Politics and sig blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can one post "politics" outside the politics forum by putting political content in ones sig block?

Is that permitted?

My personal feeling is that it shouldn't matter, if it is done is an intelligent and nonprovoking way. I've seen some siglines that border on provoking and that isn't exactly something that aids in the discussion of the community at large.

My personal feeling is that it shouldn't matter, if it is done is an intelligent and nonprovoking way. I've seen some siglines that border on provoking and that isn't exactly something that aids in the discussion of the community at large.

Like, let's say, in theory, stating that a certain noted political figure is a corrupt liar who is destroying the country?

I'd rather not have anything from political, spill over to the rest of the forums. It should be contained where it belongs ie. the political subforums. Just my personal opinion.

I'd rather not have anything from political, spill over to the rest of the forums. It should be contained where it belongs ie. the political subforums. Just my personal opinion.

Same here. But more generally, I was just wondering if a statement that would clearly be unacceptable in, say, General, is "protected" if it is placed in a sig block.

I personally, don't want to hear about a person's sex life or politics unless I happen to wander into the appropriate forum.

Signatures are there for all the world to see regardless of which form in which one posts.

I would personally not put political, sexual or hateful messages in my signature and I would hope my friends here would do the same.

Ask yourself this: Do you like it when your friends bombard you on facebook and in emails regarding their political views?

I don't. I see your signature to be similar.

best

mqqn

Use of signature blocks is spelled out in the FAQ. There is also the option of changing your user settings to disable viewing of signatures.

Like, let's say, in theory, stating that a certain noted political figure is a corrupt liar who is destroying the country?

I started to tell him that may be why the seller wouldn't sell to him :p
I sure wouldn't buy/sell to anyone that had a political sig line. Wouldn't matter if I agreed with it or not. I just hate seeing politics out of the appropriate forum.

I personally, don't want to hear about a person's sex life or politics unless I happen to wander into the appropriate forum.

Signatures are there for all the world to see regardless of which form in which one posts.

I would personally not put political, sexual or hateful messages in my signature and I would hope my friends here would do the same.

Ask yourself this: Do you like it when your friends bombard you on facebook and in emails regarding their political views?

I don't. I see your signature to be similar.

best

mqqn

I'm with you two.
I wish they would have to keep politics in the appropriate forum.
But I don't want to block all signatures just to avoid those few though.

But I don't want to block all signatures just to avoid those few though.

By that "blocking" reasoning, might one argue, then, if one wanted to post politics or family-unfriendly content or insults outside where they are currently allowed, then one should be allowed to, and if people didn't want to see it, they could just block one's posts?

:confused:

Insulting comments in a signature block is covered in the FAQ. You also have the option of putting someone on your ignore list if you don't like their signature.

EDIT: I wanted to add this has been discussed in the moderator forum and it doesn't happen enough to get worked up about or justify a rules change IMHO. It's also very subjective as everyone has different tolerance thresholds for the wide variety of delicate subjects. If you think someone's signature violates the rules or is just simply over the line, report it and we'll take a look. We've been handling these on a case-by-case basis.

Last edited:
I have never seen it to be a problem here at BF, I was just responging to the question asked.

The mods here are a tight bunch.

best

mqqn

EDIT: If you think someone's signature violates the rules or is just simply over the line, report it and we'll take a look. We've been handling these on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks Jason !
I know of one thats over the line. I'll report it now.

Zombie-ing my own thread!

Can a discussion topic deemed, by the mods, as likely "Political Arena"-only be discussed in a sig block that appears where ever one posts? It seems like way for someone to plaster their political views all over the forum.

I have reported the block, but no action was taken. Which, I assume means the content was deemed non-Politcal.

But. at the same time, a thread discussing the same content was deemed Political (or at least political enough to warrant mod interaction).

Thanks in advance for any clarification.... again! :)

Here are my siggies, the ones that so upset marcinek.

The first one is mine, and it is factually correct. I checked the FAQ, and apart from the umbrella clause (which basically will cause a signature to mean whatever a mod says it means), it passes.
The second one is Mark Steyn's, a well known author and columnist. It expresses his opinion, with which of course I agree. If 'quiescent' is now a racist term, then I guess I've fallen foul of the rules.
But I don't think it is. It's been one of my signatures for a long time now, many mods have seen it, none have seen fit to comment on it. Marcinek felt slighted by my dismissal of his platitudes and now wants to get at me some other way.

If the mods tell me to change them, I will. Or maybe we need a trigger warning system for signatures... :rolleyes:

Hey, I think saying moderate Muslims are merely inactive extremists is painting an entire religion/culture with the same brush, I.e., racist.

My real question, however, is if we allowed to make political commentary in a sig block outside of PA.

im sure all thats a straw man somehow....

Hey, I think saying moderate Muslims are merely inactive extremists is painting an entire religion/culture with the same brush, I.e., racist.
That is a strawman. As in I NEVER SAID THIS AND THE QUOTE DOESN'T SAY THIS.
So, sorry to have to point this out to you, but apparently you just don't know what a strawman is. In case there's any doubt left, you just posted an excellent example of one.

im sure all thats a straw man somehow....
Good. You're beginning to get it. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back