1 CRK Knife For 1 Year!

I love those waffle handles .

Last edited:
OK guys I've failed in this thread along with others here, so I think I need to re-think this challenge a bit.

When I started this thread I wanted to see if I could make it a year with just one knife with the outlined rules that I had in the 1st post. I was looking at it as just a way to document a personal challenge, but when other people wanted to jump in I thought that having multiple stories was even better.

Really the only thing I didn't want was this thread to turn into a knife flavor-of-the-week, with people jumping in and out of the challenge all the time. Luckily it has not turned into that, but I think having some new guidelines to the challenge would be great, and I would like your input in it as well.

Here's what I like so far:

*** 1 Knife For One Year Challenge Rules: ***

- You must actually carry the knife! You may OWN as many as you like, and fondle all the ones you care to, but you can only CARRY one knife to join in on this thread.

- Specific purpose knives do NOT count. As I said earlier, I have a knife that is the designated box cutter in our home. Maybe you have one for specific work duties, skinning animals or cleaning fish, and of course all kitchen duty knives. Those do NOT count. Again this is just for carrying a knife for a year to see if you can.

- I will also add that you are allowed to carry a secondary knife. I know several people that carry, say, a large CRK along with a smaller, multi-purpose or more people friendly knife (SAK/Old-timey/etc.) That IS allowed, but you MUST carry the same CRK for ONE YEAR!

Here's what I think needs to change, or at least be modified in some way:

- You get ONE mulligan/false start/do-over/etc. I know we're all human, so if you start out with one knife and decide it's not for you, you are allowed to change it ONE TIME ONLY! Any more than that, and you are out, and can NOT post in this thread again! Also, if you do switch blades, your goal starts over as well!

My thoughts after actually failing my own challenge are something like this:

- I would like to allow each participant 3 chances (strikes, if you will) before they are out.

- You need to carry/use/try out the knife you want to use as your 1YC (1 Year Challenge) EDC for 2 full weeks BEFORE you post a picture of it and declare your entry into the challenge. This should save a few false starts, as well as some people finding out that a Small Sebenza/Inkosi is *too* small, or the Umnumzaan hurts their thumb too much, but they had no way of knowing until they had the knife in their hands.

- When you enter, you must declare entry into the challenge: I am starting the 1YC with this knife: ____________ starting now, ___ (the date)___, this is my ___ (1st, 2nd, 3rd try)___.

- After each strike you must wait AT LEAST 2 weeks to re-enter.

- Last but not least, once you are out of chances, you are done. Period. You can NOT post any more "this is my EDC now" posts in this challenge thread. Start a thread of your own if you want, or feel free to chime in with advice or encourage those who are still in the challenge, but respect the fact that this thread is for challenge participants ONLY.

Let me know if I missed anything, or if there is anything else you guys would like to add. Once we get the new rules finalized everyone will get a restart with the new, 3-strike system if they want, or will continue their year challenge with the 3-strike rule in place.

Again thanks for all who are participating in this thread, as it's awesome to see all the CRK pics and how the owners are sticking to the challenge.

Finally a HUGE congrats go to those that are still in with the current rules, as well!!!

OK guys I've failed in this thread along with others here, so I think I need to re-think this challenge a bit.

When I started this thread I wanted to see if I could make it a year with just one knife with the outlined rules that I had in the 1st post. I was looking at it as just a way to document a personal challenge, but when other people wanted to jump in I thought that having multiple stories was even better.

Really the only thing I didn't want was this thread to turn into a knife flavor-of-the-week, with people jumping in and out of the challenge all the time. Luckily it has not turned into that, but I think having some new guidelines to the challenge would be great, and I would like your input in it as well.

Here's what I like so far:

- You must actually carry the knife! You may OWN as many as you like, and fondle all the ones you care to, but you can only CARRY one knife to join in on this thread.

- Specific purpose knives do NOT count. As I said earlier, I have a knife that is the designated box cutter in our home. Maybe you have one for specific work duties, skinning animals or cleaning fish, and of course all kitchen duty knives. Those do NOT count. Again this is just for carrying a knife for a year to see if you can.

- I will also add that you are allowed to carry a secondary knife. I know several people that carry, say, a large CRK along with a smaller, multi-purpose or more people friendly knife (SAK/Old-timey/etc.) That IS allowed, but you MUST carry the same CRK for ONE YEAR!

Here's what I think needs to change, or at least be modified in some way:

- You get ONE mulligan/false start/do-over/etc. I know we're all human, so if you start out with one knife and decide it's not for you, you are allowed to change it ONE TIME ONLY! Any more than that, and you are out, and can NOT post in this thread again! Also, if you do switch blades, your goal starts over as well!

My thoughts after actually failing my own challenge are something like this:

- I would like to allow each participant 3 chances (strikes, if you will) before they are out.

