154CM vs. D2

My pref is D2...when did this thread come back to life?

Last edited:
Sure you could!:) I reprofiled my 710 D-2 to 15 degrees pr side, and I can keep it razor sharp with very little effort. It was a lot of work to get there, but it's been well worth it, IMHO.

Don't they already come from the factory at 15 degrees a side?:confused:

Not really. Hardly any western factory knife comes with the edge less than 20 per side.

As for the D2 steel, it is manufactured by over 40 steel makers I know of, and the specs vary really wildly. Here, D2 steel compositions.
As you can see, just carbon content can be from 1.40 to 2.20%. That's 0.80% variation. And considering that high carbon steel in knife marketing means just about 0.50% carbon in alloy... Basically, what I am trying to say is that not all D2 steels are the same, and heat treatment which is good for one batch may not end up that good for another.
That could explain very different comments on D2 steel performance in general.

... Basically, what I am trying to say is that not all D2 steels are the same, and heat treatment which is good for one batch may not end up that good for another.

I'll agree big time with that.

Heat treat and/or batch seems to play a part with many of the commonly found steels.

I don't know what the deal is, but after the 1,000 grit stone on my EP, D2 does not feel toothy, at least the knife I have, I have no jewelers loupe or microscope to compare it to the other steels I have, but it seems to take a very smooth edge.

I have had no problems sharpening any steel other than stuff that's run soft, big burrs are a pain.

I prefer D2 for performance but then again the only D2 blade I have is a Dozier so it's no run of the mill HT.

good point on the different runs of d2. i have the spyderco paramilitary in the special run of cpm d2 and had no prob reprofiling it and it holds an edge in the top 5% of knives ive tested and to top it off ive had no corosion problems at all. Again thats a know quality d2 beings that its crucibles d2 so that prob has alot to do with it. i personally prefer higher quality d2 knives over 154cm

Not really. Hardly any western factory knife comes with the edge less than 20 per side.

As for the D2 steel, it is manufactured by over 40 steel makers I know of, and the specs vary really wildly. Here, D2 steel compositions.
As you can see, just carbon content can be from 1.40 to 2.20%. That's 0.80% variation. And considering that high carbon steel in knife marketing means just about 0.50% carbon in alloy... Basically, what I am trying to say is that not all D2 steels are the same, and heat treatment which is good for one batch may not end up that good for another.

Odd, Benchmade customer service has said on the forum and to me in email that they do 15 to 17 a side......spyderco CS said the same.:confused:

Do you think peeling the occasional apple while out on a hike will hurt the D2 on a 710? I have one and have been thinking about trading it for a 154CM version over the whole semi-stainless thing. I do have to say, my 710D2 has an awesome edge on it and really does hold it. I think I do have to touch up my 154CMs a little more often, though...

It won't hurt it, D2 is very close to a stainless steel so it would take awhile to patina.

In my book, D2 rules. :thumbup: :cool: :thumbup:

My experiene is with Bob Dozier's D2, nothing I have used holds an edge longer.

And yes, it can be a bear to sharpen if you let it get dull.

But this is a knife forum, and sharpening is a skill we should all strive to master.

Re-pofileing is even more work, but still quite doable.

Big Mike

I love D-2 steel. My experience with BM 154CM has not been so good. I use my knives pretty hard so the truth comes out quickly and 154CM is a big turn off for me.

i only have fixed D2 blades but like its properties very much, I have sharpened my queen bear head once since i got it.

I just love Necromancy!;)

My experience with both D2 and CPM-D2 are quite different, and that should be kept in mind. Not only is the Crucible version slightly easier to sharpen, but it takes a finer edge, holds it longer, and is just as tough if not more.

In my eyes D2 is possibly the ultimate steel when it comes to Price VS. Performance.
Holds an edge forever, nearly stainless, and if you get the CPM version, it isn't too hard to sharpen.

As for my experience with 154CM...
I do agree that it is a great steel, some places quoting it as a formulation of D2 with extra chromium, however, through many tests, including woodcarving and extended everyday carry without touchups (up to a month at a time) 154CM simply does not stand up to the same abuse that D2, especially the CPM variant, can. That isn't to say that 154 is a bad steel or that it is inferior to D2.. If you work in wet environments, 154 is probably the better choice. If you don't really have many chances to touch up blades, D2 may be the better option due to it's toughness and edge retention.

tldr;

D2 is a wonderful steel, but so is 154CM.
I personally prefer D2, but that's just an opinion

Hopefully this helps some people out!

Last edited:
Odd, Benchmade customer service has said on the forum and to me in email that they do 15 to 17 a side......spyderco CS said the same.:confused:

That's simply not true: Practically none of them go below 20 dps, and Gator97 is right. I would even say 20 dps is exceptional (a few of the thinner CS and Spydercos), and 25 dps is far more common, with 30 dps routine on many fixed blades, including most of the bigger Al Mars and Seki-made fixed blades.

Practically the only factory knife plain edges I have seen that were below 20 dps, on the apex itself, were convex edge Blackjacks, the convex edge Fallkniven Odin, and the one-sided concave edge grind on the CRKT Apache.

If you include serrations angles, then that would include a lot more...

This is of course strictly for outdoor type knives.

Gaston

Oh, I always thought that D2 was over all better, especially in terms of wear resistance.
I like D2; great steel and very sharp on the Carothers EDC...which just sold. I had lots of 154cm with BM and was NEVER able to get a sharp edge. I even sent knives to BM for sharpening, and they came back dull as heck. That caused me to give up on BM entirely yrs ago. No regrets.

Reactions: Mo2
I am not a fan of D2. Its edge retention is not worth its difficulty to sharpen. It does not take a very fine edge, and it is less stain resistant to boot. I know it was a one a cutting-edge steel, but now there are much better options.

I am not a fan of D2. Its edge retention is not worth its difficulty to sharpen. It does not take a very fine edge, and it is less stain resistant to boot. I know it was a one a cutting-edge steel, but now there are much better options.
I find some d2 easy to sharpen and some is not easy to sharpen at all. Def needs diamond in my experience for the higher hrc d2 steel.

As far as “best bang for the buck “, it’s hard to beat D2. I start out using coarse and medium diamond stones followed by Spyderco’s medium, fine and extra fine ceramics, and sharpening is a breeze.

Well as posted earlier there's 154 cm & cpm154 & there is a difference. I prefer cpm154 over 154cm.
When it comes to D2 I feel it is worth the extra effort to sharpen. It likes a toothy edge,it will take a fine edge
if you have the patience but performs better at every day tasks with a toothy edge in my experience.
Rope,cardboard, rubber hose,don't phase it & yet the same edge will peel hair off your arm or slice a ripe tomato.
If I had to chose one knife to have it would be D2. I like cpm154 just not as much.

Reactions: Mo2
Back