2004 Midwes Khuk Khonvention sign up thread...

I was just hoping to keep the cost down for such a souvenier, thinking 1/4" letters following the curve of the blade. Even Pen's MKK 04 would do it for me...I'm clumsy. (Thanks to Bruise for that line!) Maybe MKK (sunburst) 04 would work as well. The low cost of the KK would increase participation, as well as retention of the knife.

Keith...yes, I have one for your testing if you'd like...it can always be polished and sharpened again. You have my email addy...

Are you volunteering to cut it out too, Warren? :D :p

How about this?

I'll get 10-15 Biltons - Uncle may (or might not) cut us a deal...but we'll ask anyway...

We'll make stencils available - whatever the design ends up being

Everyone can etch their own at the Khonvention - this will keep the cost down and add some fun...:D

All we need to do is settle on a design and I think there's plenty of space on the Bilton (no need to get a villager - too much $$$ - gotta save room for the BBB :D).

I'll definitely do some...1st we must decide on what...:p
I figure if you layer contact paper 3 or 4 thick on a corrugated cardboard box, X-acto should cut thru no problem...
(3 or 4 layers) x (4 or 5 volunteers) = done deal...
it would need to be in a word file so everyone had same size.
whatever everyone thinks...I'm easy :D

That splitting of the difference suits my intention Pen...Thanks! :D

I wish! I *do* however, have a pond lined with rocks that I could and would be happy to drag your Khuks across if you'd like! ;)

have a pond lined with rocks that I could and would be happy to drag your Khuks across if you'd like!
Naa, not as effective...but thanks for the offer :p
Was just thinking...One sheetmetal template + sandblaster = quick n easy etching. ;)
Maybe we should stick to the normal plan... :D :D

yes...sandblasting speeds up the rusting process...yikes!

As long as it is not actually made of paper, it will work.

The best thing would be for us to find a vinyl sign cutting machine or a sign maker (at a signage business or the like), give him the graphic, then have him cut about 10 to scale outta 3-8mil calendared vinyl.

I've used this methond and it works well, especially for multiple runs of identical images. Bascally what Pen is proposing is similar.

Sandpblasting spped up the rusting process--technically, so does etching. You really have to oiil and maintain the etched area until it seasons properly.

Keith

I think doing any of those fancy ways would detract from the intent...I want to learn to do the etchings using Keith's method. That way, it's a skill I can take home with me (well, actually I'll be at home), but you get the idea...:p

Very true...Afterall this IS a workshop...;)
It's that darn Engineer mentality kicking in again :D

To those of you following this thread and wondering if you can take time off from work or not, I offer this quote from M. Dukakis, 'No one, on their death bed ever said,'I wish I'd spent more time at the office.'"
Brian

cool. too bad ye can't do anything but flat surfaces with it.;)

Bri - So, yer tellin' me to move ye from the maybe-wishy-washy list :)to the confirmed list?

I'll be scanning soem sketches and I'll email them to Pen fer display on the thread, then we can see what we like, or I'll go back to the drawing board with your critiques and suggestions.

[I also think we should etch one up and send it back to Uncle. He's inspired us folks who can't make it to Reno to have this thing, and he's even made sure to get Blems and an M43 fer the raffle!]

Keith

P.S. Keep me posted on any updates to the thread head.

Hmmm... Yeh, I'm movin' in that directions. It's sounding more and more interesting. I have a van/camper and am very self-sufficient so as not to be a problem for over-nighting.
I can also bring a couple of Swamp Rats...A Camp Tramp and A Howling Rat. Maybe even a D-2 Bog Dog if it shows up by then :confused:
Brian

Hey...I just (DoH!) realized that on this one Bilton, we can learn etching, convexing and hamoning! What a display of cool things to do to Khuks! What else can we do to our "Official MKK 2004 Project Knife and Momento"?

I give up...what is hamoning? :confused:

We could cold-blue it also...

:)

Thanks Nasty...'hamoning' turned up no results ;)

Hamoning (`new word by ~Nasty)

Meaning to bring out the hamon...the line between the hardened edge and softer back of a differentially hardened blade...a very cool look. You can actually see the difference between the zones.

Okay, professional or amature metalurgists feel free to climb on thread and explain it properly...
:D

ps: Cold blue over etch...possible or not :confused:

Back