What did you lot EDC today?

I like the little ones too! Disappears in the pocket. Nice buy, blue. Glad to hear you found something you like.

Nice tight little knife for having in a pocket. But for $30 I am kinda on the fence. I have a lot of similar knives that do a good job and were, well to be honest. CHEAP. I sometimes look at the more expensive pocket knives I have in my dresser drawer and wonder why I never seem to carry them LOL. I am a true cheap knife tramp. I love my $7-$18 range knives. At any given moment I will have 3-4 knives in my purse and/or pockets yet I almost always pull out the inexpensive special to do the actual work. I wander into the custom makers forum here and look at the $800-$1K range custom folders and I love them. Truely I do. But I just can't see using one LOL. For self defense price IS no object as my life is worth buying the best, but all my expensive knives sit on the felt in their drawer and the cheapo's actually get carried. Not because I am afraid to scratch/damage the expensive ones. I just really prefer the feel of the other ones when I am doing forms. Anyone else prefer inexpensive (but well made) folder knives?

My EDC carry yesterday was this:

View attachment 453765

Yes, a bb-gun. Before everyone laughs (I know it's too late), here's why:

For the past couple of weeks a rat has been wandering around my house every other night or so. Three times I was watching TV after midnight, and there it was. The rat was too quick to catch or hit with a stick, and it can squeeze under doors. Also it didn't go for the traps and poison that I set out, and I don't have a cat or dog.

My concern wais that it might start chewing through wiring or food containers, or leave diseases in its droppings. What to do?

I decided to get a bb-gun and practice with it on the chance that I could blow away the little intruder without doing too much damage to my walls or furniture. At least I wouldn't feel completely helpless watching the rat scurry around and disappear behind the furniture or under closed doors. At least it had the decency to act as if it were afraid of me.

So the bb-gun arrived yesterday. However, in the early morning the rat finally was caught in one of my traps. So I'll either give the bb-gun to someone of a more appropriate age, or maybe save it for the next rat.

By the way, the bait that worked was not cheese but peanut butter. Apparently rats like peanut butter as much as I do.

Last edited:
Yeah, $30 is a bit much for a throw around knife. But, if I want to carry a "user" knife I'm not afraid to damage or lose, I guess better to spend $30 on an American made one instead of $10 on a Chinese one.

The only nice folder I have is a Fallkniven with a VG10 blade. Opening and closing it is like opening and closing the door on a luxury car. It just feels better. I never carry it because I'm afraid of losing it. It's dull as a butter knife now because I'm afraid to sharpen it on a stone and lose that perfectly convexed edge.

Your never too old for a BB gun. Practice with it and have nice quiet fun without disturbing the neighbors.
One thing I've learned in the varmint arena is a good ole #2 pencil fills a 38/357 hole in a wood door really nice. Just slather it up with Elmers or your favorite wood glue. Let it dry, bust off the extra. Sand a bit and color of your choice.
Had 3 such fills on the back door of my first house.

I'm with ya blue. I too was looking at some of the beautiful traditional knifes and thought I was gonna need a jump start at the prices. 30 bucks is a value knife. Anything more goes into the I'd be afraid to lose it category. Still want some but I'm at least for the moment doing well ignoring the urge.

In times of great desire I just fondle the micro bowie and I feel much better.

An HI Bilton on my belt, large Brown Mule folder-left pocket, SAK Farmer-left cargo pocket.
Lovin' the masks, thanks guys.

With the heat index ,here, it's melting us like it's 100F...
stay cool, folks.

:)
Mark

An HI Bilton on my belt, large Brown Mule folder-left pocket, SAK Farmer-left cargo pocket.
Lovin' the masks, thanks guys.

With the heat index ,here, it's melting us like it's 100F...
stay cool, folks.

:)
Mark

Seems like it was only weeks ago yall was neck deep on a giraffe in snow. Must be part of that 4 season deal. Here we actually only have 2 seasons. Raining and not raining. Actually there's a third season of frozen rain.

At least there's a lot of green and not too many tall buildings. Superman seldom visits.

Indeed, Bawanna! We basically went from the white stuff-to mud season-to monsoon season!-to sub-tropics...
...which I can tell you makes camping with the 16' x 12' canvass Baker style tent a real chore sometimes.

