying and selling,politics aside,it is the most convenient way,especially international-but it is your forum--Regards Butch

Personally, I do stick to my guns, and refuse to support PayPal in any form. But that's easy for me to do - it's not costing me any money. I don't envy you this dilemma.

I would upgrade my membership immediately if paypal was an option.I am sure many overseas members would do likewise.

I use Paypal. I don't belive Paypal or anyone else has a plan to take away my guns. Paypal is a system and like all systems can break down from time to time. However, overall I believe the good outweighs the bad.

Phillip :)

Well yeah, when it comes to ethics it's never easy. Not being from the USA myself I used to be a bit annoyed at the No PayPal-rule. But I understand the reasoning even if it's because of a problem that I can't do jack about. Your house, your rules. Agreed to and signed when I registered.

FWIW, I didn't find it difficult to get the paid membership with credit card from 1SKS. Easily doable for us intenational customers once you get past the "no international" warnings and remember it doesn't apply to memberships purchased.

But I reckon there's also those who don't have a credit card or don't want to use it, I only got my first one a couple of years ago to be able to buy stuff from abroad. I don't think I could easily obtain a US money order and cheques are something that hardly anyone uses here anymore. Wire transfer to a US bank would probably cost a helluvalot but I'm not sure. In such cases PayPal could be handy and convenient.

Tough choices to make indeed when it's about both business and ethics. I can't really fight your gun-and knife-grabbers from over here but I'll try to be supportive in some way at least. :thumbup:

I use paypal becase it works well. I dont take their politics into my decision. I don't see knives as weapons and us them as tools. My stance on guns is the same if you use them as tools.

Paypal sucks! At least their policies do. I wish there was a different, more "weapon-friendly" alternative.

That being said, I do use it - when I have to - to pay for things. (I buy things on Feebay sometimes)

Then again, I have a Mastercard credit/debit card that I would much rather use instead when possible. Personally, if there is no rush, I would rather just get a Postal Money Order and pay with that.

I have bought knives using Paypal where the seller pleaded with me not to mention in any way in the notes section that the purchase was knife related because Paypal would delay payment to them. I don't know if there is an truth to this, but seeing how anti-gun they are, I can believe it.

I would advise against using Paypal, but ultimately, the decision is yours as the owner to make.

Back