154CM vs. D2

I love D2. Holds a great edge and it's not hard to sharpen if you use the right stuff. If you know what you're doing you can put a screaming sharp edge on it or as my friends says "thats scary sharp." I have several Brous knives in D2 and he runs them at 60RC which holds a great edge. In my uses it holds its own with pretty much any of the super steels. Everyone to their own but I like D2 very much.

I like both steels. D2 seems to hold an edge longer than 154 CM. Of course D2 takes a bit more effort to sharpen. But a little maintenance along the way helps. Don't let it get too dull and then it's not as much work. I have two Kershaw Leeks, one has a D2 blade and the other is CPM 154. I carry both EDC for use at work, switch off every other day. Both are very sharp and maintain a good edge, but I need to touch up the CPM 154, before the D2 normally after similar amounts of use and cutting. The CPM 154 is easier to bring back to super sharp. The D2 though maintains it's edge longer. I use an Idahone and a strop on both.

Back