perfect chopping board HI kitchen knives

Not sure, the mark is a bull's head.

Edit: Looks like it's Purna. This guy knows his stuff!

Man, look at the horn hilt...

You got yourself a really nice Purna piece. I know his gracefully melting lines crossed with an almost liquid type polish. He also finishes his handle very smoothly and seamlessly. The handle on my Dui chirrwa is mirror polished even on the tang

It is nice to see happy people. Karma at work, Blue. Take care of that khuk.

I sure will! Actually, what am I going to use this one for? I got a rajkumar bhojpur by my bed for bump in the night stuff and a klvuk for yard work...

Boys and Girls if you focus your attention back to Auntie's post # 69 whereby she received the nice cutting board. At the very end in small print she offered to send the knife she used for the cutting board photo's as a gift to whoever responded first.
I saw this right off but figured I was misreading it or it might be the knife she was sending for the board.

I let it ride for a few days but then just had to email and ask. My with my usual HI luck she said nobody else asked about it and since I was first she'd send it to me if I wanted it. Are you kidding.

I cried when kamidog and I think maybe Cul walked away with one of these western style knives.

Well it just hit my desk and let me tell ya IT IS SWEET!. I figured the handle would be kind of small but the pictures threw off my dimension comprehension. Plenty of handle, it's perfect.

And the sheath, I didn't even know it had a sheath fits better than any sheath I've gotten before. The knife actually snaps in and snaps out. I can tuck it in my waist band and the curve of the beautiful stag handle contours to my beer gu....six pack abs perfectly. It's amazing. I LOVE this knife.

Thank you Auntie very much. As I said I'm gonna send some money, your too kind to ole bawanna. But let the record show bawanna loves it.

Photobucket is being uncooperative so I try attaching photo's direct, not sure this is gonna work or not, fingers crossed.

By the by, Yuvraj built this knife and my hats off to him too. He did a superb job. My bowie is sweating big time here thinking it's met it's replacement and it's right to sweat, I'd be nervous too. I am nervous, trying to figure out how to carry 3. This, the bowie and the little Bura hunter all at once. I can do it. Just can't fly.

Attachments

• Western #2.jpg
    Western #2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Western #1.jpg
    Western #1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 26
... I let it ride for a few days but then just had to email and ask. My with my usual HI luck she said nobody else asked about it and since I was first she'd send it to me if I wanted it. ...

Karma strikes again! Glad that you were the one who got it. Somehow I didn't catch that offer. I think that we all might be reading Auntie's posts a little more carefully from now on. :D

Himalayan Imports is a company that gives in many ways.

Karma strikes again! Glad that you were the one who got it. Somehow I didn't catch that offer. I think that we all might be reading Auntie's posts a little more carefully from now on. :D

I saw it, but I already had one, and I wanted someone else to get it. Glad it was you Bawanna!

I caught it but it didnt make sense to me? I thought it was a second one going to blue? Bawanna and I even talked about it but im glad he asked. I already have one so that worked out perfect. That is one in the style of the Kumar Karda btw. Now you have a KK Mr B.:thumbup:

Don't tell the wife that, I told here we still need a KK. Loose lips sink bawanna's ya know?

I love this knife and sheath, snaps in and out like kydex. Wish the handle was just a tad straighter but it's close to perfect for my hands. And you know stag just melts me into a pile of drool like the wicked witch of the east taking the ice bucket challenge.

Also proof positive that I can hold a knife and type at the same time. Multi tasking at it's finest.

Well fitting that it went where it did. Especially since it seems it was made to fit your 6pack abs ;)

Looks like a personal knife that anyone would be VERY pleased to count among their collection. Even such a collection as yours Bawanna.

Ok, maybe 6 pack abs was a stretch, perhaps keg would be a better descriptor.

Darn nice knife though. I'm still all a quiver just looking at it. Maybe no quiver like shaking a bowl of jello but well ya know.

