2 Hawks New Hawk

good find there.

You had a question about quality. basicaly devin price took over the buisness after two hawks passed. To the best of my knowlege some training occured before his death. I have a piece made by devin and the quality seems to be consistent with 2hawks work. The warbeast and warhawk are his best pieces, his rawhide wrap really finishes of a piece.

I've been researching some old BF posts by the original Two Hawks who has unfortunately passed away. Here is an interesting one regarding his original products...

This evening trying to catch up on very neglected web stuff including the Forum.

ITEM 1: Do not pound stakes with a round-eye hawk. Have countless pictures in my reference library of old hawks with triangular eyes from use as a hammer or splitting wedge. And you'll never get a handle to fit again. You can get away with some light pounding on wood or plastic stakes on an occasional basis but DO NOT use the Warhawk or Competition on steel stakes or for heavy beating. Get a hammer polled hawk like the Longhunter or Voyageur.

ITEM 2: The Competition has not been discontinued. I'm just way behind on them and currently out of materials which should be here soon.

ITEM 3: Competition and Warhawk are machined from the same materials, the only real difference is the edge geometry. As was correctly pointed out the razor sharp upper and lower fighting edges on the Warhawk can be a potential liability for "routine" camp use unless you are careful.

ITEM 4: Blade main-edge contour on the Competition (and the Warhawk) is very nice for skinning, a nice approx. 4 inch sweeping edge, and it can be used like an ulu due to the rounded edges near the handle. Also it is a wider edge than the Longhunter which is nice for some chores. The Competition was optimized for sticking in a block of wood (and flies like it was laser-guided) but also works well for other stuff .... a hawk is a multipurpose tool.

ITEM 5: The Longhunter is based on 1700's medium belt hawks and is basically a camp tool though it could be very handy on a dark trail when there are bad guys around. It pounds stakes well, cuts wood well though the blade edge (see MEDIUM BELT HAWK) is fairly narrow compared to a cordwood-beast like the heavier Voyageur.

ITEM 6: Civilian vs. Military hawks .... the Longhunter and Competition are blued like a nice rifle (Comp is a Hardware/80 finish and Longhunter is Field/220 finish) while the military models are all low-reflectance (rough) surface with a tough acid brown finish like brown parkerizing. Militaries also have dark satin oil handles, thong ferrules, OD paracord grip wrap/wrist thong, and a mottled earthtone rawhide upper handle reinforcement. "Shiny" is not good when the smelly stuff is hitting the fan in bad-guy country.

ITEM 7: Some customers have gotten good "modern" sheaths from Survival Sheath Systems (http://www.survivalsheath.com).

Hope this information helps, and thanks to everyone for their patience as my aging slow nasty body tries to keep up with the big backlog in orders.

TWO HAWKS

http://www.2hawks.net

I just met Devin today at a gun show in KC and picked up the smallest hawk he had for $70 including sheath. I think the haft is about 12-14 inches; I wanted something very packable. I am really impressed with the fit and finish. It is not that sharp, but I can fix that easily enough. The bluing looks amazing, the haft fit is very good, and the overall quality seems high. I cannot wait to test this thing out.

I picked up the Voyager hawk.

I was a bit leery at first because he describes it as a Hudson Bay type axe and too heavy to carry around.

Well, it's a bit heavy with the 19" haft that it comes with, and I'm sure Vec wouldn't like it, but it turns out it's exactly the head I've been looking for. IMO, it's light and handy enough as is, I haven't had any problems flipping it around and using it, even with the short haft. But it begs to be a 26 incher or so.

Only two problems with it as is, one major, one minor.

Minor: Holy thick sheaths Batman! I could barely get the bit cover folded over and snapped the first few times.

Major: The head is not secure on the haft, and there's not enough wood left up top to pound it on further. I could use some gorilla glue and a rawhide wrap to keep it on, but since the haft is really too short and skinny, I might as well just carve a new one.

I don't really have a problem with the weight, it'd just feel better on a longer haft. I'd love a Vec haft, but he seems busy and not taking much in the way of custom heads these days. So, I'll make due with a wooden one when I carve it out, for now.

I picked up the Voyager hawk.

I was a bit leery at first because he describes it as a Hudson Bay type axe and too heavy to carry around.

Well, it's a bit heavy with the 19" haft that it comes with, and I'm sure Vec wouldn't like it, but it turns out it's exactly the head I've been looking for. IMO, it's light and handy enough as is, I haven't had any problems flipping it around and using it, even with the short haft. But it begs to be a 26 incher or so.

Only two problems with it as is, one major, one minor.

Minor: Holy thick sheaths Batman! I could barely get the bit cover folded over and snapped the first few times.

Major: The head is not secure on the haft, and there's not enough wood left up top to pound it on further. I could use some gorilla glue and a rawhide wrap to keep it on, but since the haft is really too short and skinny, I might as well just carve a new one.
I would agree with your observations on the handle.

i've vectorized a couple of those older ones, and have a few in the cue now.

i like the heads (nice clean lines), but the handles aren't that great alone - if you wrapped them it might take that sharp edge off of the front though and work out nicely. i haven't had a need to do that because of the composites, but it seems like a reasonable measure.

have patience with me, brethren-who-need-vectorization - i am trying to raise money for the next push into a composite handle you can put on yourself on various hawk makes, but i don't want folks to invest and then have to wait indefinitely.

vec

have patience with me, brethren-who-need-vectorization - i am trying to raise money for the next push into a composite handle you can put on yourself on various hawk makes, but i don't want folks to invest and then have to wait indefinitely.

vec

consider my ears pricked :)

i've vectorized a couple of those older ones, and have a few in the cue now.

i like the heads (nice clean lines), but the handles aren't that great alone - if you wrapped them it might take that sharp edge off of the front though and work out nicely. i haven't had a need to do that because of the composites, but it seems like a reasonable measure.

vec

I'd be more than willing to take a permanently attached haft on this one.

Not to mention it'd be a little more $$ in your R&D kitty. ;)

Back