Sanrenmu 7010 vs CRKT Drifter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SRM 710/7010 is a very good knife. Copies are fair game, unless CRK actually did the work to own the design. AFAIK, this was never done. Even if it was, the legalities of US based intellectual property may not even apply to gray market items sourced from a different country. All this talk of "clones=bad" is just the same old butthurt knife nuts love to get steamed over. CRK isn't even being hurt by SRM. And if he were, he deserves to be, because that's what capitalism as all about. And it would light a fire under his butt to get even better, or get out of the game.

I don't know if SRM has made knives for CRKT, or currently does, but they did make a close copy of a CRKT model in the past. I was curious to see if the CRKT was simply a rebranded SRM, and purchased the CRKT and the SRM to compare. In this particular case, they were not the same. In every way, the SRM was a better knife. Better fit and finish, better steel, and significantly cheaper. It was pretty clear. If I were CRKT, I wouldn't have been angry at SRM for selling a copy. I would have been embarrassed that they did so much better, and the original was so bad in comparison.

And the same old justification of copies continues. The forum doesn't agree......

Care to give actual context to your crkt vs srm story (model names)?

The Drifter was a Sanrenmu model that was just renamed for CRKT. The Sanrenmu model was the 707. I purchased one several years ago to compare to the Drifter.
191e129399ab43c7e3d4937cf2832713.jpg

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

And the same old justification of copies continues. The forum doesn't agree......

Of course, the forum also is hilariously hypocritical at times; folks throwing rocks at Chinese copies while they get into the glass house filled with Microtech, Brous, etc. knives.

I think the best argument for the SRM 710/7010 not mattering is that nobody is buying a Sebenza just because it can cut stuff. You buy a Sebenza because it's got super perfect tolerances, it gives you a magical experience and pride of ownership, or because you want some knife snobs on the Internet to know you're for real. If you just want to cut stuff the 710 cuts stuff just as well as a small Sebenza, sure, but cutting stuff better than other knives is not why people buy Sebenzas (because they don't cut stuff better than other, cheaper knives). I have a hard time believing $10 SRM clones have cost CRK a penny. Now outright counterfeits, those are a different animal, obviously.

"It will cut stuff too" is a vast over simplification.

Really? I have both and IMO the 710 cuts as well as my small Sebenza. The hollow grind on my 710 may actually be a little thinner behind the edge, but it would need sharpening a little more often so I'll call that a wash.

Of course, the forum also is hilariously hypocritical at times; folks throwing rocks at Chinese copies while they get into the glass house filled with Microtech, Brous, etc. knives.

I think the best argument for the SRM 710/7010 not mattering is that nobody is buying a Sebenza just because it can cut stuff. You buy a Sebenza because it's got super perfect tolerances, it gives you a magical experience and pride of ownership, or because you want some knife snobs on the Internet to know you're for real. If you just want to cut stuff the 710 cuts stuff just as well as a small Sebenza, sure, but cutting stuff better than other knives is not why people buy Sebenzas (because they don't cut stuff better than other, cheaper knives). I have a hard time believing $10 SRM clones have cost CRK a penny. Now outright counterfeits, those are a different animal, obviously.

And when I said the forum disagrees I was speaking of what is in the rules here.

Really? I have both and IMO the 710 cuts as well as my small Sebenza. The hollow grind on my 710 may actually be a little thinner behind the edge, but it would need sharpening a little more often so I'll call that a wash.

I'll take the S35vn over that 8cr all day, unless you like sharpening every ten minutes. Don't tell me it cuts the same.

All metal frame locks are not particularly uncommon. At what point do you say one is "too similar" to another. You can get a little carried away with the "does this knife kinda look like another" thing.

Last edited:
And when I said the forum disagrees I was speaking of what is in the rules here.

Yes, and I was pointing out the obvious hypocrisy of that stance.

I'll take the S35vn over that 8cr all day, unless you like sharpening every ten minutes. Don't tell me it cuts the same.

It does cut the same, and I did already tell you that, above--did you miss that?

Nothing like spitting in the face of what this place stands for, eh? ;)

The SRM 710 is not a counterfeit, it's a most a design copy. How is that any different than the Microtech Matrix?

So you like sharpening every ten minutes and consider that "the same". Good to know :thumbup:

Every ten minutes is a wild exaggeration and you know it. Nice straw man, though. Did you miss the part where I mentioned way back when that the Sebenza had slightly better edge retention and the 710 had a slightly thinner blade at the edge, making it cut better and that I considered that a wash?

Why does this $7 knife cause you so much of an emotional reaction? Do you really think someone that was actually going to buy a status symbol, er, Sebenza, decided not to when they discovered this cheap Chinese knife that looks similar?

