🔥🔥The Wilson TekLine S.A.F.E. Knife Build Thread

Sam Wilson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
OK guys, this is a build along thread as the S.A.F.E. knife goes into production. I don't have a lot of photos yet as a lot of things are happening at once. But as I get components back to me, I will post updates here and get feedback from everybody.

In brief, S.A.F.E. stands for Survival Adventure Field and Exploration. This was one of my early original designs, if there is such a thing in the knife world, for a very practical and usable, light, easy to carry, and yet still substantial enough to get some work done hollow handle knife. I have made quite a few of these over the years, and it has always had very positive feedback.

I'm not going to spend a lot of time going over the durability of these knives, because I have established that over the last more than a decade of making them. At any rate, they're designed to be used as knives, for cutting and not for use as some sort of demolition tool.

That being said, everything is 100% made right here in the USA, and a good portion of the final fit and finish and all of the assembly is done in my shop.

These have a 4.75" long blade of CPM 154 stainless, 3/16" thick for the blade. They will have an aluminum guard, aluminum handle, and aluminum buttcap, all to keep weight down. I have made various configurations of steel and aluminum components in the past, and steel handles and buttcaps are just too heavy.

I'll go ahead and post some pictures of some of the custom versions, and break this up into multiple posts so it's not quite a novel to read. Any and all feedback is welcome, even if we disagree. I love to get opposing viewpoints, so if you got something to say, speak up freely. If you want to troll hollow handle knives, prepare to get decimated.

cyLJUnR.jpeg

816ufjG.jpeg

Sam⚔️⚔️

Like my other knives in the mid-tech line, you will be able to buy the knife without the sheath. This brings the cost of entry down, and also allows you to pick a different sheath or sheathmaker if you have a favorite one.

We will be offering leather on these. There will be two different sheaths, the plain jane and a cadillac version. They are pictured below, next to one of the prototype S.A.F.E. knives and the black sheath which was the original prototype sheath nearly a decade ago.

The primary difference between the plain jane and the cadillac sheath will simply be that the cadillac version has the pouch on the front, and also a slip sheath behind it so that you can fit the PSK knife into the sheath behind the pouch. This is the same system as on my custom versions.

tzLhF2I.jpeg

Sam⚔️⚔️

OK, buttcaps are rolling also. When I make these individually in my shop, there are about 25 to steps when doing these one by one. There really is a lot more these little guys than meet the eye. Again, 100% made in the U.S. That doesn't save me any money, but the quality and control over the product it gives me is beyond worth it.

3gLmZcm.jpeg

Sam⚔️⚔️

digging this one, Sam. looks good and a good blade length on it for my uses. I'm gonna be in for one when they are available. pre-order on this or being sold when ready, first come first serve style?

Thank you, jbmonkey jbmonkey ! I have been making these on the custom side for a number of years and the 4.75" blade seems to be a sweet spot for many people.

I will be setting up a pre-order in a couple of weeks to get the first drop lined out, so everybody can get in on the drop and also so we know what to make. It will be real similar to the Kephart run.

Sam⚔️⚔️

Love these. Do you have video of these being put through their paces for bushcraft and other reasonable use? I know folks get cranky about the perceived weakness of the blade/handle junction of hollow handle knives and I think it would be great to put that to rest.

Zieg

Thank you. I have done a lot of videos over the years showing the durability my knives, I will put two here for reference. These days I focus more on edge geometry and other derails, as I don't really believe I can make them much tougher for their intended use. Those that don't want to be convinced won't be.

Sam⚔️⚔️

Love these. Do you have video of these being put through their paces for bushcraft and other reasonable use? I know folks get cranky about the perceived weakness of the blade/handle junction of hollow handle knives and I think it would be great to put that to rest.

Zieg

This is cobbled together with spare parts for the sake of a photo, but here is what the hardened and ground blades will look like. Should have a pic with finished guards and handles by the beginning of the week. Very crispy!🔥🔥⚔️⚔️

5Bp8sZS.jpeg

Sam⚔️⚔️

Are these going to be released through Gear Convoy also? I’m ready to get my hands on one!!

Back