2012 Schatt and Morgan Heritage series

Not in the slightest bit rude...

I just use a DMT Aligner Jig from E Course to E Fine
It cost me $55 five years ago
Best investment
And makes sharpening so simple

I replaced the E Course as it does all the main cutting work and wore out on all those Queen D2 blades (sigh)

One day I am going to call Mr Breton CEO of Queen and discuss this with him
I will be very polite .....
But firm

I purchased one after wandering into this thread for a looksee. Heritage cattleman.

It has a lot of QC flaws in my opinion. But I do believe it will wear into a fine heirloom knife.

attachment.php

My biggest concern was that the kick on the main blade, left the sheepsfoot nail pull covered.

Last edited:
Neeman,

I understand. I have used lanksy, edgepro, belt sanders, sandpaper, paper wheels, buffers and on and on. I settled on a flat stone :)

I spent about 3 years focused on nothing but sharpening. Once I learned on a beltsander I was able to go back to stones freehand with great results. I made a few hand strops and the rest is history :)

I just avoid those recurves on any knife. Custom to production.

Kevin

Kevin,
I learnt how to sharpen in woodworking in school
The Master (shop teacher) did not believe in power tools
And we learnt on a flat stone...
So the DMT requires no thought!

Ron,
On my Cattleman there is enough room on the nail nick of the main blade to drop it down
But the main blade is such a nail breaker that I do not want to play with it until much later when it becomes much softer

and yes
If you can deal with the condradiction
After all the QC flaws it will wear into a fine heirloom knife.

I wanted to follow up on this thread. My S&M Cattleman 2012 heritage knife is pocket worthy now. I had a 1/16th stainless steel wire wheel in my Drumel tool put it to the side of the tang that folds inside the handle to half-stop, and gave it a shinning for about 5-6 seconds, and it made a tremendous improvement to the function of the blade. I didn't even use enough pressure to ding the brass liners, to my eye.

Good luck with yours. I literally broke both fingernails trying to break this one in, I gave up and decided it had to be that corner that got some attention. Edit; that photo above is out of date, before I put the knife of the month: stockman in my pocket I was carrying this Cattleman daily, and it has a nice natural patina building on it.

-Ron

Cool, Ron. Thanks for the update.

I love the woodsman, but my cattle knife had to go back. The spring on mine was too short and I could not get the sheepfoot open. It was hard to open even with pliers. If not mistaken, the spring is supposed to overlap (cover) the pivot on the tang in order for the joint to actually "slip" to open? I put the money towards a GEC Yellow Rose Cuban w/ punch instead. I love the Woodsman though. I ate a lot of fruit to get the patina. If you wanna lose weight and develop a healthy patina, by a slip joint knife in 1095 and cut up a bunch of fruit.

Well, I was going to wait until my birthday to order one. Birthday is next week, and it looks like my go to spots are sold out. The giant catalog dealer is overpriced and shipping will gut you too. Jeez, going to order right on the spot for 2013 Heritage series!

Got my premium stockman in the mail yesterday. The half stops are a little "loose", no half stop on the sheepsfoot blade. Overall, I am happy with it. Looks like I dodged the bullet on these, and got a good one. A dealer I stopped at on my birthday told me he sent all of the 2012 Heritage series knives back to Queen, he told them he wouldn't sell them in his store.

Good job by the dealer to send them back if he felt the quality wasn't there. That's looking out for your customer. Now we as customers just have to hope those knives don't go back in the distribution chain without examination and repair where needed.

Reminds me of an old joke my dad used to tell about a native american who was reputed to have the best memory in the world. A guy went to see him, just to check it out. He asked the man.... "I hear you have a perfect memory... what did you have to eat for breakfast on the Wednesday after your 10th birthday?" The man thought for a minute, and said "venison and eggs". The guy thought "that's amazing, that he remembers that, from so long ago.."
Three or four years later, the guy was passing through, and thought he'd stop in and see the old man again. He walked up to him, raised his hand in greeting, and said "How!"
The old man looked at him and said "scrambled"....

yes, that's a "Dad" groaner joke....

I think 420hc if stainless, 1095 if not stainless. It’s been 8 years :)
Well, I have one on the way so I will know on Wednesday ;). However those two options are what I'm curious about because I have found both listed on the internet. :confused::oops:

Heritage? All carbon with something called Norway Iron bolsters and liners.

VH39und.jpg
Thanks Will, that's what I thought and was hoping for. However like I said there was some contradictory info out there. I enjoy the jigging on the stag bone, I'm looking for the Cattle knife from that series in that cover but the stockman popped up at a good price so why not.
NfAF0Qb.jpg

From Google:
IRON: For centuries, people in today's mid-Norway Trøndelag region made large amounts of first-class iron out of bog ore for use in weapons and tools. Production peaked at about 40 tonnes a year at around 200 AD. With production levels this high, it is likely that they exported iron to the European continent as well.

Back