- You need to carry/use/try out the knife you want to use as your 1YC (1 Year Challenge) EDC for 2 full weeks BEFORE you post a picture of it and declare your entry into the challenge. This should save a few false starts, as well as some people finding out that a Small Sebenza/Inkosi is *too* small, or the Umnumzaan hurts their thumb too much, but they had no way of knowing until they had the knife in their hands.

- When you enter, you must declare entry into the challenge: I am starting the 1YC with this knife: ____________ starting now, ___ (the date)___, this is my ___ (1st, 2nd, 3rd try)___.

- Last but not least, once you are out of chances, you are done. Period. You can NOT post any more "this is my EDC now" posts in this challenge thread. Start a thread of your own if you want, or feel free to chime in with advice or encourage those who are still in the challenge, but respect the fact that this thread is for challenge participants ONLY.

Let me know if I missed anything, or if there is anything else you guys would like to add. Once we get the new rules finalized everyone will get a restart with the new, 3-strike system if they want, or will continue their year challenge with the 3-strike rule in place.

Again thanks for all who are participating in this thread, as it's awesome to see all the CRK pics and how the owners are sticking to the challenge.

Finally a HUGE congrats go to those that are still in with the current rules, as well!!!
The new rules sound good to me. I will need to restart mine. I think I may switch from the Sebenza to one of my Inkosis. During this cold weather no matter what I do my fingers get cracks from the cold. I end up using superglue to seal them. The double lugs of the Inkosi will be easier on the tips of my thumbs I am thinking. No more flipping knives open and closed one handed because it kills my fingers. Two hands opening and closing only for me now. I’ll compare it more in the coming days, maybe that single lug on the Sebenza will be enough. We shall see.

ETA: I’m also thinking that my Inkosi with micarta inlays and my Sebenza with wood inlays are also going to be easier on my hands vs. my PJ models.
Now I will be picking between these two:

i-3TB3Ksc-XL.jpg

i-TwrQTTD-X2.jpg

Last edited:
I hereby declare my 3rd and final entry into the challenge ;)

I am starting the 1YC with this knife:

Large Wilson Combat/Double Lug Sebenza. Starting now 01/27/2019 .

I started with a Unique and then the CF version. Both were great but no matter what I couldn't help but want the double lugs and ultimately preferred the titanium over CF. Although the weight cut if the CF was a pleasure to pocket.

The WC 21 also has milling for grip on both sides and that's a win for me.

I have reprofiled it to a high polish 18dps. It's a Lazer.

IMG_20190127_093748~2.jpg

Last edited:
I hereby declare my 3rd and final entry into the challenge.

I started with a Unique and then the CF version. Both were great but no matter what I couldn't help but want the double lugs and ultimately preferred the titanium over CF. Although the weight cut if the CF was a pleasure to pocket.

View attachment 1061848

Best of luck with the new blade. Sounds like this one is a winner!

This is actually a great idea, I think I'd like to try this challenge, I will be using the same knife as you considering that I am familiar with it and I have had it in my pocket almost all month.
I am pretty pumped to see all the people who decided to accept the challenge and watch the progress!!!

Well I will have to do my second start later in two weeks or more. Today I grabbed a different knife than my umnumzaan. I told my fiancé that I was doing this challenge and she was surprised I went as long as I did with just one knife. But I have a GEC #44 with the brass bolsters and bullet shield in the mail now so it would be difficult to not give that a lot of love once it comes in. So after carrying that around for a while and giving my other users some attention I'm gonna try this again. Hopefully the second go around I'll be able to last a lil longer than the 21 days for this last streak. Good luck to anyone still going!

I hereby declare my 3rd and final entry into the challenge ;)

View attachment 1061848
Bro, I think you can cheat a little bit here and go with whatever 21 you like on a particular day. It's all the same knife ;). Hehe

Well I will have to do my second start later in two weeks or more. Today I grabbed a different knife than my umnumzaan. I told my fiancé that I was doing this challenge and she was surprised I went as long as I did with just one knife. But I have a GEC #44 with the brass bolsters and bullet shield in the mail now so it would be difficult to not give that a lot of love once it comes in. So after carrying that around for a while and giving my other users some attention I'm gonna try this again. Hopefully the second go around I'll be able to last a lil longer than the 21 days for this last streak. Good luck to anyone still going!

Almost a month is still a lot longer than most. Also, if you want to carry that new Gunstock in addition to your Zaan (small knife/big knife duties) that's fine, as it was spelled out in the conditions earlier. A lot of people carry a smaller SAK-type knife for a companion.

Bro, I think you can cheat a little bit here and go with whatever 21 you like on a particular day. It's all the same knife ;). Hehe

I know you're just kidding, but No. Cheating ain't winning! It needs to be the same knife, not just the same model of knife. That's what makes the challenge so tough.

