What's your favorite Mora?

Hiya pitdog Jr here,

Since Eric ( normark ) made me this cool neck rig my Clipper is my favourite !!!:D:thumbup:
MtWork062.jpg

ToddInlet013-1.jpg

The 510 is my favorite Mora and one of my favorite knives. I think I have used that knife more than any other in the last year.

2nd favorite Mora is the 2000.

How did you make that sheath. Did you just make it on your own or is there a website where you found how to make it?

Here you go. http://www.primitiveways.com/pt-knifesheath.html
I added the one stitch you see in the middle of the belt loop so the sheath wouldn't ride up when you draw the knife, and I also added the loop at the top, because the handle makes the knife top heavy and it wants to flop over. It wasn't too difficult to do, and all you need is a utility knife to cut the leather, and perhaps a pair of needle nose pliers to help pull the fold over through the slots.

Another vote for the 510/545 twins. They fit my hand perfectly, hold a great edge, and are lightweight. Oh yeah, I could buy 20 of them for the same price as some of the other knives I've tried.:D

Awesome guys thanks a bunch. I think I'm going to start off with the 2000 and might add a few more later.

The 2000 is a great slicer since the blade tapers and is very thin at the tip. The other day I used it in the kitchen to chop up some onions and was very impressed. I would have to say that it is my favorite Mora, with the 510 and 780 coming in second and third. I also like that the 2000 and 510/545 knives don't have a substantial guard. FWIW, the Clippers also lack a big time guard. The other Swedish knife that looks like it might bump the 2000 off its petestal is the Hultafors GK Heavy Duty knife. It is basically a Mora on steroids. The blade is only 3.75" long, but it is around .115" thick and the handle is very beefy (in a good way). The knife came with a secondary bevel and wasn't much of a slicer, but I was able to convex the blade and now it is very good. It still won't slice like the 2000, but it is so heavy duty that I think I am really going to like it. Here are both of the knives in one photo.

Top: Mora 2000
Bottom: Hultafors GK

P1060282.jpg

One of the reasons I like the Moras is that the blades aren't too thick and they still perform amazingly well (from what I've heard). I have an old Buck that has a large molded handle with great textured rubber and a really thick heavy duty blade. It actually strongly resembles the Mora but with a really think hunting blade with serations near the tip on top. Now I want a very similar knife with a less thick blade. I think the 2000 is the way to go.

Mora 2ooo. Used it in the Jungles of Peru for a week. I used it wet and it has a good grip. Eric at on-scene made me a sheath to try out and I used it as a shoulder/neck rig.

JungleDay2_053.jpg

normal_JungleDay2_017.jpg

JungleDay2_092.jpg

Mora 2000 was perfect for cleaning fish

JungleDay2_070.jpg

JungleDay2_071.jpg

normal_JungleDay2_074.jpg

I saw your Peru thread. That was awesome. I bet you guys had a great time. God knows I wish I had the money and time to do stuff like that.

You must make the time. It will give you a different outlook.

Time is more important than money. You can't make more of it and you can't ever get it back.

hey great to see you in here pitdog jr your dad takes some awsome pics of the area where you live. you have a very nice rig. my fav. is my mk2 if you don't mind im going to copy that rig i make kydex sheaths and that set up is the tick:thumbup: my cam. batt. is dead will post some pics when i get more batts.

morasallqi8.jpg

here are some of mine my tri flex is being rehandle at this time
morasall1bj8.jpg

sorry for the crappy pics took batts from lantern they were weak cam couldn't focus
xray1wz0.jpg

found this one on the web
xraysd9.jpg

my wife did this one
now you can realy say you know your knife inside and out:)

Pitdog Jr.,

Cool rig, Normark really took care of you. I have to get a set up like that for my son.

eastr77,

I have a question about one of your Clippers. Does the one with the orange/yellow ends on it (the one with the blade pointing to the left) have the standard length Clipper blade? SMKW sells one that they say has a 3" blade that looks like that knife, but I always figured the info on SMKW was a typo since I had never seen or heard of the blade. If it is, I will have to order one since that seems really handy.

Whats a good place to buy a 510 or 2000? Google isn't giving me any love.

thx

eastr77,

I have a question about one of your Clippers. Does the one with the orange/yellow ends on it (the one with the blade pointing to the left) have the standard length Clipper blade? SMKW sells one that they say has a 3" blade that looks like that knife, but I always figured the info on SMKW was a typo since I had never seen or heard of the blade. If it is, I will have to order one since that seems really handy.

hello it's a 3 1/2 inch high carbon stainless fillet knife

http://www.ragweedforge.com/893.jpg

Back