perfect chopping board HI kitchen knives

Top line says literally (in same order as characters) - "lasting vigorous" plate iron wood chopping block

I looked up ironwood and the "official" translation I got is not what the picture showed though.

Chinese is not read or comprehended like English, hard to explain, but there isn't any tenses, pronouns, adverbs, etc....

In fact, just because you see and translate two words, does not mean that the literal translation is what it really means.

I'll have one of my friends translate Blue's attachment.

Cul that isn't the one that used to be in the middle of that restaurant kitchen that we talked about a while back? Man what a GREAT board and if that is the cleaver I remember that is incredible too. Would LOVE to see a picture of that old one! I still miss that place.

No it isn't "that one", but the same type, yes.

Almost every restaurant in Chinatown has one, if not, a few.

That place will be opening up in a new location by the way. Won't be ready for a few months yet.

So here is a proper translation-

"Glorious" brand ironwood chopping block
(Glorious is the brand name)

The "proper" translation for ironwood is 铁力木 (iron strength wood) but they shortened it to just 铁木 (iron wood), Chinese like to make abbreviations like that.

The character for "brand" is the same as "tile" and "plate" and a bunch of other things (context dependent). I was thinking the "" contained an adjective which threw me off.

Last edited:
Got me a square box in today! My ironwood block came in and it is freekin heavy stuff. I ordered the 16" diameter by 4" thick ironwood block.

4d7a47033ab4208230926e809f7940e5

It is a solid heavy block and dont think id split it even with my 18" AKB. They did send me a bottle of block oil which has "refined seed oil, lemon oil, vitamin E, and carotene. Smells good and is pretty dang thick stuff. Ive rubbed it down and am going to let it soak for a week or so.

52fe1a4b7e2bf4d1708e3e10a305e694

Its is not 4" thick tho. Just under three inches. Maybe that was the rough dimensions? Still thick enough to fit my needs. Very cool block. Good find Blue!

Philll: Thanks for the link on them large countertop blocks. Thats exactly what I want when I build my real kitchen in the dome. Right now I need something portable to move around the tiny kitchen im using now and still use big choppers like AKB's and stuff like your making. In a couple years ill finish building out my dome and half of it will be kitchen:D

[...] and half of it will be kitchen:D

It's either you're in love with cooking, either your Better Half makes you do the cooking. I know, whatever the situation, you'll say I got it right the 1st time, so I won't mention it anymore.

Aaaaany way, it seems you are a person that has priorities RIGHT! (Get yourself a killer kitchen / do not anger the Boss.)

really would love to know the tree those things are made out of--- its beautiful wood ! and im curious how quick the tree grows GOOGLE AWAY!!!!

Awesome Ndog! I love that handle on the pizza cutter. That thing belongs in the Pizza Hall of Fame. That is if there is a pizza hall of fame :D

It's either you're in love with cooking, either your Better Half makes you do the cooking. I know, whatever the situation, you'll say I got it right the 1st time, so I won't mention it anymore.

Aaaaany way, it seems you are a person that has priorities RIGHT! (Get yourself a killer kitchen / do not anger the Boss.)

Well when we met i cooked so I didnt have to eat her cookin:rolleyes: I swear I didnt say that! She has really gotten pretty dang good through the years since she dont have to cook for the kids anymore. We both enjoy it now. My house will built around the kitchen and a fire pit.

Lemme know what you find Gehazi. Not a clue here.

Thx gb! Maybe we need to start a Gurkhua pizza hall of fame. What would you put on a Gurkha pizza? Ill have to ponder that one?

Anything you want, if it looks unedible we'll call it special and good for the vigor and let Steve eat it, he'll eat anything.

Smart answer, we got lots of Steves around here.

Love
Steve

Wow, nice! I assume its shiny like that due to the oil? What does it look like dry?

I soaked mine in oil for a week, didn't seem to help with the cracks much

I rubbed it down pretty heavily in that block oil they sent with it. It was kind of matte or villager finish you might say. but you could still see the grain through just fine. I believe the dry spots will disappear with time as the oil soaks in. Its actually pretty smooth finished. I say like 400 grit or so. The surface is perfectly even and edges are really done nicely done and perfectly round. I guess they were made to go in those counter-top holes? I may design my counter top around on of these except put a compost bucket underneath so when im done chopping veggies etc. I can just swipe the carnage off in to the bucket through the hole. There are a few cracks near the middle so Ill watch them and see what happens to them. They are not big enough to be a problem tho.

Mine has those cracks in the middle too. I poured some melted beeswax in them, which sealed them up for a bit, but the beeswax eventually dries up and shrinks. As you say they aren't big enough to be a problem so I think I just have to live with 'em.

I thought about covering the whole surface with wax but that would defeat the purpose of the end grain. If you clog the pores with wax it can't absorb and kill the bacteria. Beeswax is antibacterial though...

I thought about covering the whole surface with wax but that would defeat the purpose of the end grain. If you clog the pores with wax it can't absorb and kill the bacteria. Beeswax is antibacterial though...

Yes it is antibacterial, I wonder if it would be as effective than if you didn't treat it. Bees wax is some amazing stuff. I use it on my work boots to keep them water tight.

While were talking bees wax. Something interesting I found out. Some of the bees honeycomb does not melt and some of it does? Surprised me! I thought it was all the same? Guess I gotta do more bee searchin?

Back