110AG sharpening

Ok Guys,,, help me out here. The wayward AG110 finally showed back up. Well,,,,after the son in law was digging through the bed of my truck loooking for something or the other.. Only been hiding in there since Thanksgiving so was none the worse for wear.

But the problem is. Carried it out to the stand this morning along with the lansky clamp and hones. Worked on it on and off all day while watching a couple of young bucks butt heads on and off for an hour or so.

Finally got it as shaving sharp as any 110 I have ever put the hones to. But in the afternoon, son in law took out an 8pt what had a busted leg and was limping pretty bad.

So i whip out the freshly sharpened S30V to help and was amazed that it wouldn't cut half as good as any of my old ones. Oh it would cut once I got it going but took a little more effort than what a fresh sharpened old one would.

I used the lansky clamp freehand (minus the stand) and went through the coarse, medium and 600 grit fine hones. When it would easily shave, I stropped it on an old belt a few licks. It would easily shave hair.

I am still puzzeled by it not cutting all that great. So,,,,any ideas, Guys?

And, in the mean time, son in law was using a new Idaho 420 and said it was the 5th deer he has done without sharpening. I could tell it was needing some touching up, but he knocked out field dressing it in short order.

I am so cornfused..... at a loss as to what to try now short of sending it to Buck for the free sharpening. Postage could get expensive.

Thoughts?

For a hunting update, son in law did good taking out the cripple 8pt. We will be able to use most of the meat. Specially when he had 7 bucks out in front of him at the same time, to choose from.

I took a high percentage shot at a turkey hen and missed. She was nervous in the high wind and moving around a lot. So a head shot at about 80 yards and either a kill or a clean miss. This time a miss.

We rarely see turkey take off flying instead of running. This bird flew and soared and glided like an eagle for a few seconds. Was cool looking. Went about as high as I have ever seen one go. They rarely go 30 to 50 yards in the air till they hit the ground running.

Going to process meat tomorrow since it is supposed to turn off bad out here. So back to hunting Sat and Sunday.

At least I have a handfull of Idaho 110's to call on if I don't figure out something that will make the S30V sharper for me. I am sure this is just a learning curve for me and S30V.....

Short answer is no....

It is the one I used and bragged about last season. Used it some at thanksgiving and it was still dull then, as in wouldnt shave. Thus the reason I worked on it on and off this morning. Used the 25 degree angle as I have done with every other 110 I have ever sharpened.

So it was new this time last year. Wasn't a fresh out of the box virgin.

...I noticed with my S30V that sometimes it won't cut as well when I put too fine a polish on the edge...That's when I stick to the medium hone and finish it with very light strokes but I don't strop it too hard...S30V sometimes acts weird...You need those tiny serrations left by the medium hone sometimes to get it to cut well...As much as I like S30V, 420HC, the way BOS does it, sure speaks for itself doesn't it?...

Thanks Darryl,,, I will try a few swipes with the medium hones and see how that works.

...I noticed with my S30V that sometimes it won't cut as well when I put too fine a polish on the edge...That's when I stick to the medium hone and finish it with very light strokes but I don't strop it too hard...S30V sometimes acts weird...You need those tiny serrations left by the medium hone sometimes to get it to cut well...As much as I like S30V, 420HC, the way BOS does it, sure speaks for itself doesn't it?...

I agree,you might want a less refined edge for field dressing chores,a highly polished edge is excellent for some cutting chores,while a little bit more bite might be what the s-30v likes,The edge it came with has the mini serrations and was very good at field dressing/quartering game.

I agree,you might want a less refined edge for field dressing chores,a highly polished edge is excellent for some cutting chores,while a little bit more bite might be what the s-30v likes,The edge it came with has the mini serrations and was very good at field dressing/quartering game.

True Razor,,,, first time I used it it was wonderful. so will do the light strokes with the bedium stone. Maybe the wife has her jewlers loop and I can see the edge better.
Thanks guys...

Good luck in your sharpening the edge the way you like,I need to get mine a bit courser as well,the first time was truely a joy to use with the factory edge.

YEP! That post about having chat and web cam cracked me up. As I sit here typing in my boxers with a cig hanging out my unshaven mug... :eek:

OMGLMAO:eek: :D :eek: just the thought of that...the chat and web cam and you, Goose, in boxers:p :D :p. Preston

It scares me to read this... I just picked up a S30V 110 :D
Maybe I can trade it in for a standard 420HC :D LOL

LOL....Jim I trade a 420HC tin can 110 for it any day :thumbup: .

jb4570

...Jim...I'll trade ya a tin canned 110 and 2 cans of vintage SPAM for that S30V...:p :cool: :eek:

My first response would be that maybe it was the way you sharpened but you seem to have a lot of experience with 110's so I am just as puzzled. I have only used the s30v to open boxes and to slice the end of my finger off and in both cases, the polished edge did just fine. :rolleyes:
If it still does not work after trying the suggestions of our esteemed forum posters, drop me a line. Although a long shot, it may be that the heat treat is goofed up. Man i hope Paul is not reading this post!!:eek:

I used some old 440C blades for my elk and deer this season. I had to know first hand how well it would do. Fantastic by the way.

I agree with all posters that recommended a not quite so polished edge. I have not killed enough to dull a knife for too long (the move put a real crimp in spare time) so my S30V is EDC experience and the medium diamond for a minute or so every 2 months is all I need.

Back