Who else uses a scythe?

Looks like an old Seymour snath. I imagine their current replacement nibs would still fit that one. Just use a wire brush to clean up the rusty fittings and then soak the crap out of them with penetrating oil to loosen it all up and get moving parts working again. You'll also want to oil the crap out of the snath so it won't be so brittle from having dried out. Nice snag though--that blade looks to have a very nice shape to it!

Thanks, 42. I was hoping to spend some time on it today, but other things got in the way. Maybe tomorrow. I hope the snath comes out okay. There are a couple places with some grain separation near the outside edges. It's WAY dried out.

I spent the fall playing with scythes, got a sweet little 12" brush blade for my American scythe. That thing eats reeds/goldenrod/small trees like candy. A neighbor of mine also dropped by with his euro scythe lamenting my "obsolete" American scythe. I tried it, and frankly hated it. Too light, I felt like I was doing twice as much work and if I took any off the swing it would stop cutting. The heavier tool does more work if you know how to use it. The only advantage the euro had was in short grass, but since I do not employ that method of grass maintenance I don't care for them.

I feel like you just rained on my parade. ;) Seriously, though, this thing is super light. The blade is super thin. Surprisingly thin to me.

It's an Austrian-made blade, but an American pattern one--you can tell by the tang profile. Part of the light weight is due to the snath being very dry, but it's also because scythes are light tools regardless of it they're American or European in design. The American ones just happen to be heavier than Euro ones, which weigh almost nothing!

It's an Austrian-made blade, but an American pattern one--you can tell by the tang profile. Part of the light weight is due to the snath being very dry, but it's also because scythes are light tools regardless of it they're American or European in design. The American ones just happen to be heavier than Euro ones, which weigh almost nothing!

OH, shoot! I take it back, then! I just assumed it was a euro because it was made in Austria! That's cool, though! It also looks like it's been peened in the past????????

EDIT: Upon further review, I don't think it has been peened after all. It does have a secondary bevel at the edge that is very thin. Like paper thin. Are they normally like that?

Last edited:
Sounds like it may be one of the Euro/American hybrid blades intended for grass mowing. If so it can be peened like a Euro blade but it takes advantage of the greater range of adjustability and robust snath of the American pattern. I'd suggest a more typical American mowing blade for any woody-stemmed targets, as it will be less prone towards damage if you botch a swing (easily done when making hundreds of them, like you do in a typical mowing session!) Most Euro/American hybrid blades are intended for light work rather than general mowing.

Sounds like it may be one of the Euro/American hybrid blades intended for grass mowing. If so it can be peened like a Euro blade but it takes advantage of the greater range of adjustability and robust snath of the American pattern. I'd suggest a more typical American mowing blade for any woody-stemmed targets, as it will be less prone towards damage if you botch a swing (easily done when making hundreds of them, like you do in a typical mowing session!) Most Euro/American hybrid blades are intended for light work rather than general mowing.

Thanks, I appreciate all your helpful information!

Anytime! Scythes need some more love and attention! They're great mowers that run on breakfast and don't wake the neighbors at 6 a.m. :p:thumbup:

In UK tradition the bottom one would be called a slasher. :):thumbup:

I had to use it a little, but after a few adjustments on my part, I've found the slasher to work very well.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these tools. The first one is an Imacasa second one a Martindale. When my wife and take walks I like to carry a cheapo grass whip but I've been eyeing these recently. Traditional Scythes seem a bit to big and unwieldy to carry along on a walk.
yhst-29358752693524_2178_12131544.jpg

yhst-29358752693524_2178_12997891.jpg

A light scythe alternative is the "grass hook." Seymour makes a decent one, and a nib can be attached to the handle to make it resemble a straight-snathed single-handled European scythe.

ImageRequest.aspx

While not a proper Scythe, I do have the honor of having my great grandfathers sickle. It cuts exceedingly well.

I once accidentally clove through a 1" walnut sapling with it - the handle (long ago worn smooth) twisted in my hand when I intended to trim off a low branch. Twisting inward, it sailed through the stalk with little effort.

Since that incident I have given it a lot of respect, not only for its history but also for its cutting ability. To use it foolishly would invite disaster.

Is it a normal sickle or a scythe-bladed sickle? It's pretty excellent you still have your great grandfather's tool!

Edit to add: In further research and experimentation I found that it's most typical and preferred to sharpen the American pattern on both sides of the blade equally. A clear representation of this is the below image.

It's a bit frustrating trying to research this subject, as it seems not many have given much attention to the history and development of the American scythe.

wayne2.jpg

Attachments

• wayne2.jpg
    wayne2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I sold my last scythe. Something I never got much into. All I have left is a blade with Zenith stamped into it. Must be a Marshall Wells.
Jim

And if you have any questions go ahead and ask! I'm the first to admit I'm not an expert, but I've tried to do a lot of research and experimentation with American scythes and don't plan on stopping! :D

Back