I love that little Barlow, Blu Lander, especially since it has nice Altoid-ability. I was just making a few Altoid Tins as birthday gifts and wedged in a SAK Farmer, VISA giftcard, small bic, some Tabasco packets and vaseline impregnated cotton wool. I like the idea of having a nice looking small folder in the tin, since I do a lot of 'knife staring' when in the deep woods, and having a little gem like that would make a good feeling.

G'day...stay cool...

Mark

"Knife staring". That's a new one on me but I reckon I do it myself without thought.

Maybe it's like Whale Watching.

Gonna give it a try. Honey hold my calls, I'm gonna be doing a little knife staring, no interuptions.

It started when I was a kid and out in the wild. That knife around camp and at night around the fire sure felt good to have. Sometimes it was an el cheapo Rambo knockoff, sometimes one of my grampas. I especially like using one of his Robeson Suredge USN fighters,(looks like a Kabar to me). I'd admire the grind, the patina, the edge, the stacked leather handle, the feeling of his being there with me on my young adventures.

Fast forward to todays outdoor fun, noticing how the firelight plays on the Lacewood scales, how I love the look of copper pins over brass, knowing I have a few different zones of sharpness-the point for picking slivers out or starting to poke a green pepper for morning eggs. etc...you get the picture.
Now I have the privilege of sharing these thoughts with my gals and nephews.
Yep...knife staring...around a crackling fire, I drift away...and smile. :)

Mark

"Knife staring". That's a new one on me but I reckon I do it myself without thought.

Gonna give it a try. Honey hold my calls, I'm gonna be doing a little knife staring, no interuptions.

My EDC carry yesterday was this:

View attachment 453765

Yes, a bb-gun. Before everyone laughs (I know it's too late), here's why:

For the past couple of weeks a rat has been wandering around my house every other night or so. Three times I was watching TV after midnight, and there it was. The rat was too quick to catch or hit with a stick, and it can squeeze under doors. Also it didn't go for the traps and poison that I set out, and I don't have a cat or dog.

My concern wais that it might start chewing through wiring or food containers, or leave diseases in its droppings. What to do?

I decided to get a bb-gun and practice with it on the chance that I could blow away the little intruder without doing too much damage to my walls or furniture. At least I wouldn't feel completely helpless watching the rat scurry around and disappear behind the furniture or under closed doors. At least it had the decency to act as if it were afraid of me.

So the bb-gun arrived yesterday. However, in the early morning the rat finally was caught in one of my traps. So I'll either give the bb-gun to someone of a more appropriate age, or maybe save it for the next rat.

By the way, the bait that worked was not cheese but peanut butter. Apparently rats like peanut butter as much as I do.
Lol-when I got out of the army the place I lived had a wicked mouse problem-spent a lot of nights reading with a .22 smith kit gun loaded with primed cases and parrafinbullets sittin on the endtable-hours of laughs.

Some of the traditional knife guys call it CE&CF... chicken eye'n and coon fingerin'.

2011-gabby-chicken-close.jpg
raccoon1.jpg

BB guns are great:) I finally have a big enough yard to shoot one without hitting the neighbors. When my daughter gets a little older, I'll get her one for some daddy/daughter time in the backyard.

I guess I felt like playing soldier today for some reason. Leatherman MUT in my front pocket (handy tool and not just for ARs), 92FS in a shoulder holster, and carrying a new production Gerber MKii knife in an IWB small-of-the-back sheath I made for it. Why? I dunno. 30 rounds of 9mm not enough? It's a fun knife just to have:) Amazon had them for $58 which is about $20 cheaper than I usually see them, so I kinda had to treat myself.

Steely there are just some times when a good knife is the right tool 30 rounds of 9mm left or not. You are just recognizing this subconsiously when you grabbed that in addition to the 92FS. I don't know too many people who carry a pistol and don't also have a knife somewhere with them as well.

Needed one of these today,

Was out walking with my daughter and this little fella came out of the woods and rested on the walkway for a spell. My kershaw would have been no match. Had my pistol but ..............

I put him at about 8+ feet

You let a good pair of shoes and a matching handbag get away?

Funny I watched Crocodile Dundee last night, he could have handled that for you with ease.

I didn't realize you had them sort of critter that fer north. One more thing for me to keep in mind when I come to visit.

Back