• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

10" Heavy Chopper (HDMC) , Delta 3V, micarta, Terotuf, colors

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is the last of these for a while.

The 10" Heavy Duty Medium Chopper (the Heavy Chopper) is about the same size as the Medium Chopper but very stout and practically unbreakable. It combines a high degree of extreme durability with outstanding edge retention and good cutting performance with top-of-the-line ergonomics for an engineered cutting tool that performs well but this heavy duty chopper is practically unbreakable.

It could be relatively competitive in a cutting competition but it also has a handle that accommodates multiple hand grips and blade geometry that is very durable. Part of that is the robust geometry and part of that is the Delta 3V heat treat protocol that I believe is the finest heat treat for this material available anywhere.

The hand grip works as a large camp knife when held towards the front with good balance and dexterity. When held towards the back it fully fills the hand and offers control and reduced hand fatigue for extended hard chopping. Like the HDFK before it, the handle on the new 10" Choppers is the product of a long iterative process of testing and development. It will impress you.

It has a forward lanyard hole as used in competition cuts and a hidden rear lanyard hole.

After machining the primary bevels are hand ground with the shallow S grind we're using on our competition choppers that are winning races.

U1GD4rs.jpg

HlbAjP2.jpg

Cu4Zrys.jpg

LJHWfgv.jpg

lJjBYWp.jpg

Qmfsnjn.jpg

Specs:
Delta 3V, 60-61 HRC, .275" thick at ricasso
Total length 16"
Blade length 10"
Weight 25.6 oz
Edge angle 22 DPS
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or TeroTuf
Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners (you can request uncoated if you prefer)
Hidden lanyard

These are all “field grade”, “as machined” and ground, stonewashed with tool and grind marks.

Price includes shipping and a very good kydex sheath

$582 in canvas micarta, natural or black (excellent material, this is your best value)
$592 in black linen micarta
$592 in OD green micarta (no liner)
$612 double red canvas micarta on black liner (red resin, red textile, looks maroon)
$612 double black canvas micarta on red liner (black resin, black textile, looks as black as Jo's soul, red G10 liner)
$612 in Burlap micarta
$612 in hard Ebonite hard rubber on black liner (experimental material, don't buy this unless you just really want it)
$612 in brown/green/black rag micarta on black liner

Shipping in the USA is $12 and is included in the sale price.

We're offering these choppers with buffed or unbuffed scales. It used to be that buffed was standard, but we're changing to unbuffed as standard because it works better on these larger knives. If you want your scales buffed (it does look very nice) there is no extra charge, just include a note in your order.

The price includes an excellent kydex sheath. Drop loop is standard but if you would prefer you can request TecLok instead. This is a big knife and you probably won't carry it on your belt with a Teklok but some folks mount to their bag and a TekLok is ideal for this.

Tell me what scale option you choose and I'll build it. There are TEN knives available in this sale. The knife in the picture is not the knife you will receive.

Jo and I are leaving for our annual beach trip in the morning. It may take Jo a week or so to respond to your emails. We won't ship next week or have a sale next week. These will ship the following week.

If you get a knife in this sale, please send an email to Jo at jocarothers (at) gmail (dot) com. A good subject line would be: "Heavy Chopper sale 7-19-19 post #X"

Please include the following information in your email:

1: Your post number on the sale thread.
2: Bladeforums name. (for example "Jo the Machinist")
3: Real Name.
4: PayPal email address so we can send a paypal invoice (or ask about other payment options).
5: Shipping address.
6: Scales Choice.
7: Sheath Choice.
8: Any questions you may have or special instructions..

Once I receive this information, if everything is there, I will send you a PayPal invoice. If information is missing or you have additional questions, I will reply to your email. When your email is read and processed I will send you a reply letting you know we've received your information.

Jo and I are leaving for our annual beach trip in the morning. It may take Jo a week or so to respond to your emails. We won't ship next week or have a sale next week. These will ship the following week.

Our next sale will be a few 6" Utility Fighters here in two or three weeks.

Thanks for looking,

Nathan

Back