18" Keffeler Sword (K18), AKA The KOD Piece

Here is the second I snagged off Nathan in the FS thread with an F-16:

View attachment 1543815
Thanks.

So K18 has a much fatter blade. Slightly longer - maybe 2 inches? I'm guessing a lot heavier / more massive. Definitely a more substantial handle . . . two hands . . . if it's as heavy as it looks, you might need two hands. But maybe not. Doesn't look fast in the hand, but appearances can be deceiving. Would love to try chopping a bunch of crap with both and see how that works.

Thanks.

So K18 has a much fatter blade. Slightly longer - maybe 2 inches? I'm guessing a lot heavier / more massive. Definitely a more substantial handle . . . two hands . . . if it's as heavy as it looks, you might need two hands. But maybe not. Doesn't look fast in the hand, but appearances can be deceiving. Would love to try chopping a bunch of crap with both and see how that works.

I have swung my K18 around in my basement like a mall ninja and while two hands is safer, you can def still swing with one hand. mind you I haven’t cut, chopped, or destroyed anything more than imaginary zombies. So Unfortunately I cannot attest to much more. Best of luck.

Thanks.

That Busse F16 is slightly thicker stock but the grind is much shorter. I can estimate the primary grind angle from that picture and (since we win almost every cutting competition we enter, we are a subject matter expert when it comes to cutting geometry) I can tell you it would not win many cut races. The K18 looks pretty big but it is the result of very specific geometry designed to win KOD. While it does weigh more than the smaller knife, it isn't at all unwieldly. It is an engineered piece and something you have to hold in your hand and cut with to appreciate. I would be glad to lend you mine for some test cuts if you'd return it promptly.

This <Hog-Nosed War Sword> is the closest thing I know of in the Busse/Kin arsenal that would compare to the KOD18, but even then it's still apples : oranges, or, perhaps, apples : pears.

The sharpened top edge of the CPK would be a huge advantage over the HNWS in a KOD type competition, imho. But it sure would be fun to watch!

Busse's pic:
Hognose%20War%20Sword_zps4sdpo9hv.jpg

Specs:
OAL: 22.875"
Blade Length: 16"
Blade Width: Approx. 1.85" - 2.5"
Thickness: Approx .250"
Steel: SR-101
Hardness: 58-60 Rc

Last edited:
That Busse F16 is slightly thicker stock but the grind is much shorter. I can estimate the primary grind angle from that picture and (since we win almost every cutting competition we enter, we are a subject matter expert when it comes to cutting geometry) I can tell you it would not win many cut races. The K18 looks pretty big but it is the result of very specific geometry designed to win KOD. While it does weigh more than the smaller knife, it isn't at all unwieldly. It is an engineered piece and something you have to hold in your hand and cut with to appreciate. I would be glad to lend you mine for some test cuts if you'd return it promptly.
I'm pretty skeptical as well, you had better send one my way!
Just kidding, I believe what we are seeing and hearing (although those who have received theirs have been a bit slow with the videos...).

As a former "hog" in Busse world... The F 16 is very clunky and unwieldy. Balance point is far front of gaurd. Handle is significantly under designed for the blade weight and length. In my humble opinion.... Same with the FBM we still own. From what i hear, the K 18 will be much more nimble and balanced and feel lighter then it looks.

I'm not trying to disparage the Busse knife. I'm a big fan of Jerry Busse and his work. And that is a really great looking piece he made. I know that our sword is unusual looking and it certainly looks like it would be very heavy and clunky, but the geometry is fairly thin and the primary grinds are a very specific shape. Our sword is not a wall hanger, it is engineered to win a very brutal knife competition. Everything about it is driven by that purpose.

As a former "hog" in Busse world... The F 16 is very clunky and unwieldy. Balance point is far front of gaurd. Handle is significantly under designed for the blade weight and length. In my humble opinion.... Same with the FBM we still own. From what i hear, the K 18 will be much more nimble and balanced and feel lighter then it looks.

I have not held a f16, but was tempted to pick one up. I will admit my reason for passing on that offering was the appearance of poor balance. I recently went into a bit of a rant on moving along my Busse knives in favor of my CPKs, so I wont get into all that. What I do want to share is the one Busse kin I decided I couldn't let go of!
20210413_114451.jpg

That puppy is a stripped Swamp Rat Waki. Blade length of 17 inches and over all just under 28 inches n. The balance is superb. When you hold it in your hand, you feel like the thing would twirl around like a baton (not that I know much about such things). While it may not have the same blade profile as k18, it may be a close comparison from a blade length/balance standpoint. I hope to one day find out!

Thanks for the generous offer, and I may take you up on that if I can find the time to do it as a video comparison that I can post up on YouTune and share with folks here (with your permission, of course). I have no doubt about what you say. All I have used my K-16 for is chopping down some relatively minor branches in my yard and it has worked fine for that and the edge is still sharp. I do not find the balance off, as someone mentioned - it is about an inch and a half forward of the handle, which feels about right to me for a 16 inch chopper. But it is also definitely not something I would call light and quick - like my wakizashi is. But for the (maybe somewhat limited) tasks that I have put it to, it has performed well. It is the so-called "nuclear option" but I don't think that changes the grind or the rest of it from a performance standpoint. I'm quite sure that the K18 chops much better - hard to have a good feeling for the difference, though, without an actual comparison.

I have not held a f16, but was tempted to pick one up. I will admit my reason for passing on that offering was the appearance of poor balance. I recently went into a bit of a rant on moving along my Busse knives in favor of my CPKs, so I wont get into all that. What I do want to share is the one Busse kin I decided I couldn't let go of!
View attachment 1545331

That puppy is a stripped Swamp Rat Waki. Blade length of 17 inches and over all just under 28 inches n. The balance is superb. When you hold it in your hand, you feel like the thing would twirl around like a baton (not that I know much about such things). While it may not have the same blade profile as k18, it may be a close comparison from a blade length/balance standpoint. I hope to one day find out!
Bear in mind, there's a CPK Notta-Katana in the pipeline somewhere. :cool:

Opportunity for me to move/replace my last Busse (AK-47).

View attachment 1545331

Nice. I have a rucki and AK 47. Always wanted a waki. I could not sell mine either so far!

The Wakis/Ruckis/AKs were probably the closest thing to a real sword that Busse did...but I still had to regrind mine so it would cut;) The K18 is a legit sword...the prototype I handled had amazing balance AND harmonics, something you will never see in a Busse.

Last edited:
Back