Sharpening a 3" Slicer - Let's talk about angles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the phrase, "You can take the metal off but you can't put it back on". On a Hinderer, that makes a big difference. On a cheaper knife I wouldn't care so much but Hinderer metal is a precious commodity to me.

That is an incredibly insightful quote :)

I said it and will repeat, the "need" for acute sharpening angles on a Hinderer (or any hard use tacticlal) while possible - are simply NOT appropriate.

So indeed this is a tactical knife/subforum. What things do you do with a Hinderer that are considered "hard use"? Do they require as much or more durability in the edge of the knife than a large chopping knife? I think it's a perfectly valid comparison if I can use an edge angle on 12 (Cold Steel Barong), 13 (Cold Steel Kukri Machete), and 16 inch (Cold Steel Panga Machete) blades that is lower than a folder with a 3 inch blade.

The OP has decided to lower his knife edge angle a little to 20 degrees/side. He may decide to go even lower, but that is up to him. I was just pointing out that for his uses, lower angles are plenty durable and will cut with less effort for longer.

So indeed this is a tactical knife/subforum. What things do you do with a Hinderer that are considered "hard use"? Do they require as much or more durability in the edge of the knife than a large chopping knife? I think it's a perfectly valid comparison if I can use an edge angle on 12 (Cold Steel Barong), 13 (Cold Steel Kukri Machete), and 16 inch (Cold Steel Panga Machete) blades that is lower than a folder with a 3 inch blade.

The OP has decided to lower his knife edge angle a little to 20 degrees/side. He may decide to go even lower, but that is up to him. I was just pointing out that for his uses, lower angles are plenty durable and will cut with less effort for longer.

Cold Steel???? Really??? What is that?

When I was a youth I may have owned one. But not as an adult.

With all do respect, I have engaged in these debates ad infinitum to no avail, there are simply some subjects within
"Hobbies" that go nowhere ( Racing, knives, guns, self-defense, audio) so, I will leave my contribution (already more than I cared to expend) at "Do with your blades what you will, have fun, sharpen away - turn them into toothpicks and marvel at the new found functionality" and yes to the core first question 4 pages ago - that will Void the Warranty.

Cold Steel???? Really??? What is that?

When I was a youth I may have owned one. But not as an adult.

Well, if you don't need a machete as an adult, that's up to you. If you're implying that because Cold Steel's name is on it, that invalidates any arguement, I can see why these discussions don't go anywhere. CS does sharpened sheet metal (machete) as well as anyone, BUT you have to get past the "utility" edge they put on them.

I'm obviously new to this forum and don't own a Hinderer. I'm honestly trying to figure out what you can do with a 3" blade that is more demanding of edge angle than a 12" blade chopper/brush knife. Cutting? Scraping? Scraping is all lateral load on the edge, so the steeper the better I suppose. When processing game, are you cutting through bones? Would rebeveling the edge to something like 12 dps with a 15 dps Sharpmaker microbevel really void the warranty, or are you talking the 7/10 combo?

Here's the last I want to say on all this...

What can a 3" Hinderer do that a 12" chopper / machete cannot....fold up and fit into your pocket.

:rolleyes:I'd say that qualifies as hard use. It's damn near impossible to fold a 12" chopper in line with the blade like that.

i fail to see why there's a comparison with a 3" folder to a 12" fixed blade :confused: Maprik hit it on the head i think with hinderer blade steel being a commodity. For those of use who aren't first responders, they're not something we can readily get. Something like cold steel are a dime a dozen. And when looking at who Hinderer sells to, i don't think they'll be skinning anything on the job as well as spending the time trying to bring their edge on a sharpening system so fine. Bushcrafting/hunting purposes are slightly different i'd say.

For a working edge, i don't think i'd want to go under 40 inclusive, but for a kitchen knife, that might be interesting having something close to 30. That would take a lot of food prep time out of the way(probably a finger too:p

I'm just trying to figure out why the recommended angle on a 3" blade is considerably greater than what I know will work on large chopping blades. Experienced axe users recommend edge angles for full size felling axes that are characterized as radical for a 3" blade folding knife. Are the Hinderer knives used for cutting metal regularly? Are they used for scraping, batoning, or such? If so, thats fine, but the uses that started the thread did not include such things, so I suggested lower angles for increased cutting ability. I'm using a vvery low angle on one of my knives for similar tasks, but thats not for everyone or every knife.

I use a hammer to drive nails, a screwdriver on most screws, a socket on nuts, a saw to cut wood....right tool for the job. A Hinderer 3" bladed folding knife is not a 12" bladed camping tool. Very, very different!

Hopefully we can all agree that this has been beat to death by both 3" and 12'":)
Now maybe it can die before it starts to smell.
Everybody have fun with their blades using, sharpening whatever...
I just cut the cheese with mine :eek:

Oh what kind? I love cheese!!!! My favorite is fromager d' affinois! Pricey though... A 45 degree inclusive wedge costs about 12 bucks!

Yes they are quite different. Going with the right tool for the job theme, for what jobs is a 3" blade the proper tool? Why is the recommended edge angle for these jobs greater than is recommended for axes used for felling trees? Its like a ratchet thats 8 inches long with a 1 inch drive.

Ok, guess not. As for my contribution to the Sharpening question ( This isn't my X-Wife is it?) ALL I said was.....
Don't sharpen a Hinderer (or any high quality tactical folder) more than you need it in order to accomplish the tasks you need it to perform.
I then went on to say, "Once you take steel OFF, you Can Not put it back on".
I then Showed proof of what a 3"slicer can do with a minimally prepared 24* bevel (Cleanly sliced paper and shaved hair).
I fail to see what the issue is here other than Forum Masturbation (which is fine as long as it is seen as such)
Where is the issue? You admitted being "New" to the Forum and your entre' is one of arbitrary argument.
I think it is reasonable to discuss, debate and argue about things you actually have experience with.
If I am going to discuss racing Camaro's it will be with guys I have lined up with, Audio with guys who have had Levinson or Audio Research etc etc.
The subject here is sharpening Hinderers, the steel used and the possible impact on the warranty, it dissolved from there into what I don't even know. Talk of cold chisels and machetes and axes???
When this started I almost moved it to Maintenance,Tinkering and Embellishment (the home of sharpening debates) one reason I didn't is because I thought just maybe it could stay on-point about Hinderers and maybe benefit a user.

I think that there is valuable info here pertaining to Hinderers vs "lesser" knives when considering blade sharpening. As the OP I'm going to close this thread since I am satisfied with the replies that have helped me come to an understanding on what I want to do with MY knife in terms of sharpening. The debate on which angle is best is fruitless since its a matter of preference. I appreciate all who have contributed to this thread! I agree with Rubi that it has devolved into uselessness, to me at least, and we can talk about cheeses in another thread. Maybe "after dark"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back