When did a question become chatting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So send the guy an email and he can edit his original post.

I can certainly change the rules to disallow any replies other than "I'll take it" and bumps. If it comes to that we'll do so.

resinguy- agreed. a question about the blade for sale is helpful to potential buyers. the way add posted, he had no intention of buying. he just wanted to know the maker of scales. for that a email would have been better.

quote:
Leemovie,

Nice package!

Perhaps if you do not mind, who did the handle and sheath on this one?

Thanks
end quote.

Last edited:
So send the guy an email and he can edit his original post.

I can certainly change the rules to disallow any replies other than "I'll take it" and bumps. If it comes to that we'll do so.

:( Uh oh. sorry I started this....

resinguy- agreed. a question about the blade for sale is helpful to potential buyers. the way add posted, he had no intention of buying. he just wanted to know the maker of scales. for that a email would have been better.

See, that's the thing, how can you know he had no intention of buying? Because he worded his question in a pleasant fashion? I take words, spoken or written, at face value; without trying to parse hidden meaning or the 'true' intent.

See, that's the thing, how can you know he had no intention of buying? Because he worded his question in a pleasant fashion? I take words, spoken or written, at face value; without trying to parse hidden meaning or the 'true' intent.

did he buy the knife?:D

ps- i was thinking of getting this mule. however, $15 more for the pp fees for a $170 package is too much. ($8 max) for me that was the deal breaker. that and i already have 2 m4 mules:D

Last edited:

Please, you do not know my intent. :mad:

Who ever did the mods has a direct impact on my interest the knife.
Do I know the name?
What is his rep?

The question was sincere, and depending on the answer, effected any further interest in pursuing a purchase.

Quite frankly, imo, this is a poor example of "chit chat" and the mod went over board issuing an infraction instead of a warning.

Inhibiting open questions may effect other prospective buyers as well and does the sales forum no favors...

Last edited:
ps- i was thinking of getting this mule. however, $15 more for the pp fees for a $170 package is too much. ($8 max) for me that was the deal breaker. that and i already have 2 m4 mules:D

I believe this is still an open listing... :rolleyes:

I think glockman is an all-around pain in the a$$. There I said it.
If I WERE a "pain in the ass", you WOULD receive an infraction for THAT statement.:D.:D.

Note, that I was going to issue you an infraction, but those 40 points would have banned you, so I didn't issue said infraction. See, I'm not quite the "pain in the ass" that you think I am...At-least not YET.

Last edited:
If I WERE a "pain in the ass", you WOULD receive an infraction for THAT statement.:D.:D.

Note, that I was going to issue you an infraction, but those 40 points would have banned you, so I didn't issue said infraction. See, I'm not quite the "pain in the ass" that you think I am...At-least not YET.

Well thanks for not banning me, but stating one's opinion about a moderator in a thread that is about his actions (IMO) should not be thought of as an infraction. I'm sorry I said that anyway, I was angry because it brought me back to when I first joined and esav infracted me for the same thing.

also, why is the no chatting rule there anyway?

Well thanks for not banning me, but stating one's opinion about a moderator in a thread that is about his actions (IMO) should not be thought of as an infraction. I'm sorry I said that anyway, I was angry because it brought me back to when I first joined and esav infracted me for the same thing.

also, why is the no chatting rule there anyway?

because it was being abused and members would bump their friend's threads with comments rather than posts with actual interest in the item.

This was a syderco mule that doesn't come with sheath or scales.

Anyone would have asked who did the sheath and slabs if intrested in buying.
It was a very valid question.

I also noticed the one that asked the legit question got an infraction, and the one with a comment only got a warning. Maybe I seen that wrong.

No disrespect meant, just confused. I assume if this infraction stands that no more questions can be asked in any sales thread.

This was a syderco mule that doesn't come with sheath or scales.

Anyone would have asked who did the sheath and slabs if intrested in buying.
It was a very valid question.

I also noticed the one that asked the legit question got an infraction, and the one with a comment only got a warning. Maybe I seen that wrong.

No disrespect meant, just confused. I assume if this infraction stands that no more questions can be asked in any sales thread.

this would be problematic.

im with guy on this one, if the question is about the item, and not an obvious attempt to bump the thread, it should be left alone.

i can see why mods think the question this thread is about is a bit ambiguous as to intent, but the information was relevant. and i certainly see no need to modify the rules as they are.

If it's borderline, no, we can't read minds, and don't try to. But ADD posted unambiguous praise "Nice package!" and followed that with "Perhaps if you do not mind," which pretty clearly means to me that his interest is in the aesthetics, not the sale.

Esav, I do not see how you make that leap. "Perhaps if you do not mind" means "Perhaps if you do not mind." The guy appears simply to be polite. So what if he paid a quick compliment before asking his question?

The rules state:
Bumps or BTT style posts are only allowed once every 72 hours, per thread.If you bump your thread more than that, it will be locked. New posts listing price changes, new photographs or information, or additional items for sale, answering buyer questions, or listing the item as sold are allowed and do not apply to the "1 Bump every 72 hours" rule.

The fact that you can bump a thread by answering buyer questions means (to me at least) that potential buyers have to be able to ask the questions in the first place. A little civility and common sense would go a long way here. Dann had no idea what ADD's intent was. That much is pretty clear. I respect the work that the mods do here, but not to the point that I give you fellows credit for mind reading.

The last post in the thread (by GRIM 62) was clearly chatting. However, ADD's post looks to me like a question from a potential buyer who was curious about information that would have a direct relation to the sale of the knife. Just because he placed a few niceties in the post does not take away from the fact that he asked a legitimate question.

Yes, he could have asked the question via email, but Esav, as you point out yourself in this thread regarding the Exchange practices...

Unfortunately, not everyone follows their email closely. With a PM, you get a notice in the upper right of the page here. With some people, you have to post "email sent" just to get them to look at it some time this week.

We don't want too many strictly enforced rules on using email or private messages. Registered Users don't get private messaging anyway, and we do want them buying and trading.

ADD is a registered user and does not have access to Private Messaging.

Again, I don't think zero tolerance is the answer. I realize posting in the Exchange is a privilege, not a right. But I also know an awful lot of people support this site for the privilege of using the Exchange, and a little bit of common-sensical leeway seems like the best path.

I'm going to add, in Dann's defense, that if I had to wade through sale threads all the time, I would probably have less tolerance when it comes to chatting. And we don't know what Dann was thinking either when he issued said infraction. Maybe there's back story here that's relevant.

That said, on the surface, the dude just looks to be asking a question to a number of us here. I don't think any of us object to the rules or the work the mods do. We'd just like to operate there without feeling like a total gag order is in effect.

On Bladeforums, you can post pics of a 900 lb woman sticking a cucumber up her rectum, but you cannot ask a knife seller who made the handle and sheath.

You can only laugh at this stuff.

On Bladeforums, you can post pics of a 900 lb woman sticking a cucumber up her rectum, but you cannot ask a knife seller who made the handle and sheath.

You can only laugh at this stuff.

appropriate posts in the appropriate subforums.

this seems to be a fairly isolated incident. i ask questions all the time in sales threads and have not been infracted. i also answer questions, and have not been infracted.

perhaps we (me included) are overreacting a bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back