What did you lot EDC today?

never had a Buck worth the money I paid, never had a TC that wasn't worth at least twice what I paid for it and Schrades if you get the older ones are awesome but some of the newer ones I have seen are getting sloppy.

Philllll that inside-out soup bone is some kind of be-a-u-tiful! Well heck each little part of your bladed collection you show just amazes me.

Snowsire, I carry a montblanc Homage a Mozart. I have the fountain pen but I only carry the rollerball. I find the ink from the fountain pen doesn't dry fast enough and I wind up smearing it as I write. But I finally got the nib wear perfect for my hand so I use it whenever I don't have to stack the papers and can spread them out till they dry. I love the feel of it now that the scratchy-ness from the new nib is worn properly. As for a self defense pen the one I have is a Stainless Steel Embassy Elite. It is very nice, but it writes like garbage. I have tried a few ink refills but haven't found anything I really like. Maybe I just need to keep trying to find refills that actually work well.

I used to have the same problem with fountain pen ink, smearing it because I'm left handed. After trying a few different inks and a few different kinds of paper, I found a combo that works for me. Tilting the paper a bit so I'm not dragging my hand through what I just wrote helps too.

I am right handed not left. I am just a mess when it comes to writing. I am old enough that as a kid we actually had copy books when I was learning to write and I always had smudges and ink blots all over mine. LOL inside AND out! I never did get to the point that other people can actually read what I write. Heck most of the time I can't read my OWN writing. I type everything I need to keep for future use, well keyboard and print it now I suppose is more correct.

Dang, I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on one of this Utica pocket knives. Maybe a Barlow pattern or something I don't already have. But it sounds like the quality of these things are highly variable. Some are well put together and some are sloppy pieces of junk, luck of the draw. Some only come with the main blade being 1095 Carbon Steel, and the secondary blades are 420 stainless which is basically kitchen knife steel.

I'd probably have to put down around $30 for one, which would get me a muuuuuuch much nicer used vintage American folder off of e-bay. I just like the idea of having a new American made pocket knife.

Decisions, decisions. I love window shopping but I gotta quit hanging out with you guys, you make me want too many things I can't have. Those Barlow are sweet.
And blue, I love your mask avatar, that's a very cool one. I look at it all the time. I'm not a stalker or nothing like that though, just like looking ya know.

Thanks! Now I just need to learn the dance that goes along with it [video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=OP-efSivJ88[/video]

My mask comes out at the 2:00 mark.

I'm sending you a couple Chinese folders from my surplus pile. Sounds like your pile of extra folders is bigger than mine, but at least you can sample them.

Good grief Blue. That Deer? mask at the end part sure is one scary critter. Never want to see that looking back through the trophy ridge come bow season.
Great dance.

I'd love to get this one

View attachment 449708

But the guy who brought me my last one said he'd never do it again. They're made of paper mache basically and it's very difficult to take one on a plane with you. There was one guy in the US who made them but he charged $600 or so per mask. I think he left anyways

Hmm The page for the Deer mask is in German, From what I can translate of the Deer mask it is definately something I would not want to run across bow hunting for it's relatives. Relates it as Shiva, an Earth Elder, Though I think after that it turns into a Chinese drugstore advertisement. Something about Powdered Deer horn being good for sexual potency I think. My German is getting rusty. Haven't used it in quite a few years. Then there is something about carrying a sword and dancing fast to ensure herds of people. Seriously not something I want to run into in the woods LOL.

The Korean stores around here sell powdered deer horn, or deer horn sliced up like pickles for a sandwich. But it's very expensive and I'm not quite sure what it's for.

I know the Indonesian demon masks (barong?) are spooky- whoever came up with them may not have seen a demon, but they saw SOMETHING-that I don't want to run into taking out the trash.

my favorite are the tengu of borneo-- these were the spirits that they carved into everything with the tentacle fingered hands and sharp teeth-- the spirits that demanded the heads and blood, dayak art is really great.-- its easy to see how all the myth and art in asia and se asia unfolded one into the other , including head taking being a big deal from japan to papua new guinea

I carried this one today. Recycled photo, but you get the idea :frog:

DSCF5473_zps01ed1dde.jpg~original

(Don't mean to derail the demon art discussion... carry on. :D)

While the train is getting put back on the track I looked around a bit at those TC traditionals. I had no idea they get so much loot for them. They do look incredibly well put together though and I suspect one will have to come live with me just cause. Some day.

Really like the Days Work and the Barlow you posted pics of earlier. Couldn't find neither one of those. No surprise there.

The barlows with the TC stamp on the bolster are a special order by a guy here on the forums. Hard to find but there are still a few out there for sale if you want me to send you a link.

The one with the caplifter was customized for me by a friend. It's got bronze bolsters and mammoth ivory handles.

Gehazi-know the ones you mean...the Barongs are the ones that really look like somebody saw a baaaaad thing to me though. Dayak art -especially the skull work-is fascinating
Philll the bronze and mammoth is a really nice combo.

Last edited:
My Utica Cutlery Barlow arrived - will take pics later. First impressions:

Pro:
-fit and finish is perfect. Scales, pins, bolster are all flush. "Barlow" stamp is straight. Back springs are flush, no daylight between them.
-walk and talk are good enough. Main blade has a half stop. Blade snaps into open position, but it's a little mushy. Blades open and close easily enough, but not too easy.
-no blade play whatsoever in any direction
-tried to etch both blades with 5 minute diet coke bath. Main blade discolored a little bit, barely any discoloration on secondary. Pretty sure main blade is carbon steel, not so sure about secondary.
-both blades are razor sharp.
-cost less than $30 shipped
-made in USA

Cons:
-it's not a full sized Barlow, more like a mini Barlow. Would have cost around $35 for the full sized one.
-not convinced both blades are 1095 carbon (other reviews say they sometimes use stainless secondaries)
-good deal for $30, but a Chinese made Rough Rider mini Barlow with equivalent or better fit/finish would have cost like $7.

Overall I'm very pleased to have a good carbon steel American made knife in my pocket that I'm not afraid to lose. I wish I had spent a little more and gotafull sized barlow or trapper or stockman.

I was kind of smitten by the mini Barlows myself. Something like 3 1/2" closed of so rather than the 4- 4 1/2" I see a lot.

Guess I'm partial to cute little things, like micro bowies and such.

Back