1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

13 1/2 Inch Walrus/W-2 Bowie in the Japanese Style -Photos Added

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by John White, May 17, 2012.

1. John White

John White

Jun 23, 2007
    Here's a large Bowie knife incorporating some stylistic elements and fittings from the Japanese style.

The Bowie blade is 13 1/2 inches of W-2 in a Shinobi-zukuri style with Hitatsura hamon.

Habaki and Fushi are patinated silicon bronze. Seppa are brass.

The rust browned wrought iron Guard is somewhat Tsuba influenced with stylized bamboo piercings.

The Walrus core handle is wrapped in brown silk Ito.

A special Paul Long sheath will follow.

Here's photo by PointSeven taken at Blade.

[​IMG]

Here 'tis on a little stand made of antique heart pine cut before 1895, with a "square-toed" sheath- Cho-Musubi "Butterfly" Sageo knot.

[​IMG]

Thanks to Stuart Branson for inspiration and advice. He is not responsible for my shortcomings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is quite different from my usual resolutely traditional work. In the spirit of the long-running discussion thread, I do welcome your thoughts on this exploration.

John

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  2. Czechmate

Czechmate

Feb 24, 2011
    That's a beautiful knife John! It has great lines to it for sure. :thumbup:

3. NickWheeler

NickWheeler

Dec 3, 1999
    WOW!!! :eek:

4. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    my favourite White knife to this date- and there are a great many favourites. Well done sir!

5. Jos

Jos

Oct 23, 2006
    Damn. That thing is insane! I like the "fusion" of styles!

Honestly, this knife needs a Japanese style wooden sheath!

Kind regards,

Jos

6. SBranson

SBranson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 29, 2006
    I love it John!! I almost like looking at the disassembled photo more as you can see the quality of the individual components.

Excellent wrap and a very fitting hamon. Tremendous piece.

I love how the lower bevel is very Japanese looking but the upper bevel has an unmistakeably western line.

[email protected] I wish I could see this in person.

7. ScottRoush

ScottRoush KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2010
    John that is spectacular. I can't even believe it. Just awesome. That hamon...

No katakiri engraving?? :) How was the class?

8. Mike Quesenberry

Mike Quesenberry

Jun 2, 2009
    Last night on Blade Forums live chat there was a discussion about Mastersmiths and all the things that go along with the title. You sir are over qualified. You never cease to amaze, impress and inspire me.

Oh yeah, cool knife:D

9. Kyle Royer

Kyle Royer

Dec 6, 2006
    Hey John, that is incredible! Wow! :D Can't wait to see it in person. :)

10. Gody

Gody

Jul 20, 2011
    Amazing. The mix of styles is breathtaking.

Brian

11. P. McKinley

P. McKinley KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2008
    You possess a phenomenal amount of talent John. That is a stunning piece of work. I'm in awe of your work.

12. EScott

EScott KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2010
    John,
    That is super cool. I look forward to seeing it at blade. I would say you knocked it out of the park.

13. Mike Craddock

Mike Craddock KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 31, 2007
    Great stuff there John. As usual I always expect to see awsome knives when I look at your work.

Mike

14. dienekis

dienekis

Sep 28, 2011
    This is amazing!

15. GRIM 62

GRIM 62

Mar 29, 2009
    Absolutey amazing!!:thumbup::thumbup:

16. Burton Harruff

Burton Harruff

Oct 1, 2007
    Very inspiring work!!

17. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    John, you have arrived man! That is beautiful!

18. ckerwin

ckerwin

Nov 5, 2006
    Honorable John White, that is awesome!!!!!

19. Steve Nuckels

Steve Nuckels

Aug 18, 2009
    Ditto........

Incredible talent........

Steve
    -----------
    Potomac Forge

20. Chris Montgomery

Chris Montgomery Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Beautifully executed blending of styles!!!! There is nothing I don't love about this one.

Chris