Politics and sig blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I come here to discuss knives, not politics. Phil can justify the quote in his sig line any way he wants, but it is both political and inflammatory, and has NOTHING to do with knives. If he wants to use that in posts in the political sub forum, I'm cool with that. However, I think that sig line has no business in the rest of the forum.

This is just my opinion. I will obviously live with whatever the mods decide.

I come here to discuss knives, not politics. Phil can justify the quote in his sig line any way he wants, but it is both political and inflammatory, and has NOTHING to do with knives. If he wants to use that in posts in the political sub forum, I'm cool with that. However, I think that sig line has no business in the rest of the forum.

This is just my opinion. I will obviously live with whatever the mods decide.
Thank you for your opinion. Well argued, concise, and contains zero strawmen. Obviously I don't agree with the inflammatory part, but we can agree to disagree on that. And like ncrockclimb, I will live with whatever the mods decide.

That is a strawman. As in I NEVER SAID THIS AND THE QUOTE DOESN'T SAY THIS.
So, sorry to have to point this out to you, but apparently you just don't know what a strawman is.:

Then maybe you can tell us what you mean by "quiescent muslim," remembering that is not PA (seems you need to be reminded) and that bigotry is unacceptable by the rules we all agreed to abide by.

"quiescent" quiet; inactive, dormant, passive; not active

Yes. So a moderate muslm is merely dormant. And an active Muslim is not moderate, I.e., is an extremist.

Maybe it's time to throw out some other "An X is just a quiescent Y." Anybody got any religions/ethnic groups/nationalities for X?

If those kinda claims are considered political as opposed to bigotry, then fine. But then keep them where we are supposed to keep them.

Strawman defense in 5...4...3...2...

As a member, i don't care what other members hold as their politics. What I believe in that regard might not be what others believe and I accept that. You just do not discuss religion, politics, or sex in front of polite company, a rule my grandfather taught me long ago and still holds true today (for me). I don't want to see politics spilling over into non knife related sections anymore than I want to see pictures of backpacks and computers in the Automatics section of General Knife.

Some political signatures are fine and harmless (again in my opinion as a member) , for example quotes from Winston Churchill "when going through hell, keep going", etc. The man as a political figure and that phrase can be applied to daily life to any one of us. When the crap hits the fan, keep going as it were. Very specific signatures can be taken as a means to provoke or incite, which we absolutely do NOT want at all. As you may have seen, it is being dealt with much more swiftly now than before. We want to keep this place fun, not have it be a haven for trolls, douchebags, scammers, and ne'er do wells.

The reason Sparkles created the PA was to keep that crap confined in there and keep it from spilling into the rest of the forums. Much like the content in Whine & Cheese. This being primarily a Knife/Cutlery Discussion forum, we owe it to Spark to try and not twist the meaning or create our own distorted meanings of what unwritten common sense rules should be. Racism is forbidden, as is forms of prejudice against specific groups, because it detracts from why we are all here. Some of the threads in the PA would be better received on a CNN/Fox forum. It also amazes me what some people deem as undeniable truths and lies.

I have commented at some length in both the PA and Current Events as to whether Philwar's signature lines are technically correct or racist. The one about Muhamed being the first islamist is correct and not racist, ( and rather good) but the one about Muslims being quiescent is really not correct and much closer to the line, and possibly over it. That's my opinion only, of course. I have not commented on whether they are inappropriate for being shown everywhere rather than just inside PA. As long as the verdict is based on whether it is inappropriate and inflammatory rather than whether Phill is a racist ( which he isn't) and the comments totally false ( which they aren't) I could understand a decision that they not be shown outside the PA. If I were Muslim I probably wouldn't be very happy seeing that second one. Fortunately, it's not my call.

Then maybe you can tell us what you mean by "quiescent muslim," remembering that is not PA (seems you need to be reminded)
This is what people who like to use strawmen a lot do when called upon their fallacies: they try and make you explain what it is you meant, if apparently it isn't what they claimed it meant.
If you can't figure it out, that's your problem. It's hilarious though that you now admit you don't know what it means but accuse me of bigotry and racism.

and that bigotry is unacceptable by the rules we all agreed to abide by.
Child abuse is also unacceptable by the rules we all agreed by.

See, there's another debating 'tactic' you used to paint me in a certain light, inferring bigotry where none is present, apparent or inferred. A deviant form of a strawman perhaps?

You should try asking questions first, perhaps, before running your mouth. At least try and debate without all the angry charges, the laden accusations. They get old real fast, and they just make you look silly.

Yes. So a moderate muslm is merely dormant. And an active Muslim is not moderate, I.e., is an extremist.
Your words. Yours alone.

Maybe it's time to throw out some other "An X is just a quiescent Y." Anybody got any religions/ethnic groups/nationalities for X?
If you think there's a point, have at it. I will not complain to daddy/teacher/mod/the cops.

Strawman defense in 5...4...3...2...
None detected. Post one and I will point it out to you, free of charge.

Racism is forbidden, as is forms of prejudice against specific groups, because it detracts from why we are all here.
Makes sense to me. I don't think it applies to my sigs though, and I will not change them unless you or another mod tells me to. I will accept such a judgment, but not the misplaced sensitivities of a random member.

This is what people who like to use strawmen a lot do when called upon their fallacies: they try and make you explain what it is you meant, if apparently it isn't what they claimed it meant.
If you can't figure it out, that's your problem.

Its clear what you meant by your quote.The fact that you cannot defend it without going political or bigoted makes its meaning even clearer.

I'm can only assume, that the W&C crowd must be bored (now that they've succeeded in getting a certain Mod stripped of his Moderating duties).

Are these type of trivial thread's really necessary, on BLADEFORUMS??? I'm mean really- this place is becoming so pathetic, with you drama seeking (look at me), children, instigating your BS all over a "KNIFE" forum.

And let me be clear about something: I'm as Patriotic an American, that you will find...

It boggles my mind, that so many people come on this "KNIFE" forum & control/pollute the different sub-forums, with childish stupidity. You guys try to act all bravado behind your keyboards- yet everyone knows the truth: you are not real men.

I would be willing to bet, that some of the trolls here, families, must be very happy, & thanking God, that dad is spending 8 hours a day on this forum (stirring up shit), instead of making life at home so just as miserable...

Get a freaking life- you guys are pathetic!

FWIW: most of the moderator's have full time jobs...their time is valuable. Try showing some respect to them, BEFORE you think about starting a stupid thread like this.

Precisely my point, KELAMA. Members should keep their politics in PA and their bigotry off the site entirely.

Well put!

Personally, I find marcineks rampant and unchecked trolling far more objectionable and offensive than philwars sig line. JMO.

The thread is about politics and signature lines, not marcinek or anyone else.

It's a fair point that some Muslim members might be offended. It's also a fair point that it's not the most offensive thing around here.
I don't know why it's becoming so contentious. We've got a complaining thread and a thread complaining about complaining in the complaining thread.
Geez, relax a little.

Its clear what you meant by your quote.The fact that you cannot defend it without going political or bigoted makes its meaning even clearer.
Apparently it wasn't - and still isn't - clear to you. And there's nothing to defend, only to the perpetually offended. :rolleyes:

I'm relatively new here but I see nothing wrong with philwar's sig. In my humble opinion, he's not advocating hatred toward any group set nor is he trying to instill fear. I see it as a simple statement of opinion that he seems to agree with and wishes to share.
Interestingly enough, I never even gave it consideration until it became a point of contention and discussion in this and another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back