1st damascus from the new forge room!

I just finished up my new forge shop and wanted to show off the first piece that came out of it. It's a small magnetic neck knife with 2 1/4" blade of 700 layer damascus (1095, 5160, L-6 & nickle) with file work. The handle is tulipwood with a brass guard and mosic pin. The butt cap is cable damascus I made awhile ago. Tess made an open faced magnetic sheath to show off the damascus when worn.
damascus-tulipwood%20stubby.JPG

What do you think?
Now that the shop is set up there will be alot more damascus coming off the mountain.
:D

I love the knife....but:

magnetic sheath to show off the damascus when worn.

Ain't that supposed to go UNDER your shirt?:D :D :D

J, looks great...tell Tess cool looking Idea with the magnet thing....yeah I know she did it before!!:D

inovative idea open sheath. I have not seen that before.
Nice looking damascus and the whole package.

Great looking damascus and knife. For some reason those wide stripes remind me of a cow skin pattern. -chris

I think that kicks bloody A, mon. Good one! How does Tess work the magnet, cover it with thin leather? And what kind of magnets does she use and where's she get em? See I'm full of questions today. :p Thanks for sharing it here.

Dave

J & Tess, you Rock! That is one beautiful knife and sheath.
When I finally get round to finishing the cable damascus that Indian George helped me make at the last NECKA hammer in, I'm calling Tess about one of one of those sheaths. Keep up the great work!
Ed

ED: You haven't got that done yet?????:eek: :eek: By the time you get it done the black plam I gave to you for the handle will be rotted out.;) ;) :D :D

Thanks all.

Dave: Tess uses rare earth magnets from Lee Valley, here's the link: http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.asp?page=42363&category=3&SID=&ccurrency=2. These rare earth magnets she uses are tough (about 7 lbs. pull each) and don't losen over time. She uses three layers of thin leather cutting out a space in the middle layer for the magnet so it all lays flat. Then puts a thick leather frame on top to keep any sharp edges out of the way. Hope this helps.

Happycat: Just let us know when. Maybe you can come down to the shop sometime, your only about an hour away.

Thanks J & Tess, that will help. Now I need to come up with a knife for such a sheath. :D But I will!

Dave

I have no doubt you'll come up with something great, Dave. You always do. If you need a hand with anything just let us know.

This is what I did with the remainder of that billet.

damascus%20pendant.JPG

Tess wears it, so she can show off the 1st piece made on this hill.

I don't know why I'm fretting about this, but won't the nickel be very weak?

(It's beautiful, though.)

Back