1 CRK Knife For 1 Year!

I am starting the 1YC with the pictured StarTac today May 02, 2022. This will be my 3rd attempt.
Here are pictures or the knife never carried or used. View attachment 1807582View attachment 1807583
In all seriousness, I couldn't bring myself to EDC a knife costing me nearly $1000; i have enough trouble using my Mnandi as an EDC. Kudos to you for being able to carry around a Wilson Combat Zaan and use it daily. I think that it takes a special type of person top do that.

In all seriousness, I couldn't bring myself to EDC a knife costing me nearly $1000; i have enough trouble using my Mnandi as an EDC. Kudos to you for being able to carry around a Wilson Combat Zaan and use it daily. I think that it
I was going to write a lengthy response that explored the many excuses a man could come up with for the use of something expensive when something much less costly could infact do the same job / task.
Then I decided that there was already enough bullshit spread around this forum so Iā€™ll just tell the truthā€¦

It makes the little boy inside of me, that grew up with pretty much nothing, happy.

Be safe my friend.

Last edited:
Like most things in life, it really depends on the person. Some people drive expensive sports cars, and others drive old beaters. If the old beater breaks down, it might be hard for the person driving it to pay for repairs, whereas if the Porsche breaks down, maybe that person drives the Mercedes until it gets back from the shop.

The truth is just using a basic ($400-$500) CRK is enough to make some ā€œotherā€ knife enthusiasts shudder.

The older I get the more I realize that people buy what they can afford, and they can use it however they want to.

And that's what makes life great.

Best of luck to all those that have, or will take this challenge.

Having a CRK in your safe is great, but having one in your pocket is more fun!

Last edited:
Like most things in life, it really depends on the person. Some people drive expensive sports cars, and others drive old beaters. If the old beater breaks down, it might be hard for the person driving it to pay for repairs, whereas if the Porsche breaks down, maybe that person drives the Mercedes until it gets back from the shop.

The truth is just using a basic ($400-$500) CRK is enough to make *some* other knife enthusiasts shutter.

The older I get the more I realize that people buy what they can afford, and they can use it however they want to.

And that's what makes life great.

Best of luck to all those that have, or will take this challenge.

Having a CRK in your safe is great, but having one in your pocket is more fun!

I drive beaters cuz I buy my vehicles for $500-$1000 max when they need engines, transmissions or hybrid batteries because Iā€™m a career auto mechanic. I donā€™t make car payments so I can buy expensive knives when I want šŸ˜‚

2 days early of my 1 month check-in but the next two days are going to be crazy for me and didn't want to miss it. I put this Startac into my pocket on May 2nd and its the only knife I have carried and used since. I haven't even picked up my beloved Mnandi!
Its starting to take on some age and is completely broken in. Smooth as glassā€¦
See you all in a monthā€¦
View attachment 1832969View attachment 1832968

2 days early of my 1 month check-in but the next two days are going to be crazy for me and didn't want to miss it. I put this Startac into my pocket on May 2nd and its the only knife I have carried and used since. I haven't even picked up my beloved Mnandi!
Its starting to take on some age and is completely broken in. Smooth as glassā€¦
See you all in a monthā€¦
View attachment 1832969View attachment 1832968
Your poor Mnandi! It is so ignored!

I know! Itā€™s just biding itā€™s time knowing that when all this silliness is done it will be back in my pocket till the end.
I see, then you will ignore the Zaan after this is over. Your poor Zaan. šŸ¤£

Last edited:
I see, then you will ignore the Zaan after this is over. Your porr Zaan. šŸ¤£
Oh it will be a few years yet. Iā€™m working for a new outfit that requires many more field hours out of me so a fairly heavy duty work knife is a must again and the Zaan is my choice for that.

Oh it will be a few years yet. Iā€™m working for a new outfit that requires many more field hours out of me so a fairly heavy duty work knife is a must again and the Zaan is my choice for that.
I am sure you will work it out in the end. Maybe one knife in the right pocket and one in the left. That way they can both feel the love.

And as of lunch today, Im outā€¦

Had a bit of a lesson given me about how 3.5 inches actually means 3.5 and no more here.

Last edited:
And as of lunch today, Im outā€¦

Had a bit of a lesson given me about how 3.5 inches actually means 3.5 and no more here.

Well that sucks!

I know that certain places, especially government and Federal facilities, can be real sticklers on the blade length.

Well that sucks!

I know that certain places, especially government and Federal facilities, can be real sticklers on the blade length.
Our state has fairly lenient knife laws actually but are very strict on concealed length. 3.5 is the limit and itā€™s enforced in the two largest cities of which one is mine.

Back