Did anyone else need help getting a board? Seems pretty common in the Asian grocery stores Ive looked at.

Do they look like ironwood? I'd like to get another cutting board if it was a different kind of wood.

Water or no water? Conflicting reports as to how to care for them. Found this info on the ironwood blocks:
http://forums.egullet.org/topic/114380-traditional-chinese-cuttingchopping-board/
Reason I ask?
One month later. Ive been oiling the heck out of it and im seeing some cracks.
From the website "Storage Hint: store chopping blocks upright (not on flat sides) so they do not retain moisture"
Thats what ive been doing?

f08545d4837dce8cda2383c83a0b7686

I havent used water on it but im tempted now to see what happens. Cant hurt?
d50e3e6ec4502fc1a981d7505c454590

Maybe ill put a band around the outside to help keep it together? Somehow I doubt it but it might help?
669e6754d7f7778fa728c7a7630bba8e

This one is pretty serious. The others I can deal with. Any ideas guys? Im still researching.

Last edited:
The others I can deal with. Any ideas guys? Im still researching.

Buddy, we usually just throw them away at that point. Looks like it has age to it, but wasn't used much. Looks like it dried and cracked.

I just bought it! I havent even used it yet because I wanted to get it saturated with oil first.

It does say soaking them will magically make cracks go away? Guess ill try that. Guess I could make a clock out of it:D

Last edited:
I just bought it! I havent even used it yet because I wanted to get it saturated with oil first. Guess I could make a clock out of it:D

I used the wrong term, sorry; I believe you guys say, "seasoned", instead of "aged". I meant that it looks like its been around for awhile. You could try oil, but I think its too late.

Personally, I would return it.

Those cracks look pretty deep, chopping blocks do get cracks, but sometimes around the edges, I haven't seen them come so far toward the center from the edge before.

Ill send them a pic or two and see what they say. Just thought it might be a good idea for you guys that bought one to make sure you dont do what I did whatever that might be;)

I just received one of the 13" "ironwood" chopping blocks that I ordered from the wokshop, and the shop emailed me these instructions:

********************************************************************************************
Chinese Ironwood Chopping Block (common names: lignum vitae, guajacum, guaiac)

Please observe the very important seasoning instructions for the ironwood block from China. (lignum vitae tree) This wood is one of the hardest; has several fats and resins that makes it self lubricating and almost impervious to water. (used in shipbuilding) Upon receipt and when you remove the wrapping, immediately soak totally immersed in hot water. Leave in water for a couple of days (if you think of it, drain cold water and soak again in hot water.) When removed from its soaking, let drip dry on its side. While board is still damp, add oil generously and that should prevent it from cracking, splitting , etc. By using the block, you will be keeping it damp (wiping it with a damp cloth and oiled when you cut up meats, chicken etc (naturally oiled.) Store on its side and hook will act as stopper and prevent block from rolling or hang it(comes with hook)
*********************************************************************************************

But this "chinese ironwood" is obviously not lignum vitae (guiaicum), since that genus only grows in the caribbean, Mexico, and South America (and is banned from export/trade by CITES II). Further research has led me to believe that these "chinese ironwood" blocks are made from one of the species of hornbeam (genus carpinus), which is also an extremely heavy and dense wood, and has well over 20 different species that grow in China and southeast asia. Whatever it is, the block I received is a very dense wood, and I just started it soaking in hot water as instructed - it is dense enough that it immediately sinks in water. When I get done soaking it, I'll post a pic, but this one does not include the center of the tree trunk, so the grain is more crosswise, instead of circular around the center, and is probably less likely to split. This was advertised as being 1 1/2" thick, but the one I received is 1 5/8" thick, and has really beautiful grain, with about 2/3 of the surface being a darker wood and 1/3 being a lighter wood. It does not have a reddish color and looks nothing like ndogs - it's a darker and lighter brown color.

Back