1 CRK Knife For 1 Year!

I am two months into the challenge and going strong. My previous posts are in this thread.

Firefighterguy
Start date: 12/1/18
Knife: large 21
1st attempt

As I mentioned earlier, I sold off most of my knife collection to buy this and I made a commitment to not buy and knives this year so I plan on staying strong!

I am two months into the challenge and going strong. My previous posts are in this thread.

Firefighterguy
1st attempt

As I mentioned earlier, I sold off most of my knife collection to buy this and I made a commitment to not buy and knives this year so I plan on staying strong!

Let's see a photo.

Firefighterguy
1st attempt

My 21 is my only locking folder above $50. So I hear you. Mine is still razor sharp with the edge I put on at 18dps. Very happy with the edge retention with the high polish from diamond paste/strop and easy to maintain with it as well.

Make some room in your PM box. Your all filled up.

... And I'm out!!! :(

I can't believe it. I failed in my own thread!

Truth be told, I think trying to go an entire year was a bit of a stretch for me. I should probably have started with carrying the same knife for a month, then 2 months, and so on, and so on. Jumping straight to the year mark goal is a tough one for sure.

In the end there wasn't really anything that was wrong with EITHER knife I chose. It was just my wanting to carry something else (mainly the new Laconico Keen), or at least giving myself the option of carrying something else.

Oh well, it was a learning experience, and probably not for just me!

I'm going to leave this thread open to see if SOMEONE can do it. Please be sure to post some pics along the way, too.

Best of luck to those that are still going strong!

That´s sad...I was reading the thread with expectations...

Much like firefighterguy I sold off a couple of knives to fund another Sebenza. Right now my only carry knives are a Benchmade Proper and Small Sebenza. Since I will likely sell the Proper this weekend the Sebenza will be my only carry knife (I still have some collectible/sentimental knives that I don't/won't carry) so for me this is more of a "can I hold onto the Sebenza for a year without selling it to buy something else" challenge.

I am starting the 1YC with the Small Sebenza 21 on February 1, 2019. This is my 1st try.

And here is a photo.

My 21 is my only locking folder above $50. So I hear you. Mine is still razor sharp with the edge I put on at 18dps. Very happy with the edge retention with the high polish from diamond paste/strop and easy to maintain with it as well.

Make some room in your PM box. Your all filled up.

Thanks for the heads up. I cleared it out.

Here’s a pic of my knife taken today. 72A955AD-51E1-48E7-8AB1-B03348313B29.jpeg
I just did my third sharpening on it. I used it until it wouldn’t cut printer paper anymore. I’m just amazed at how well it slices through cardboard fresh off the stones. #nofilter

img_20190202_020621_3525536761633188701431.jpg

Today I'm starting my 1 Knife For 1 Year Challenge!

This is the Chris Reeve large Sebenza 21 Macassar Ebony wood Inlay.

Starting today I’m going to carry, use and bond with just ONE knife for an entire year. This knife will be the ONLY knife I carry and use on a daily basis

Good luck to all who have entered this cool challenge! I admire the self discipline it takes to not give in and reach for something different every now and then. (I’ve carried my small Inkosi mostly every day for months, but there’s always the odd days when I feel I need to carry something else along with the Inkosi, so I’d have a hard time using that one exclusively.)

Looking forward to seeing the updates and results! :thumbsup:

Still In:
1/2/19
Large Inkosi natural micarta

Just about a month in. Long way to go but definitely the longest I've carried the same knife in years.
I unfortunately have to bow out. It's not that the Inkosi is not the knife I want to try it with or wanting to carry different knives but I just got hit with a big quote to fix my truck and can't afford to carry around a $550 knife at the moment. Sucks to end the challenge but life happens.

My 21 bit me on the thumb right at the spot which comes in contact with the thumb stud.

Had to carry a flipper or an opinel until it healed. About a week.

Back to the 21 now.

I’m giving this challenge a go. The knife I’m carrying is my large StarBenza. I actually started on 1/1/2019, but I didn’t sign up until now because I didn’t know if I had any real chance of sticking with just one knife for an entire year, so I was uncertain. However, I can now see that I do have a high probability of success. Doing this challenge tracks with my 2019 resolution to stop needlessly buying new knives as if there’s no tomorrow. I don’t know if I can claim credit for having started on 1/1 but if not, I’ll go with whatever "official challenge start date" is designated by Glock Guy Glock Guy . GG--please let me know what the official call on my start date will be.

I already removed the CRK factory lanyard but I may add different lanyards during the course of my year--or not. Ditto on the pocket clip. I’m thinking about putting on an MXG deep carry clip.
Here’s my presently de-lanyarded 2019 EDC CRK:
a07b98bc-4b52-49ac-899d-9a56cfb75813-original.png

Since this one was the first of the five large Sebenzas I’ve bought, I think there’s a certain logic and propriety in this being the one I do this challenge with. At the very least, this challenge should help me curb my impulsive buying tendency and steer me away from buying more knives which would only see little pocket time as well as diminishing the amount of pocket time the knives I already have would see.

Looks like I'm permanently out of this thread. Had to move along my WC 21. It was a wonderful EDC.

I will own many more. I will be carrying an XM 18 for a while instead. It fits my needs better ATM and frees up some extra cash to give a friend in need.

Looking forward to watching the thread.

Looks like I'm permanently out of this thread. Had to move along my WC 21. It was a wonderful EDC.

I will own many more. I will be carrying an XM 18 for a while instead. It fits my needs better ATM and frees up some extra cash to give a friend in need.

Looking forward to watching the thread.

Gallant effort my friend, and it looks like something good came out of it for a friend in need.

I'm still waiting to pull the trigger on something for this thread, too. I have some things in the works, but still waiting for that special something.

The XM-18 is a great blade, and I'm sure it will serve you well!

Stumpy72
Start Date was in late 12/2018, but I’m calling it 1/1/2019 because I don’t remember the exact date
Knife = Large Star-Benza
First attempt
I’m now >2 months into it and still going strong, but monotony and boredom have definitely set in. Worse yet, I bought two non-CRK grails that I’d been eyeing for some time in February. Not carrying either of them feels weird but it’s keeping me from adding new grails to my now nearly empty grail list. If I stick with this challenge (which is still a question every morning), I think I see any more purchases as being very unlikely. I've rationalized the two February grail buys because they’d been on my grail list for some time, but buying any more “working class” EDC quality knives would be senseless, without purpose and counter-productive.

This challenge is taking almost all the fun out of buying and collecting knives. I feel like some shoe-addicted overweight chick who’s trying to swear off of chocolate and new shoes.

Back