WIP Santoku, Pikal, and BT4 36" Radius Hollow

Tried out some carbon fiber on top of micarta today.

5429308593_afbac53ce8_b.jpg

5429787351_a74b715562_b.jpg

5429789223_c50e1dd415_b.jpg

Cool! How's the grip with carbon fiber? I've never handled anything in carbon fiber.

It has a very smooth feel to it. Feels like a smooth piece of charcoal ;)

Looks good! :thumbup: But I have read here in BF that micarta takes on sent from food, blood etc. Is that fact or fiction :confused: Because I have ruled out all micarta due to that problem.

Micarta is porous, which means the surface isn't sealed away from the elements or blood and guts. If you spray perfume/cologne on Micarta, it will seep into the Fibers and stay there unless you clean it out

I don't consider micarta porous because it is paper, linen, canvas sealed and encapsulated in phenolic resin or epoxy in the case of homemade micarta. The very surface of it may be slightly absorbent because of the exposed linen or canvas. Nothing that a good washing couldn't get rid of.

It is still my favorite handle material because it is very durable, looks good, and feels good.

I can't imagine it would hold onto scent any better than wood or G10. As a matter of fact wood would even be more porous than micarta when not stabilized. G10 is made very similar to micarta with the exception of the glass fibers.

Last edited:
I had a bird and trout once that had tan canvas micarta. We used it as our roe knife when salmon fishing and by the end of the trip it was bright pink and stunk like roe. When I got home I cleaned it with a scrub brush, warm water and soap. After the smell was barely there and it was tan again.

Back