1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

112 LT. Really guys? You had to do this to the classic 112 design? Ugly as sin.

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by knarfeng, Jul 14, 2019.

1. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    ^^This

I honestly really like my 110 LT, or the LT concept in general. It gives the full-hand grip that the traditional one offers but at a lot less weight. Mine has moved into my hiking kit since it offers the same functionality of a 110, which is a lot, but at 1/3 or so of the weight.

I think the bump should be addressed and I'm a little surprised they haven, even for the standard 110's/112 really. But, I understand using the same process for all of them so you can use the same blade blanks for everything to keep costs low. For a $20 knife, I'm perfectly happy with them.

I can't remember if the 110 select has the same bump, or if they've addressed that for the newer model. It's a fair bit thinner in handle than the LT so I still prefer the LT. Function over form for sure on these.

I certainly don't think the LT's are for people that want a more pristine product, but I'm not really sure where else you can find a knife with that much functionality for that price, made in the US. The closest I can think of is a Case sodbuster, but that's still a little bit more, but maybe enough better F&F that many would jump to it.

Ace Rimmer likes this.
  2. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    The slim select has the bump. The slim Pro does not.

As far as the lock bar not being perfectly flush, to do the production that is done I think it would be difficult to get them all, once the mold is made its made I doubt there is much adjustment and you cant sand it smooth like you can on the traditional handle.
    Would I like it to be better, of course. But it is a plastic knife so how much can you expect.
    I still don't like the bump.

bikerector likes this.
  3. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    I just filed the bumps off my 110LT's, then polished with a hard Arkansas stone.

4. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I agree with ya Frank. dont think anyone really likes those bumps.

it annoys me more visually than functionally. that's why I have a bunch and use them. I like their lower cost and American made. the slims have a more a 48x look to them though, blade shape wise I mean.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  5. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    In dont think its the end of the world regarding that bump. Especially not enough to not recommend it. Maybe Buck will change it, maybe they won't. I think its great Buck is offering so many new designs and steels for the 110 and 112 line. They definitely need to compete and the LT does that in spades. Its great for companies to purchase and put their own logos on . Great lightweight knife that had been a hit. Buck has sold tens of thousands.

6. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I have several in 420hc and cpm154 and the bump has never bothered me. I think they are great knives and the price is very likable. If it ever does cause a problem I can fix it easy.

sassafrassdogs3 and Bloefield like this.
  7. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    The 422 and the old Bucklite series were "plastic knives". Ditto the paperstone series. They had none of those issues. My 422 handle is dead nuts even with the spring. And the spring is also dead nuts even with the back of the blade. The paperstone knives I gave as gifts were the same. I have MANY knives with FRN handles from many manufacturers. They don't have these issues either. The fact that the LT has a plastic handle has nothing to do with it.

8. Haebbie

Haebbie Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Knarfeng, I Know why, but because of my awful school English it is hard for me to describe. Do you really want to know it?

Haebbie

9. DeSotoSky

DeSotoSky Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I think that the type of plastic does. A sharp corner can not be fine blanked, hence the bumps. The spine of brass framed, Valox, and Paperstone knives are sanded removing the bumps. The nylon frames are not sanded on the spine.

10. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    There were some issues now and again with the paperstone and Bucklite models. Everything does now and again, I don't think the number of issues has grown today vs back years ago. They just get forgotten. I have some and have seen lockbars a tad high or low no matter what the year it was built.
    Other manufacturers have issues now and again as well. Youve lucked out by not receiving any.

11. st8yd

Mar 6, 2009
    First off I am not trying to be argumentive, just expressing my experiences. I have over 25 buck lites from 42x, 44x and 48x series and 4 of the new 110 LT's of the dozen I just checked only a couple were perfectly flush both closed and open, many are good open or good closed and only a little off the other way. Of the 4 new ones the Blue slim is perfect both ways, the two orange one's are near perfect, the Blue Sheild from SK isn't perfect but I not enough to complain about.
    The paperstones they could grind those if needed to make them flush (don't know if they did or not).
    The only experience I have with other brands are $2-5 knives so there are no expectations there.

I recently purchased an aftermarket blade for the 110 that didn't fit perfect, so I adjusted, I was amazed at how little it takes to make a noticeable difference the tolerances of these doesn't take much (most un measureable by many) to be off. I would think that even the least amount of machine wear could begin to throw things short of "perfect". If the pivot pin and lockbar pin spacing arent perfect, if there is any variation in the lock notch or the lock of the lock bar fit, or the smallest variation of ea combined and I could see someone pulling there hair out especially at high production. I have gained a new appreciation after tinkering with them.
    However this doesn't excuse not trying to get it perfect, just a little more understanding when they don't all align.

I see how being able to grind the hump helps final alignment of blade and lockbar for a knife that gets ground (as mentioned by mtpocket in the first thread on this subject)

But I still don't like it left there.

12. BuckShack

BuckShack Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2015
    The aluminum model 110s are as light as these. No play. No bump. I'm hoping a 112 comes along one day. It's another option anyway. Thought I would mention it.

Bloefield likes this.
  13. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    I agree, it does nothing to improve the aesthetics, and nothing to improve the function, so it must be something to improve the profit.

best

mqqn

14. st8yd

Mar 6, 2009
    No, just saves a step keeping the cost down.

Lesknife likes this.
  15. RevolverGuy

RevolverGuy

Aug 19, 2015
    I kind of wish Buck would have added a few more of those bumps. Then it would be jimping. For now I just call that little hump a "jimp".

mbkr, R.D.Hatch and Lesknife like this.
  16. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Haha I like like that. Jimp ! Lol.

I agree it’s not much of a problem or interference for me and it’s a working knife that in a year or so is going to have more scratches and dings than flies on a bulls butt. I’m sure it wasn’t intended and built for a display sitting next to a blinged out custom. I’m certain the LTs were made for a light weight, low cost, utilization as a plain ordinary knife you won’t be afraid of getting beat up a bit and still get the job done.

17. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    It looks a bit weird but it's small enough to forget about and does really bother me on my 110lt, it sure does stick up much.
    I wish it wasn't there, but I'm not really complaining.

18. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    Its there because they cant sand the two down without sanding the FRN down. Brass they can.

AntDog, GPyro and jbmonkey like this.
  19. st8yd

Mar 6, 2009
    Well, they can, ive done a couple, but it just not feasible on a budget production knife.

20. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Huh? I do not follow you.

Lots of companies make lockback knives with FRN handles that don't have humps where the blade and spring meet. They don't sand them down after attaching the blade to the handle. They make the parts so that they fit properly to begin with.

Buck does not attach the blade to brass handled knives then sand them down. They make the blade, remove the bump on the blade, then fit it to the handle. Only with the LT blades, they leave the bump and it becomes a hump. Look at my photos in post one. Buck obviously had to make a special lock bar that curves up at the end to mate up with the raised blade section. That is by design. Not because they cannot do it the other way.

mnblade likes this.