2007 SOG Knives

The original Tomcat and the Pentagon are fine knives. In my opinion SOG has spent way too much time thinking how to make knives more efficiently, and as a result they lost their way.

After purusing the new knives for 2007, and reviewing a few designs that have been around for a while, I think I am going to make a conscious effort to obtain another SOG Specialty Knives piece later this spring. The Team Leader looks very appealing to me, but a plain-edge Pup Elite looks good to me, as well... And I always wanted a Pentagon, perhaps to replace my BM 100 on my PFD... And Flash II with the rescue blade...

I fear the sleeping SOG monster inside me has awakened.

And I like Cliff! I find his work informative and interesting.

I don't like the BIG SOG logo on handles or clips. The logo stamped modestly on the blade, handle or clip is fine. It should be a nice design, like the trident, not a structural part of the knife with big kinder letters, IMO.

I still just bought a twitch XL cause i like the blink. Wish it was a plain clip tho, or with a nice logo, like Al Mar does on their clips.

My ti vision has SOG 20th on the blade and it looks ok as its not too large.

I'd like to see a 7 1/2" plain edged Tsunami, made from 1095 or other high carbon steel. if it had to be stainless-BG 42

After purusing the new knives for 2007, and reviewing a few designs that have been around for a while, I think I am going to make a conscious effort to obtain another SOG Specialty Knives piece later this spring. The Team Leader looks very appealing to me, but a plain-edge Pup Elite looks good to me, as well... And I always wanted a Pentagon, perhaps to replace my BM 100 on my PFD... And Flash II with the rescue blade...

My vote is for the Pentagon. Everyone needs one! :) Bigger a typical folder, smaller than a full-sized fixed blade. Needle point, dual edge options, and serrations that make short work of anything they cut.

If "PFD" means "Personal Floatation Device", is there any risk of puncturing something important either on yourself, someone else, or the boat? If there isn't then this is one instance where the new Kydex sheaths are a lot better choice than the vintage leather ones.

Cliff's a champ! Personally, I'd dread to see what he'd do to a Pentagon. :eek: That fine needle point doesn't take too much abuse. That's the trade-off for what it can do.

Fudo said:
I'd like to see a 7 1/2" plain edged Tsunami, made from 1095 or other high carbon steel. if it had to be stainless-BG 42

SOG definitely needs to make bigger versions of some of its more exotic fixed blade designs.:thumbup: A 7 1/2" plain edged Tsunami in BG-42 would be an amazing knife. It shares the same handle with the Pentagon, IIRC. Since you mentioned "supersizing" the Tsunami , my dream is for SOG to release a 7 1/2" blade SOG Pentagon. Both of them would be incredible knives at that size.

Everyone needs a Pentagon! :) Bigger a typical folder, smaller than a full-sized fixed blade. Needle point, dual edge options, and serrations that make short work of anything they cut.

If "PFD" means "Personal Floatation Device", is there any risk of puncturing something important either on yourself, someone else, or the boat? If there isn't then this is one instance where the new Kydex sheaths are a lot better choice than the vintage leather ones.

Will the Vulcan have VG10 or 440A? I wonder because on the SOG page it has VG10 but in some shops there is 440A.

Have you considered buying a Pentagon?

It's a well designed knife with some very handy features you can't get elsewhere. ;)

Okay, that was my obligatory Pent promo.

im going to second that. The Pentagon is a rediculously awesome knife. they got for whay, $90 or so? If SOG were to offer a version with upgraded steel, like 154cm or D2, I would gladly pay significantly more for it. $140 for a D2 Pentagon seems reasonable. :D

We have upgraded the steel on the Vulcan. It was originally listed as AUS8 but has since been upgraded to VG-10.

Chris

I just got the Recon Bowie, and I love it. Great feel and balance, and the handle is a perfect shape and size for my medium-large size hands. Kudus to SOG for this one.

Kudos to SOG. I had a special task today. Photographing two Moras for my portfolio. the props I wanted included two fuzz sticks. As a rule, I never use the knife I'm shooting to make the props so I tried to make the fuzz sticks with a freshly sharpened Kershaw Black Horse- an old standbye. Yuck! what a mess! The darn blade is way too thick. So out came the Twitch XL, featured on the cover of Gear Ninja Magazine ( GearNinja.com) Sweeeeet! the fuzz sticks came very quickly after that. The thin blade and killer sharp hollow ground Twitch XL were the ticket. Anyone want a Black Horse II ?

Back