When did a question become chatting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
a moderator made a decision. i respect the decision. i've found that they have been pretty fair.

ps- i've been corrected a few times. when i reflected back, yeah i was wrong. i'm pretty sure the mods have more info than i do.

Last edited:
Well it would appear that Glockman made the right call after all.

He may have ESP, or probably just ESPN. :D

I think he does a superb job moderating the sales forum.

Well it would appear that Glockman made the right call after all.

He may have ESP, or probably just ESPN. :D

I think he does a superb job moderating the sales forum.

What is your evidence that he made the right call? :confused:

Not one moderator has yet explained to my satisfaction what was wrong with ADD's question, or how any one of us could avoid an infraction in the future when asking legitimate questions in a sale thread. IMHO we users have not learned anything helpful so far.

Although I would say Dann showed great restraint in not banning Supmonkeyface for mod sass.

What is your evidence that he made the right call? :confused:

Not one moderator has yet explained to my satisfaction what was wrong with ADD's question, or how any one of us could avoid an infraction in the future when asking legitimate questions in a sale thread. IMHO we users have not learned anything helpful so far.

Although I would say Dann showed great restraint in not banning Supmonkeyface for mod sass.

Evidence:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6996244&postcount=3
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6996387&postcount=7

Avoiding Infractions for chatting is as simple as asking your questions by PM or Email and leaving an "I'll take it" when and if you are interested in buying the Item listed.

I Think Glockman99 does a fine job moderating that forum, and if anything is more than lenient with infractions/warnings.

Thanks for the support, guys, but this really isn't an "us against them" sort of thing. We moderators have to do the best we can, with the tools and knowledge that we have...Sometimes we do right, and not piss too many people off, and the other times just has to turn into a learning experience.

Anyhow, I do my best not to be a hard-ass, but "rules are rules".

Obviously I'm going to have to make a ruling here.

Evidence:

Avoiding Infractions for chatting is as simple as asking your questions by PM or Email and leaving an "I'll take it" when and if you are interested in buying the Item listed.
That is not evidence.
That is interpretation of the a poster's words without nefarious intent to bump a sellers thread.

A question directed to the seller either implies further interest to buy or it does not (chit chat).

The rules currently provide for the seller to answer questions from prospective buyers... now, should those questions be asked privately or in the open forum seems to be the crux. :)

Last edited:
Please do, a few people are waiting to see the outcome .

Richard

Yes we are. We do need to know if we can or can't ask a question about a knife in the thread without wondering if we may be infracted for doing so.

Evidence:

but per the exchange rules, questions are permitted in the thread.

taking it to pm or email avoids any risk, however, in and of itself, a question is not infractable.

I Think Glockman99 does a fine job moderating that forum, and if anything is more than lenient with infractions/warnings.

he most certainly does.

that doesn't mean that there can't be disagreement. i may have gone a different route with regard to my disagreement, but im with guy and ADD on this one.

but it is also possible that all the pertinent information has not been made public.

but it is also possible that all the pertinent information has not been made public.

None that I am aware of. :eek:
The mod, (who does a good job) has posted here twice and is free to directly offer anything else...

I did not start this thread, just responding to RG's opening post since I was the subject of his query in his sales thread. My motivation to address it is based on that. Not an infraction. :yawn:

The top two posts precede mine in the sales thread.

"Looks like Buckeye Burl in the pics."
(no mod action)

"looks awesome. would also be interested to know if you are open to trades? do you have a spine shot of the handle?"
(no mod action)

#10 mine (quoted here extensively :D)
(infraction)

"Damn,that handle is nice!!"
(warning)

I think my email to the mod asking what was up was justified and occurred before RG started this thread.

Looks like a lot of good questions have been raised here by others and hopefully Spark can address them sometime in the future. :thumbup:

BladeForums is the premier knife enthusiast site and I do appreciate the volume of posts and issues mods must deal with.

Let me provide the forum with a few statements, by way of advice.

Ask the wrong question and you get the wrong answer. If ADD was given a warning in error, he could have addressed glockman99 privately and asked about it. Instead someone else asked about it, and in doing so, made it seem that any question could draw moderator action -- when a glance at the Exchange forums shows this is not the case.

Don't overinterpret. Don't assume one incident is the standard for all future behavior, when you and the supervisor -- who sees A LOT of similar posts -- do not see this one post the same way.

Don't ask for what you don't need. Today, the Exchange forums run on rules that grew out of years of experience, but they still allow for flexibility. If you like, Spark WILL make a ruling on this, and you may not like the ruling. It will be fair and it will be clear and there will no longer be room for constructive ambiguity..

Let me provide the forum with a few statements, by way of advice.

Ask the wrong question and you get the wrong answer. If ADD was given a warning in error, he could have addressed glockman99 privately and asked about it. Instead someone else asked about it, and in doing so, made it seem that any question could draw moderator action -- when a glance at the Exchange forums shows this is not the case.

Don't overinterpret. Don't assume one incident is the standard for all future behavior, when you and the supervisor -- who sees A LOT of similar posts -- do not see this one post the same way.

