Sanrenmu 7010 vs CRKT Drifter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SRM 710 and Microtech Matrix and Jason Brous's Division are all the same, as far as producing a clone of someone else's design goes.

Which of them are we allowed to talk about here?

Which of them are we allowed to sell here?

The SRM 710 and Microtech Matrix and Jason Brous's Division are all the same, as far as producing a clone of someone else's design goes.

if I had it my way, none.

This is not a troll. This is a serious question.

What about the Sanrenmu 7010 makes it a clone, ripoff, whatever, to those who are against its existence? If you are willing, please be specific and/or provide pictures to prove your assertions. I would really like to know.

Dude. Ask a mod if you actually care. Otherwise listen to what most everyone is saying. Talk about what you want but so will everyone else. Ignore as desired.

Hopefully never. If they are promoting thieves.

Indeed. I always wonder how people passionate enough about knives to come on the internet and talk about them can be so casually dismissive about knife designs being ripped off.

It seems incongruous.

What about the Sanrenmu 7010 makes it a clone, ripoff, whatever, to those who are against its existence? If you are willing, please be specific and/or provide pictures to prove your assertions. I would really like to know.

I have been following this thread hoping that this would get answered. Has the Sanrenmu been advertised as a Sebenza clone? Is there anything to this other than the similar design? Is any rectangular framelock considered a Sebenza ripoff in certain circles?

a majority of people for a long long time have been calling it "The Poor Man's Sebenza" its not an exact clone like others do. it still is replicated in the style of the sebenza for profit. it does sell alot because people want a sebenza and think its the same thing. since CRK dont make an affordable version, is that okay for someone to steal the design on make an affordable version instead? NO

here's Nicks take on it, tl;dr dont buy because its a rip off design. stealing is not cool.

https://youtu.be/BNIuvKwTE5c?t=4m3s

Last edited:
Denying the design is copied by a company that made it's name in counterfeiting is ignorant. But go ahead, legitimize this sort of thing any way that makes you feel comfortable.

DSC_7490.jpg

I like the Sanrenmu 7010. I'm not much of a modern knife guy but I've bought a number of them for gifts. With import tariffs etc. being discussed lately, I bought a batch of them just in case. Three of my co-workers now carry one.

One of them has always carried a flashlight and knife. He had a Wal-knife which frankly resembled a Sebenza as much as the Sanrenmu does. Quality on it was obviously lesser than the Sanrenmu and the steel was also sub par. I gifted him the 7010 and he likes it a lot more and carries it every day. I've scolded him for doing some rough use that even I would not do like tightening screws. And I'm also teaching him to sharpen and strop when he brings it back to me for maintenance.

Another is a friend who works right next to me. He admired the knife I gave the first guy and I gave him one. He is always using it to eat, trim nails, daily work/edc use. He tells me he always carries it now and doesn't know how he got by without a pocket knife.

Third guy I gave one to is a Programmer/ Lead Man. He already carried as well. I saw he had the 7010 clipped to his pocket the other day and commented on it. He told me he carried it now since it was better than the one he had.

So, the Sanrenmu may be lesser quality than the knives many on the forum carry, but it is better than most of the Wally World knives many folks carry. And they can be used to educate them on (more) decent steel or the uses of knife carry.

Sorry, but I just don't think the thing is any closer in appearance to a Sebenza than quite a few products which have been made with some similarities to others for years. And with no reaction like this.

My call.

I don't think it's a clone, I think the point people are making is that ganzo does make clones and counterfeit knives as well as steal intellectual property. Supporting them buy purchasing ANY of their knives is what I believe people are disagreeing with. And I concur with their sentiment.

What say you about the Bradley Alias? That knife was most certainly made to copy the Sebenza at a lower price point.

There has also been the Benchmade 750 and the CRKT S2 that were made to try and grab a piece of the market from CRK. They were also called poor man's Sebenzas at the time if I recall.

Yup, search the forum for Bradley Alias. You will find tons of threads comparing the Alias to the Sebenza. You won't find anyone calling it a crime.

When did the forum decide copying the Sebenza became wrong?

Please don't get me wrong. I don't support theft of design and ideas. I am just pointing out other trespassers.

Do you think the Alias, CRKT S2, and Benchmade 750 LOOK like a Sebenza? As much as the Sanrenmu 7010? Really? Really?

You can argue the Alias, etc. were made as cheaper alternatives to the Sebenza, but they at least used their own designs.

The Sanrenmu is clearly trying to LOOK like the Sebenza.

If you don't understand this, you are either lying to yourself, trolling, or blind.

I will say that IF the 7010 was Sanrenmu only mark on their character, I could maybe understand arguing their innocence.

...but then they produce obvious stolen crap like this:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-can-someone-help-identify?highlight=Sanrenmu

I don't think it's a clone, I think the point people are making is that ganzo does make clones and counterfeit knives as well as steal intellectual property. Supporting them buy purchasing ANY of their knives is what I believe people are disagreeing with. And I concur with their sentiment.
Sanrenmu makes the knife, not Ganzo.

Do you think the Alias, CRKT S2, and Benchmade 750 LOOK like a Sebenza? As much as the Sanrenmu 7010? Really? Really?

You can argue the Alias, etc. were made as cheaper alternatives to the Sebenza, but they at least used their own designs.

If you don't understand this, you are either lying to yourself, trolling, or blind.

I will say that IF the 7010 was Sanrenmu only mark on their character, I could maybe understand arguing their innocence.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-can-someone-help-identify?highlight=Sanrenmu

sebenza_vs_7010_v1.0.jpg

Max309.jpg

DSC_7490.jpg

The shape of the butt is identical on the SRM but the color, plating and all make the 750 look like the one which might fool me first glance.

But really, looking so hard for copying is what I mean.

Nobody here is defending the actions of Sanrenmu.

What we are doing is pointing out the double standards used by many of BF members when they choose to ignore the questionable actions of some companies but cry foul for the same basic actions of others. Even worse is the act of some members verbally attacking the morals and character of others for even considering the purchase or ownership of these knives. Are we not hurting the hobby ourselves with these verbal jabs?

I will be the first to admit these counterfeit knives hurt the knife industry but I question if they always hurt the hobby.

Nobody here is defending the actions of Sanrenmu.

What we are doing is pointing out the double standards used by many of BF members when they choose to ignore the questionable actions of some companies but cry foul for the same basic actions of others.

I'm saying using the Alias, CRKT S2, and Benchmade 750 as examples of this is ridiculous.

If you can find me an actual example of a member being hypocritical about actual stolen designs, I will cry foul along side you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back