2 new prototypes in the works - Trapper and Pocket Nessie

Pocket Rocket - :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have to say....I am super-stoked about these 2 knives. Hopefully will have a prototype available this week - Monday at latest!

Dan

I will pick up the pocket nessie this time around. looks really good.

Dan,

Your site looks to be down brother. Just a heads up. I see no pics on the original post and am one sad panda.

TF

I´d be interested in a trapper! I actually like the sandvik steel very much! have it on an scandi reprofiled EKA W11 and my Lagioule folder and they get scary sharb and hold an edge very well!
Are there any plans for the factory versions handlematerials? since i´m a big fan of natural materials, what about some fairly inexpensive native hardwoods, or some maroon micarta?
Pricing sounds really okay! this way just a much bigger community of knife enthusiasts is able to enjoy a good knife that can be handed down to the next gen more than likely!
I hope there will be no chimping on the trapper though, because it really limits the ergonomics and makes it sometimes even unpleasant to use it!
From my point of view chimping is to a certain degree and sharpness needed in folding knives, since they are often unstable in the hand and I love it on my Spydercos,
a fixed blade with an ergonomic handle and thick palm swell is so stable and steady in hand, that chimping is not needed and just takes away from the appearence in the first place. let me know whats your opinion about this though!
Thanks for these beautiful designs and congrats to the big step you made! All the best with your new concept!
Best wishes from snowy, austrian Alps!
Max

Thanks for the heads-up. After a few calls to my hosting tech-support it appears that the problem is localized to the central USA and should right itself in a few hours. I'll add the pictures to Bladeforums' hosting via the first post in the meantime.

:thumbup:

Dan

Awesome, I want one Trapper with 3.5/3.75 blade in Sandvik or 3V, or both ! Very nice designs there, I was looking for something fixed with 3.5-4 inch blade in a while and Boom, here it is. What a great day, thank you.

Max - the jimping is moved forward enough that the thumb doesn't connect with them until the hand *just* starts to overcome the guard. But compared to just a squared-off spine, the jimping throws a tremendous spark - at least 5 times bigger. I do hit it on a deburring wheel across the tops so that you won't cut yourself if you should ever run your thumb sideways across it. I just leave the corners squared at the jimping.

I definitely understand why some folks don't like jimping - but perhaps that is because the placement/finish/design/etc. has not been fully thought-out. These ones have. ;)

And you can bet I will ensure that the Factory Made versions perform as equally well as the HandMade in that regard.
:thumbup:

Thanks!
Dan

Ok - I've made some adjustments to the Trapper design - it's still in the Prototype stage...able to be redesigned for now. I added 0.1" to the handle and 0.25" to the blade. I agree it does look better and should feel more capable.

I've uploaded the image to the first post.

Thanks for the input!
Dan

I also uploaded a drawing of the sheath - including an internal look at how the "Cam" works. :thumbup:

Trapper2013a.gif

TrapperSheath2013.gif

Awsome Dan! You really understood the reasons for my concernes right away, thats exactely what i meant! The chimping on the bushcraft models look very aggressive, as if I really could hurt myself badly if I´d slip off from it.
But to be honest, if I throw sparks I always do so with the just perfectly functioning chimping of the thump ramp on my orange Spyderco Endura 4.
You are really right about that... just gripwise its unnecessary, thats what I meant!
The sheath looks awsome! It really becomes a bushcraft bowie! Any chance for a custom scandi or convexed version? I will convex my factory version definately, for bushcraft purposes!
Thank you for your quick response and for not getting my little monologs wrong!
Good work and ideas! Thanks for making it possible for poor students like me to get knives like yours!
Cheers, Max

Now I like the Trapper even better! Should be a very versatile knife.

I know you say 12C27 (or equiv) for the steel choice. What are the equivalent steels in your mind? I have always found 12C27 to be quit a bit better than it's brothers. Seems the "super clean" manufacturing makes it perform that much better. Anyway, curious what you feel would be equivalent for the purpose of the project.

Thanks!

There are a few options out there right now - from 440C to ATS-34. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 12c27, though.

Dan

Wow! Anything you list here sounds like choice steels for these knives, especially at those prices! I really don't consider 12C27 at the same level as 440C or ATS-34, simply because of the carbon content, which makes 12C27 easier in blanking for the manufacturing process. Even so, I am with you, if I had my druthers, then I would opt for 12C27, simply because I have enjoyed using this steel. Easy to sharpen, descent edge-holding, very stainless and a bit tougher than some of the other stainless steels. On the other hand, I would not even think of rejecting 440C or ATS-34. The more I learn about your choices in this project, the more I am anxiously anticipating the results!

Thanks again, Dan!

Sounds great, but I would prefer 12C27 aswell for the same reasons as Jeff! Just a great steel... dont even know why its not used more often in stainless knives!
Can´t wait to see first pix!
Please reserve me a Trapper!!!
Thanks! Max

Exactly - 12c27 is better for the manufacturers too. Everything affects cost and I'm doing my best to keep costs low while maintaining quality! :thumbup:

Dan

Exactly - 12c27 is better for the manufacturers too. Everything affects cost and I'm doing my best to keep costs low while maintaining quality! :thumbup:

Dan

Back