• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

15" x 3" Two Sided Paddle Strops

NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
15" x 3" paddle strop, made from a nice clean piece of poplar and both sides are 8oz veg tan suede/fuzzy side up.

(SOLD) $43 shipped.

akhr7ukh.jpg

lUtpC2xh.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------

15" x 3" paddle strop, made from a nice clean piece of poplar and both sides are 8oz veg tan suede/fuzzy side up.

SOLD $43 shipped.

jM8U3QQh.jpg

(SOLD) asking $38 shipped.

2OKopAr.jpg

eKjsx7H.jpg

WtYcmsm.jpg

15" x 3" paddle strop, made from a nice clean piece of poplar and both sides are 8oz veg tan suede/fuzzy side up. Comes with 1oz bar white and 1oz bar green compound.

(SOLD) asking $43 shipped.

eB8s0Fih.jpg

rmKLVdCh.jpg

----------------------------------------------

I have for sale large two sided paddle strops with lanyard, Asking $40ea shipped within the United States. If you'd like compound I have four different compounds available and are $2 per one oz bar. Black is all cut, white is cut with polish, green is even less cut and more polish and red is all polish/rouge.

If you're located outside the U.S. please contact for quote, will ship within 48hrs via USPS first class and tracking will be provided.

A little about the strop and materials. First I started with a select grade piece of poplar and then ran it through a planer to get it nice and flat, ripped, cut to length, cut out handle shape, routed and then sanded the entire strop down to 500 grit sand paper. I drilled and lightly flared the hole and then added a piece of black 550 paracord for the lanyard. Each side is branded, one side coarse and the other fine. The leather for the strop is a premium grade imported veg tanned leather, I do a lot of leather work and buy large or whole hides and select the best pieces for my strops. The leather is approximately 9oz in thickness and has a short nap and very dense feel. The leather takes compound well and provides an almost therapeutic stropping experience. The leather is attached via a hefty coating of contact cement and is not coming off anytime soon.

Strop dimensions: O.A.L is approximately 15", width is 3", stropping area each side is approximately 9 3/4" x 3".

Seller terms:
If you'd like a strop please post I'll take it in the thread, please send payment within 24hrs of receiving payment information or item(s) will go back up for sale.

#1 SOLD (both sides of leather are flesh / fuzzy)

#2 Sold (both sides of leather are flesh / fuzzy)

#3 SOLD (one side is smooth and the other side is fuzzy/flesh)

#4 Sold

2FMQCQ6h.jpg

6nT2cW2h.jpg

O1byxHLh.jpg

BvkUVmMh.jpg

h53RMzIh.jpg

Lw4GFmXh.jpg

DjV9TqHh.jpg

UU3v2YAh.jpg

Last edited:
As a relative novice to strips, what it the difference/advantage of smooth vs fuzzy?

i would like to know the difference/advantage also. thanks

Well if you search the forum you'll probably see a million different ways and techniques on stropping, I could go on and on but will just keep it very simple. I prefer the flesh or suede side of the leather for bar / stick compounds as the smooth side just doesn't accept these types of compounds well without smearing / streaking. The suede side on a lot of veg tanned leathers is very nappy and has quite a bit of give which can lead to rounding of your edge if not careful. Please keep in mind that the leather I use (suede side) is very firm and has a nice dense nap to it so you generally don't have to worry about rounding unless you're using a lot a pressure. I like to use the smooth side of the leather with diamond sprays, CBN etc. (some even like to use bare). Hope this answered your question, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

I'm interested in one of your strops but need to ask how the compounds may differ from the Bark River formulated compounds. Stropping is new to me, and a task I am not too enthusiastic about undertaking, but need to with the convex grinds. Thanks.

I'm interested in one of your strops but need to ask how the compounds may differ from the Bark River formulated compounds. Stropping is new to me, and a task I am not too enthusiastic about undertaking, but need to with the convex grinds. Thanks.

Hello,

Compounds should be somewhat similar however I believe the bark river may be of a finer / higher grit. I'm currently out of these strops but I'm working on some new ones that will include polycrystalline diamond paste. The pastes will range from .25 micron up to 5 micron and work well even for steels like s90v, s110v etc. If you're interested I can let you know when I finish / list them here.

Thanks!

Got this in the mail today.

Great quality and attention to detail. I would highly recommend this to anyone who needs one.

Do you still have any? I'd love a standard double sided, course & fine, with green & white compounds.

Back