Don't ask for what you don't need. Today, the Exchange forums run on rules that grew out of years of experience, but they still allow for flexibility. If you like, Spark WILL make a ruling on this, and you may not like the ruling. It will be fair and it will be clear and there will no longer be room for constructive ambiguity..

I'm dealing with other crap right now, but I'm obviously going to have to rejigger the forum rules on this.

I'm leaning towards not allowing any replies other than one's implying purchase ("I'll take it") and bumps; and the Seller must edit all new information into the original post.

Here's the rules from AR15.com's equipment exchange forum:
Equipment Exchange Rules

1. No more than TWO ads on page 1, and no more than FOUR ads within the first two pages.

2. No bold commands allowed in subject lines unless you're a paying Dealer/Industry Partner.

3. All ads should be placed in ONE appropriate forum.

4. All items MUST be priced!

5. You MUST have valid contact information to sell on AR15.com, and provide it to EE Staff on request.

6. You MUST have both your IM and e-mail turned on to sell here.

7. No auctions (or links to auction sites), unless specifically authorized by AR15.com. Accepting higher than stated prices for an item is considered 'taking bids' and is not allowed. If receiving a higher than advertised price is important to you, list your item on an auction site. Moreover, "Or Best Offer" is understood on the EE to mean best offer up to the listing price, not best offer above the listing price.

8. No links to other commercial sites except by AR15.com Dealers and Industry Partners.

9. WTB/WTT ads MUST be placed in the appropriate WTB/WTT forums ONLY. Posting them in the WTS forums may result in them being deleted instead of being moved. The ONLY exception is the NFA Firearms & Parts forum.

10. If you post more than EIGHT ads a month, think about becoming a team member and help support this site. This rule does not pertain to Dealers/Industry Partners.

11. Absolutely no stomping on other peoples' posts! Do not remark in any way that would negatively impact the sale of someone’s merchandise. This can result in your account being locked.

12. No posting of anything illegal.

13. Once your item is sold or traded, do NOT delete the original title, ad text, or asking price. Leaving the ad in place after a sale is protection for both the buyer and seller, and also acts as a price reference for others. Disregarding this rule may result in a suspension of your account. Edit the title and text of the ad to mark it "SOLD" or "TRADED". Do NOT post a new reply!

Rules #14-17 are specific to “BTT”, or bumping ads to the top of page 1:

14. Keep in mind Rule #1 above.

15. The seller CANNOT reply to their own ad within 72 hours of anyone's post (including their own) for any reason. The 72-hour countdown for the seller restarts with each new reply to the ad by ANYONE.

16. All changes/updates should be done with the edit feature to the original ad, not by adding another response.

17. Sellers -- If 72 hours have not passed since the last post by anyone, all questions should be addressed by IM, e-mail, or edit ONLY!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18. Buyers -- STOP the trivial 'mail sent' nonsense. Simply send the seller an e-mail and/or IM. Also, STOP bumping ads with "Hey, free bump for a nice rifle.", "Free bump for a nice guy", "Hey, great rifle. I wish I had the money", etc. All small talk should be restricted to IM or e-mail. Do not post in an ad unless you are interested in the item(s) for sale.

19. Don’t use a secondary "shill" account to ask a phony question or post any other messages, thus BTTing your own ad. This will result in BOTH accounts being locked!

20. Sellers -- Don’t rewrite an ad again in order to get it back on page 1.

21. Sellers -- Do not post items for sale that you do not have in your possession. Also, do not list items for sale unless you are 100% positive that you wish to sell them -- no "testing the waters" to gauge buyer interest or taking pre-orders.

If you break any of these rules, your ad may be removed or locked WITHOUT any notice!

Most importantly:

These for sale forums operate on honesty and integrity. If you cannot handle deals in an appropriate manner, don't post here! If you break our trust, it will be noted in our feedback forum -- selling rights may be removed and/or your account here will be subject to termination.

All items listed for sale must be described in an honest fashion! Do not attempt to represent replica (AirSoft, etc.) parts/products or cheap knockoffs as if they were Name Brand/OEM equipment! Do not knowingly sell defective products without acknowledging the defect. You must handle your transactions in a timely fashion. If you can't, don't buy it or sell it. And lastly, please maintain a reasonable level of civility. If a problem arises, don't immediately fly off the handle with threats & insults.
Do we really need to go this hardcore?

I'm dealing with other crap right now, but I'm obviously going to have to rejigger the forum rules on this.

I'm leaning towards not allowing any replies other than one's implying purchase ("I'll take it") and bumps; and the Seller must edit all new information into the original post.

Here's the rules from AR15.com's equipment exchange forum:

Do we really need to go this hardcore?

nope!

one incident should not warrant a complete retooling of allowable posts.

I'm the one that wrote,Damn,that handle is nice.Esav gave me a warning,it's not the end of the world.If I would have read the rules more thouroughly,I might have known better.Either way,it's my bad.

hey add, you got one whopping point of an infraction. maybe you could've gotten off with a warning, but you got the 1 point.

add, did you buy it?

how bout i chitchat with you one time.

ps- what drama.

Last edited:
Keep it chill, folks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back