The SRM 710 is not a counterfeit, it's a most a design copy. How is that any different than the Microtech Matrix?

I never said it was. Or did I miss that part too...

Every ten minutes is a wild exaggeration and you know it. Nice straw man, though.

I'm not sure what you do with your knives and nor do I care but in my experience some poorly done 8cr or AUS8 can dull in minutes and chip out badly when doing actual work. So no. I am not exaggerating.

Did you miss the part where I mentioned way back when that the Sebenza had slightly better edge retention and the 710 had a slightly thinner blade at the edge, making it cut better and that I considered that a wash?

You sure like to claim that I miss a lot.

Why does this $7 knife cause you so much of an emotional reaction?

It's not. The people justifying it like its some savior of the knife world is another thing though.

Do you really think someone that was actually going to buy a status symbol, er, Sebenza, decided not to when they discovered this cheap Chinese knife that looks similar?

I don't know why you bought a sebenza for status but that is not what I did. I bought it for a knife to be used :)

Just so we are all clear here:

Fakes/Homages-
As fakes and homage items are a legal gray area and obviously hurt the hobby, no fake or homage items may be sold on the Exchange. Members may not knowingly sell unlicensed knockoffs or counterfeit versions of knives (or any other goods) based upon the designs of their legitimate owner, manufacturer or custom maker. Additionally, members may not sell any knife or item known or suspected to be other than as described in terms of its lineage and authenticity.

If you disagree that this sort of thing hurts the hobby you are wrong :thumbup:

I don't know why you bought a sebenza for status but that is not what I did. I bought it for a knife to be used :)

I bought my last one so whenever some Internet knife snob claimed they were magically wonderful I could pick it up, feel that "meh" feeling it always gives me, and know for certain that their popularity is largely driven by pride of ownership.

Fakes/Homages-
As fakes and homage items are a legal gray area and obviously hurt the hobby, no fake or homage items may be sold on the Exchange. Members may not knowingly sell unlicensed knockoffs or counterfeit versions of knives (or any other goods) based upon the designs of their legitimate owner, manufacturer or custom maker. Additionally, members may not sell any knife or item known or suspected to be other than as described in terms of its lineage and authenticity.

I think we'll have to just agree to disagree. I don't believe the SRM 710, which is clearly not a counterfeit, ever cost CRK a penny in lost sales. You clearly believe otherwise, though I can't imagine why.

I bought my last one so whenever some Internet knife snob claimed they were magically wonderful I could pick it up, feel that "meh" feeling it always gives me, and know for certain that their popularity is largely driven by pride of ownership.

That seems like a particularly silly thing to do but it's your money I guess....

I think we'll have to just agree to disagree. I don't believe the SRM 710, which is clearly not a counterfeit, ever cost CRK a penny in lost sales. You clearly believe otherwise, though I can't imagine why.

The reason you can't imagine why is because I never said that. You like to infer what other people believe or say rather than read what they write. That is a poor formula for discourse. I wish you luck!

guys, dont support these homage/copies, replica's etc.

no one here is arguing that Microtech etc are okay. in fact ive said time and time again that Microtech are copies of other knives and i dont like that they do it. using that as an argument here is dumb.

its wrong to mimic a product so you dont have to do the R&D, advertising etc. you are just taking someone elses idea for your own profits. its what they do in china, its not right, even if it is legal in china.

if you have a problem with it, go support your knock off's somewhere else. here the mods and the majority of the posters dont agree with these clones. goto reddit where its acceptable and leave it alone or keep arguing and get the thread locked.

Fakes/Homages-

OK, so you have quoted the rules once again. No where in those rules are there any limitations on discussing or recommending fake, homage or counterfeit knives. Just selling is forbidden. Yet, it seems like we are not allowed to talk about these knives without our morals being attacked and someone stating their opinion as fact.

Tell me, when is that going to change? When will members be allowed to freely discuss any type of knife here on Blade Forums without their character being questioned?

OK, so you have quoted the rules once again. No where in those rules are there any limitations on discussing or recommending fake, homage or counterfeit knives. Just selling is forbidden. Yet, it seems like we are not allowed to talk about these knives without our morals being attacked and someone stating their opinion as fact.

Tell me, when is that going to change? When will members be allowed to freely discuss any type of knife here on Blade Forums without their character being questioned?

People can discuss what they want, obviously. With that train of thought, the negative aspects of such knives can also be discussed. Further, it is the opinion of this privately owned forum that these knives hurt this hobby. It says so in the rules. So, that is part of the discussion. And yes, a person knowingly hurting this hobby (as stated in the rules) will have their character questioned. If that is a problem for some folks there are plenty of places where this stuff is tolerated and even promoted.

Hopefully never. If they are promoting thieves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back