Wow,
I wasn't expecting that. That's a bummer. Some of the CF almost looks like satin it's so good. Hoping my SK and V8 have a lot less machine marks than that.

Different strokes for different folks. If you happen to not like the CF on one you receive, you could always send it off for a spa treatment. Or maybe just flip it. I see what you’re saying on that SK listing you mentioned. I wouldn’t mind it on a user, but I’d prefer satin/mirrored on a collector. But, that’s just personal preference. Glad to see the CF option was brought back, but I think it would be pretty sweet if all Finish options were available for each release. Then again, I don’t have to do any of the work....

I don’t think they are, but I’ve heard of several members that offer such services.

Not this again... This kind of complaining is what ruined the Comp finish option for the rest of us.
COMP is a USER FINISH, it's NOT Satin. It can come out pretty smooth, but there are machining marks, pits and other artifacts from machining.

Blade Finish Options:
Competition Finish* INFI Silent Knight:
Combat Grade Coated INFI Silent Knight.
Battle Grade Coated SR-101 Silent Knight:

*Competition Finish will have light machining marks and other superficial marks in the steel. (No Gremlins or deep chatter marks)

CF isn't meant to.be pretty. Sometimes it is sometimes it isn't. The reason it was pulled by Jerry before was people were expecting satin and it's meant to be rough. I've been surprised with how finished the CF has been. I expect more marks like the one on the SK

Not this again... This kind of complaining is what ruined the Comp finish option for the rest of us.
COMP is a USER FINISH, it's NOT Satin. It can come out pretty smooth, but there are machining marks, pits and other artifacts from machining.
You beat me to it.

YOWZA!!!!!!!!

All is well gang!

I loved the CF on my own knives so much that I offered it publicly. It was crazy popular and we offered it for nearly 6 years....... Here's my original post from October of 2007

I think the biggest problem we had was that some blades were fairly clean and free of these marks while others were sometimes covered with them. This of course led to many, many returns with requests for either a replacement with a cleaner one or tool mark removal. We often obliged with some tool mark removal which meant taking a loss on a number of these blades while at the same time leaving many customers with a poor opinion of what they perceived to be a quality control issue. I can live with the financial loss but the loss of reputation was really the big issue for us.

You'll most likely see the competition finish offered again in the future on a small select number of "show knives" since folks can see them before buying and there is little room for confusion.

Note also that: THE CF WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE CUSTOM SHOP AT THIS TIME!!!!

I hope this helps to calm the waters.

Jerry

I'll drop this in too.

I can't see the pics. Did you remove them? I'd like to see them.

That nothing to see is mostly lighting giving it a worst case scenario, kinda like morning breath & bed head/hair, think of that as full disclosure lighting. :p All of the recent CG's look like that, but sometimes with actual "gremlins" under the coating and they clean up decent. A blank as nice as that one would clean up very nicely if someone actually wants to do something about it they can be made to look like the original B.I.G. satin or better.

Don't be scared of CF, just think of what you would look like after 80 hours of heat treatment without makeup or cosmetic surgery! :D

Keep the good stuff coming, BOSS! :thumbsup::cool:

No one is complaining. I hope I get one without machine marks. If you hope you get one with machine marks all over it great, more power to you. To the original poster don't be afraid to say what you said. It would be different if you tried to return the knife, because you want it to have no flaws. I certainly didn't get that impression from what you posted.

I didn't get to see the pic but I kinda like machine marks. All of my strippers that I blast have them and I think they look good. Kinda like an industrial demolition tool. As long as there are no grinder gremlin marks or deep air bubble looking pits I'm a happy camper.

I was just trying to get some input as to what people thought might come on the V8... the DS8 CF or the SK CF. Since the V8 and the DS8 didn't have the disclaimer in the original description about the "light machining marks" that other descriptions had.
Not looking to get everybody's big boy panties wadded up.

Back