Who else uses a scythe?

I've decided I'm going to start doing some hardcore research into American scythes. Looks like virtually no one has done so so far, and I'd love to see it enjoy the same renaissance that the Euro scythe has.

Some good pics I uncovered from the Dunn Edged Tool Company:

wayne2.jpg

wayne3.jpg

Good. I've had enough with the euro scythe hippies! Looking forward to spring :)

I have a killer 16" bush blade, but I am still searching for a good grass blade. The ones I have are not tempered correctly, the bush blade stays sharp more or less forever it seems.

This is a loooooooooong-term goal, but I'd like to eventually reproduce the blade collar on my personal scythe (I'll take some disassembled photos later) as it's a vastly superior adjustment arrangement to the presently available three-hole collar on Seymour snaths. I'd also like to find someone to steam bend some lighter-weight American snaths than those presently produced. Maybe even contract Schroeckenfux to make some high-quality blades. The costs involved would be pretty massive and far beyond my present means but I'd love to see it done. I can dream, right? :p

You should go to Google Patents. In the search place type in x1921. This will take you to what may be the first scythe patent in the US. May 1813. Don't know for sure if it's the first since many patent records were destroyed in the patent office fire of 1836.

Checked it out and I can't understand a word of the written explanation. It's not self-evident from the diagrams either, but seems to be something of a manufacturing technique that was being patented?

After much searching (who knew there were so many scythe-related patents!?) I think I found the inventor of my snath collar! CLICK

It's not easy reading. I can get most of it but I have a lot of experience reading field notes of the original land surveys of Michigan which has very similar style of grammar and writing.
Go back to Google Patents and try 72 scythe. This bumps you ahead to where the descriptions are type written. I think this is the first scythe patent after the 1836 fire.

Last edited:
Saw that one already, actually! Some of the apparatus designed for the manufacture of scythe blades or snaths are pretty intimidating! Others not nearly so much. Same goes for the variety of blade collars! Some look WAY too mechanical to belong on a scythe. :p

I'd call mine a true taper, but the cross section doesn't look like any of those. I really need to get some new handles shaped and mounted. And then PICS!

I have an old Craftsman snath. American style - a yankee. It's stamped 'Made in Sweden' and 'Patented April 12, 1926'. Estate sale special. It's in surprisingly good shape. Just had light surface rust which I removed with a brass cup wheel on an angle grinder. It's sharpened to a razor's edge and it just plows thru the grass.

When sharpening it I put a heavy duty C-clamp in my leg vise to hold the blade in a horizontal position. It's handy for file work. I'll put up a pic one of these days.

Interesting! If you happen to get a chance please post photos of the shape of the blade, bend of the snath, and the attachment collar/apparatus. I've been finding the near infinite variations of these very interesting and I'd love to see what Craftsman was using.

The handles can be relocated just by unscrewing them a little, sliding them along and twisting them tight again.

Scythe4.jpg

Thanks! Looks like I found the patent for that one. Unusual snath in that the end is quite large and not tapered down at all, but you're right in that it looks like it's in great shape! Looks like a Dutch pattern blade, too, which gives the blade a little more meat right at the beard for tough targets and a more agressive shearing stroke.

Visited the local antique tool shop today and scored a near-mint bush blade by E&S Manufacturing Co. of Oakland, Maine for only $8.40 out the door. It's a hefty beast of a blade with a tang over 1/4" thick (though the blade itself is, of course, much thinner!) The only condition problem with it was a wrinkle in the edge right at the heel/beard of the edge, and I was able to easily peen it back in line on my anvil. I'll take some pics tomorrow!

It's a beautiful blade. I had seen it on a previous trip but didn't have any "play money" at the time, and fortunately the local market for scythes/blades is pretty low and the quantity is usually high. Unfortunately there weren't too many other decent blades or snaths there, but I'm sure more will filter in later. :D

My dad came along for the pickin' too and snagged some nice little items, including a Nicholson XF double-ended knife edged file in a 0 cut. Flawless condition, and it should make a great saw file.

Back