What do you cheat on your Busse with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grizzly was delayed for a couple days but arrived finally! Its really hard to make a decision with so many scale choices available. For me, when in doubt, go with micarta (although some of the burls look really nice).

GPaxOKA.jpg

Thats awesome! You'r right, not easy with all those choises, i was very close to choose the same as you but went for maple. Nice pic, thanks. ⚔

Flashlights and rechargable batteries. Good god. If I wasn't up to my eyeballs in IOUs ... Jeez. I'm going through withdrawals.

IMG_20170222_110902.jpg
Lately, this little fella has seen most use.
Vanadis 10E at 65RC, near zero ground, 1500grit polish. I really like this blade
IMG_20170108_011854.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Lots of folders, mostly ZT, GEC, Spyderco.

Misc fixed blades, but only a few brands where I have a number of blades.

Busse stuff including SYKCO and SR is the only brand I have dupes of and the only brand I couldn't say how many I have.

I keep meaning to cheat with a few Bark Rivers, but got Nothing left $$ to cheat with by the time Busse is done with me lol

Niiiiiiiiiiiice Rags!;):thumbup:

I'll second that! Looks like an excellent golok/parang, Ragsy. :thumbup:

Clearing some brush this week which involves cutting and limbing out/breaking down long, forked branches to load on a trailer. Decided to see how my best machete/hatchet combo fared against a B11...

HunterBFC.jpg

The machete is a Hunter Martin Fell Beast. Specs:
.110 thick 52100 steel 57-58RC edge, spring tempered spine.
23.5in overall
17.5in blade
2.4 inches wide
23 ounces
Handle slabs - thick horse stall mat, heavily contoured
Acid etched flats/ satin bevel.
Flared stainless tube hardware

The hatchet is a Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet, about 14 in. long, with a very thin primary grind on the bit and razor convex edge bevel. It's a delight to use, light in hand and bites deep with very little effort. Used this pair earlier in the week and was quite impressed.

This morning I brought the B11 for similar work, and was reminded how much I like this knife and why. It doesn't have the reach of the machete or the impact of the hatchet, but it is more controllable than either and handles a broader range of work. It is more efficient on lighter stuff that is awkward with the hatchet and will handle thicker limbs more efficiently than the machete, without binding.

When I have plenty of carrying capacity for blades, hatchets and chainsaw, as in a vehicle, then it's nice to have just the right assortment of cutting tools for every job. But as soon as I need to strap something on my belt or pack to rely on for a broad range of work in the "outback", it's easy to remember why Busse's are my first love. :thumbsup:

Working B11.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I buy when I'm not buying Busse blades

5bd63c8c157aab0ec0e62293f3d4bed3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet, Really been enjoying these lately!!

Nice Beggs! They are on my list for some day. I have one last Dalibor I want to grab and then I'm moving to Greg Lightfoot. He has 2 designs I'm wanting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll second that! Looks like an excellent golok/parang, Ragsy. :thumbup:

Clearing some brush this week which involves cutting and limbing out/breaking down long, forked branches to load on a trailer. Decided to see how my best machete/hatchet combo fared against a B11...

The machete is a Hunter Martin Fell Beast. Specs:
.110 thick 52100 steel 57-58RC edge, spring tempered spine.
23.5in overall
17.5in blade
2.4 inches wide
23 ounces
Handle slabs - thick horse stall mat, heavily contoured
Acid etched flats/ satin bevel.
Flared stainless tube hardware

The hatchet is a Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet, about 14 in. long, with a very thin primary grind on the bit and razor convex edge bevel. It’s a delight to use, light in hand and bites deep with very little effort. Used this pair earlier in the week and was quite impressed.

This morning I brought the B11 for similar work, and was reminded how much I like this knife and why. It doesn’t have the reach of the machete or the impact of the hatchet, but it is more controllable than either and handles a broader range of work. It is more efficient on lighter stuff that is awkward with the hatchet and will handle thicker limbs more efficiently than the machete, without binding.

When I have plenty of carrying capacity for blades, hatchets and chainsaw, as in a vehicle, then it’s nice to have just the right assortment of cutting tools for every job. But as soon as I need to strap something on my belt or pack to rely on for a broad range of work in the “outback”, it’s easy to remember why Busse’s are my first love. :thumbup:

Great review and tools, Will! Yes this is a Bark River Parang, they dont do these anymore. The Parang were made in both 5160 and A2 steel, mine is prototype made from A2. Measuring 17.5" overall with a 12" blade that is .217 thick, the Parang packs a serious punch. Weighing in at 28 ounces, it has a nice feel and chops really well, but nothing beats a Busse Basic when it comes to handle ergonomics. ;)

zHrTsjFh.jpg

Dont have any of those Granfors axes but would like to, they are said to be the best Swedish axes. Got some Swedish Hultafors axes, the smallest one is a trekking axe and the larger is a felling axe. As the Granfors axes the Hultafors comes with razor sharp conves edges. Got a splitting axe from Hultafors too, not pictured.

XtefPUOh.jpg

Last edited:
I've heard good things about the Hultafors axes--those look great! :thumbup: That parang sounds like a keeper, too--would love to handle that one. I do like Resiprene though--keep coming back to it. :thumbup: :D

attachment.php

Last edited:
One more non-Basic knife, this Grizzly arrived today...:D

Bark River Grizzly/Dark Timber Grizzly, .275 CPM 3V, 9,25", 17 ounces, dark curly maple, enjoy...

1jeCm8oh.jpg

1BTA3iYl.jpg
zkxQFxhl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back