Photos 110 possible warranty Question

Greetings,
I just received my first buck 110 in the mail today. Love it except the blade is pretty off center. Pretty much touching one side. Also the brass is not polished on the bolster where the back lock release is. I will attach photos best I can. Do you guys think this is something that could lead to problems down the road and I should try to get warrantied, or just chill because its nothing to worry about?
Thanks guys.

The area where the lock release is has been discussed and is not an issue. Buck claims they do not polish this area. I don't think the blade being off center when close will be any functional issue. That is more a visual issue. There are some here that may argue that, but with the width of the 110 blade and the tolerance of the well made Buck 110, I would be hard pressed to think this would ever be an issue.

You say that the blade is "pretty much touching one side". Yes, that would bother me. An off center blade is one thing but when it touches the frame, it's a defect in my opinion.

For reference, here is the discussion about the thumb depression that tom19176 mentioned above.

An exchange from the dealer might have a faster turnaround than Warranty Service but the new knife would probably also have an unpolished thumb depression. If you do send it to Buck, they will take care of both issues.

Buck seems to have a great rep for their warranty & 'spa' services. For the off-center blade, I'd think if you're not satisfied with it, they'd make it right with no questions asked.

For the brass, I wouldn't worry about it. It'll never be a functional issue. And brass on these knives is very easy to enhance & shine up by your own hand. Over time & with use, the brass is going to get tarnished, scuffed & scratched anyway - it won't take long. And as you take the time to address some of those things, the finish at the lockbar release is something that can be fixed up too. In that recurved recess below the lock release, I could see a Dremel with a cotton buff wheel and some polishing compound working very well to handle that. I've used a Dremel in that capacity on an old 112 folder of mine. But it could also be done by hand.

Having said that, if you do return it for the off-center blade, and also mention your question about the brass, they might take care of both issues for you anyway.

Nik,,
Did you get this for a collectable or a user? You said "pretty much touching". There is frequently some wiggle room when a blade is closed.
What really counts is does the blade lock up tight when deployed. If so, use it.
Did you buy it used or new?
Another check is does the blade tip go all the way down inside the frame when closed. Sometimes happens with an older knife that the tip might remain slightly above the frame.

The 110 I've been carrying and using for a few months (2021 vintage) has the blade that much off center when closed, but not quite touching. The blade also wiggles when closed and I can hold the blade so that it's centered, but then it goes back when I release it. I never bothered to look at in that detail before now. When it's open and locked in place, it's solid. No play, no rock.

I have in hand a minty Third Version Variation 2 1967 that has the blade off center to the right. Not touching the frame. A three dot is off center to the left. Some of this bunch (8 old slab sides) are dead on center.

Friends, it has been like this for a long time... Not a problem... For me anyway... Just sayin....

I have noticed that all the 110's I've gifted the past few years have been unfinished in the lock bar cutout, it's not a functional issue and I wouldn't worry about it.
My 110 from 2012 is not like this, but once the brass gets old and tarnished it's hard to see whether it is or not.
I personally wouldn't worry about an off center blade when closed because it's one of those non functional things you'd never notice until somebody told you to look for it, but Buck will make it right if you're really bothered by it.
I couldn't even tell you if my 110's blade is centered when closed, no clue on the 110LT I carried the past few weeks either.

I swear I was much happier before I got internet access and all these people started making me obsess over nitpicky details.
Back then the Buck 110 was the king of folding knives that I just had to have, and my Schrade 33OT got the job done perfectly even though the blade rattled like a pocket full of marbles because I never noticed it then.

Nik,,
Did you get this for a collectable or a user? You said "pretty much touching". There is frequently some wiggle room when a blade is closed.
What really counts is does the blade lock up tight when deployed. If so, use it.
Did you buy it used or new?
Another check is does the blade tip go all the way down inside the frame when closed. Sometimes happens with an older knife that the tip might remain slightly above the frame.
Planning on edcing it haha, yes I bought it brand new from Walmart for $40, their 120 year anniversary edition.

I have noticed that all the 110's I've gifted the past few years have been unfinished in the lock bar cutout, it's not a functional issue and I wouldn't worry about it.
My 110 from 2012 is not like this, but once the brass gets old and tarnished it's hard to see whether it is or not.
I personally wouldn't worry about an off center blade when closed because it's one of those non functional things you'd never notice until somebody told you to look for it, but Buck will make it right if you're really bothered by it.
I couldn't even tell you if my 110's blade is centered when closed, no clue on the 110LT I carried the past few weeks either.

I swear I was much happier before I got internet access and all these people started making me obsess over nitpicky details.
Back then the Buck 110 was the king of folding knives that I just had to have, and my Schrade 33OT got the job done perfectly even though the blade rattled like a pocket full of marbles because I never noticed it then.
Yeah we do get nitpicky. I really like the knife and think I'll just forget about it and if a problem arises I will send it in for repair. Thanks for the input

Yeah we do get nitpicky. I really like the knife and think I'll just forget about it and if a problem arises I will send it in for repair. Thanks for the input
Sometimes it's a good thing because it lets the manufacturers know they can't get away with too much, but then there are many insignificant things I really wish I could forget to care about.
Many things I know I never would have noticed before.

An off-center blade that doesn't affect functionality? Geesh, a Congress would send you guys into a spasm.

I think it's unreasonable to expect a manufacturer to warranty something like this. If you want to be hypercritical about such things just buy knives in person so you can inspect them.

Back