$150 knife with tradability

Hey all, new to the forums and happy to be here.
I am a chef and have lots of experience with nice culinary blades but newish to the better end of the pocket knife world.
I'm looking to get a ~$150-200 working knife ( boxes,soft wood, plastic, rubber daily) which has some tradable qualities.
Any ideas?

Thanks ,
MrJones5588

Any ideas?

Yes, and it might appear at first as kind of an oddball idea. You are a chef, and as such you probably have incredible "touch" with a blade.

Undoubtedly, you will find a knife for the hobbies you desire. And it's my guess some will feel like part of your hand, and others will swing more like a dumbbell.

I would go with all of the experience you have attained. Then come back and teach us!

SpyderCo PM2
ZT 0452
ZT 0450

I've had my eye on these with similar criteria. 99% of what I've read is very positive, and they're in high demand in general so they'll be pretty tradable. I'd be curious what you wind up with. Have fun!

$150-200 working knife ( boxes,soft wood, plastic, rubber daily) which has some tradable qualities.
What do you mean by "tradable qualities"?
Usable in the trades?
Has potential value for trading for something else?
Do you want a folding knife or a fixed blade? Locking blade or slipjoint?
Do you want one hand opening or is two hand opening good?
What blade length are you looking for?
Plain Edge? or Serrated Edge?
For cardboard and rubber, I would suggest a utility/box knife with a tool-less replaceable blade feature. Stanley makes several.
REASON: Cardboard is one of the fastest ways to dull a blade, and Rubber isn't so very far behind.

Not sure what kind of plastic your coming in to contact with. Soft like a storage bowl or plastic soda bottle, or hard like a model airplane kit or the plastic banding used for shipping?

For the wood, presuming you are whittling or carving, a traditional multi-blade slipjoint, along the "Split Back Whittler Pattern" may suit your needs. (it is also a viable option for other tasks).

Welcome! I really like the Spyderco Manix 2 Xl. I have been really happy with the cold steel broken skull to. Its a little under your price range though. Good luck!

Its not necessary to spend $150 or so to get a good pocket knife. Give Spyderco Delica or the Endura a try. Flat ground blade, good steel, not bulky in pocket. Some of over zealous guys get carried away with recommendations.

Tradable qualities? Please explain.

Otherwise, I'd recommend the Gerber EAB. It uses tradable utility knife blades, which have no trouble with the uses described.

$15.00

have a look at cold steel thay have a lot of choice with that price tag and lots of cold steel fans out there

Something slick from GEC.
A batch of #62's was recently released, if you see one you like snatch it up quick, because they won't last long. They rarely ever do....

Happy to hear everyones suggestions. I feel like the manix 2 xl might be a good place to start since I have larger hands and there are many easy options to kinda " make it mine" as I start to fall deeper down this awesome rabbit hole.

Thanks for any input , it's all helpful, I'll post what I end up with in the next week or so.

+1 for Delica or Endura if you just need it for around the kitchen and restaurant utility
People also really like to have Delicas and Enduras in Sprint Runs. Sprint Runs are usually a limited edition of these two models that features a specialty steel
and usually a limited color not featured on the standard line up.
People will want a Sprint run more if you want to trade it away in the future.

Something which may possibly be resold or traded

In that case, a Spyderco Para Military 2 might be a good choice.

If you get it in hand and just don't like it, you should be able to sell it for close to what you paid (here, at least, which requires a Gold membership to do). PM2s are almost like currency. ;)

It's also a good knife for the tasks you describe, is within your budget, and is so popular that aftermarket bling -- if you decide to go that route -- is readily available.

Back