Also, if anybody is still in this challenge, could you please chime in with your start date and knife so we can keep track and cheer you on?

STILL IN:
- BF Name/Knife/Start Date

I think today is as good as any for me to start this challenge. I just received a brand new Small Sebenza 21. According to my records this is actually the 13th Small 21 I've owned since 2010, so I must love this knife; I just have a hard time hanging onto it. I'll try and update this thread with an image every month. Since I don't have a large knife collection anymore this probably won't be as hard for me as for others. I've always said if I could only own one knife it would be the Small Sebenza 21.

Still in, just an update given the guideline adjustments and declarations. I will probably update monthly from here on out.

I am started the 1YC with this knife: Large Sebenza 21 Insingo Micarta on January 19, 2019, this is my 1st try.

Day 9
Given the terrible weather, the knife hasn't seen any outdoor hard use. Mostly opening mail, packages and breaking down boxes. I used it for a few household projects that I would have normally used a beater. Actually finding the swedge to be pretty useful. Edge has held up pretty well and have only stropped it a few times. I normally take my CRKs to a polish, but this one I stopped at 600. It's not the crazy sharp I normally go for, but it's still very sharp and seems to be holding up better.

wzaPrno.jpg

pfXjHE8.jpg

Last edited:
OK guys, official rules in the 1st post have been updated to the following:

- You must actually carry the knife! You may OWN as many as you like, and fondle all the ones you care to, but you must actually carry one knife to join in on this thread.

- I will also add that you are allowed to carry a secondary knife. I know several people that carry, say, a large CRK along with a smaller, multi-purpose or more people friendly knife (SAK/Old-timey/etc.) That IS allowed as long as you also carry the same CRK for ONE YEAR!

- Each participant gets 3 chances (strikes, if you will) before they are out.

- Please carry/use/try out the knife you want to use as your 1YC (1 Year Challenge) EDC for 2 full weeks BEFORE you post a picture of it and declare your entry into the challenge. This should save a few false starts, as well as some people finding out that a Small Sebenza/Inkosi is *too* small, or the Umnumzaan hurts their thumb too much, but they had no way of knowing until they had the knife in their hands.

- Last but not least, once you are out of chances you are done. Period. You can NOT post any more "this is my EDC now" posts in this challenge thread. Start a thread of your own if you want, or feel free to chime in with advice or encourage those who are still in the challenge, but respect the fact that this thread is for challenge participants ONLY.

...And with that, let the games begin!

I am not entering the contest but I have found for the last year that my small inkosi has claimed my pocket. I'll buy a new knife and carry it for a day or two and then the inkosi just sneaks back into my pocket. It just belongs there. I've carried three traditionals (gunstock; forum 2018 and a stag dixie stockman in slips but when I need a knife my hand goes straight to the inkosi clipped to the pocket. The knives in slips never get used so back they go into storage. What I do do is keep a small stockman on the table next to my chair for small tasks like cleaning nails. It's a daily user but never goes into my pocket. I guess for me, which knife I carry is an act of routine not obligation.

1 KNIFE FOR 1 YEAR!
Today I'm starting my 1 Knife For 1 Year Challenge!

That being said, I will allow exceptions for specific cutting chores like food prep, where I would grab a kitchen knife, or cleaning a fish/dressing a deer, where one would grab the appropriate fixed blade. Also due to the fact that our household gets a TON of boxes, and those boxes need to be broken down, that job will continue to go to my Spyderco Endura in ZDP-189 which has been, and will continue to be, the designated box breaker-downer, and is kept in the garage for that very purpose.

- You must actually carry the knife! You may OWN as many as you like, and fondle all the ones you care to, but you must actually carry one knife to join in on this thread.

I carry various knives as I find them, and sell off the ones that don't catch my fancy.
One knife for one year is okay, but you have obviously allowed exceptions...so this airplane won't fly...IMO

WHT said:
... I guess for me, which knife I carry is an act of routine not obligation.

This is exactly what I wanted to gain from doing this challenge.

Back when I only had one knife, it was just a routine to put on my watch and put the knife in my pocket. I didn't even really think about it. But when I had multiple knives, it's almost like it took too much thought to think, "Hmmm... which knife should I use today." And some days I would even switch out during the day.

Again there is absolutely *nothing* wrong with having multiple knives that you enjoy carrying and using. Even if some of them just sit in a safe and you take them out to oogle every now and then. Whatever works for you is great, and by all means continue with it. Nobody is trying to change your thinking, or say you're wrong for doing what you do.

For me though, I just wanted to get back to the simple days where I just had to remember to put my knife in my pocket and went on with my day.

This challenge reminds me that a knife is a tool and great companion.

Last edited:
Back