“Simple” but exquisite knives

Fixed: Baumgart , Preslar, Bernard

LB-DP-double-stain-3.jpg

Folders: Lloyd, Coats, Davison

lloyd-warn-52100-mammoth-auroch-trapper.jpg

ta-davison-box-elder-1.jpg

coats-bf-5.jpg

As you are not a paying member of the forum, which is highly recommended to help keep this site up and running and doesn't really cost much to become a member, I can't message you so I will put my thoughts here.

You may want to get a copy of this book, if you don't already have it, as it will give you plenty of knife styles to look over and I think in the back there is information for those folks that are current knife makers so you could reach them if you are inclined to do so.

I guess there is a 2022 release as well, seen here;

But again the nice Bulgarian knife I showed first, I was just using it today and simply amazingly sharp especially with such a thin edge, Stoil Manchev Stoil Manchev can certainly grind a blade down thin to really cut well.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Last edited:
As you are not a paying member of the forum, which is highly recommended to help keep this site up and running and doesn't really cost much to become a member, I can't message you so I will put my thoughts here.

You may want to get a copy of this book, if you don't already have it, as it will give you plenty of knife styles to look over and I think in the back there is information for those folks that are current knife makers so you could reach them if you are inclined to do so.

But again the nice Bulgarian knife I showed first, I was just using it today and simply amazingly sharp especially with such a thin edge, Stoil Manchev Stoil Manchev can certainly grind a blade down thin to really cut well.

G2
Thanks for this, Gary. And for the reminder about membership — I think I was a member many years ago, but may have let it lapse. Regardless, I’m signed up now. :)

Good lad ;) every bit helps of course and that book, I don't know if there is a newer version out, I'd like to pick up one myself, it's been ages since I've had one of those.

Fair warning, they tend to get you into trouble, inspiring purchases that may lead to even more purchases :)

Keep safe and stay well sir!
G2

I’ve owned one of those copies and they are very nice but as nice as they are, they are very hard to find any more.
G2

Often in the past I've used "Fake Lakes" to describe them. Several years ago, I acquired either 10 or 15 of them (can't remember for sure) to give out as gifts to some friends, but did end up selling maybe five of them. I typically see one come up for sale now and then, always under $500 when they can be found. I think most people simply love them so much because, as you know, they are really good pieces. There were, as I recall, a total of 500 made about 20 yrs ago

Nice, mine resides north of me at my alternate collection museum, ;) kidding but the fellow that has it now also owns several others that use to be mine.

I can't keep them all but I sure do miss them when they are gone. That one in the photos of mine, I stumbled across when I was at the Lewisburg PA small knife show, a fellow there had a lot of unique folders and I spotted that one and fell in love, well, in lust? lol

G2

Simple shape with clean lines yet elegant steel, grind details and micarta backed walnut scales. Titanium fasteners too.

xzovWo5.jpg

Very much agree on the simplicity and elegance of the Kephart pattern, and on the execution by CPK in particular.

I have two Kepharts now, a CPK and a new custom one that I just received on Mon, made by Paul CPE_Knives CPE_Knives .

Starting from a Magnacut blade, I asked Paul to choose handle to fit a general-purpose waterproof knife. And he executed wonderfully, with a mix of G10 (scales + pins) and Micarta for the liners. The tan G10 looks almost like a light wood or bone. I don't have a scale here, but the tang has holes and a fuller, the knife is light and balances very well.

Perfect form and fit to function in my mind.

Thank you much, Paul !

Roland.

i-dp693BH-X4.jpg

i-B7jxKfT-X4.jpg

i-dZMDpkZ-X4.jpg

i-bHL62PT-X4.jpg

Very much agree on the simplicity and elegance of the Kephart pattern, and on the execution by CPK in particular.

I have two Kepharts now, a CPK and a new custom one that I just received on Mon, made by Paul CPE_Knives CPE_Knives .

Starting from a Magnacut blade, I asked Paul to choose handle to fit a general-purpose waterproof knife. And he executed wonderfully, with a mix of G10 (scales + pins) and Micarta for the liners. The tan G10 looks almost like a light wood or bone. I don't have a scale here, but the tang has holes and a fuller, the knife is light and balances very well.

Perfect form and fit to function in my mind.

Thank you much, Paul !

Roland.

i-dp693BH-X4.jpg

i-B7jxKfT-X4.jpg

i-dZMDpkZ-X4.jpg

i-bHL62PT-X4.jpg
Fantastic knife, Roland.

Back