• Bocote - Shipping Cost Only - Free

Votes: 46 14.9%
  • Shockwood - $$$

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • Ebony - $$

Votes: 36 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have no problem paying premium price for shockwood. It looks awesome. Has Buck ever used it before?

I voted Bocote on this one. I love wood. It is usually my number one choice, but I am really pulling for elk on this knife. That said, I am also leery of repeating wood so soon after the 2015 knife (even though that is my favorite, and the one I carry most often), but I can't pass up the opportunity to have a member donated handle material. For me, even though it would repeat the same wood, the fact that it is from a @Dopic1 makes it my number one wood choice by a mile.

Since all the woods seem to be about the same cost save for Shockwood, I voted KOA, because it's so beautiful. Here are some images. I'd be happy with Ironwood, Ebony, Snakewood, Maple or Box Elder Burl. I definitely want wood, though.

1061d.jpg

pasted%20image%20445x240.jpg

flame-koa-4.jpg

I chose iron wood and box elder burl. May change that second one to osage though.... If cocobolo was on there, that would be my first choice.

I'm concerned that a lot of people will be disappointed with Koa wood. That fiery grain and figure, with the great chatoyance, is only realized in fairly large pieces - like a handle of a fixed blade. On this knife, there's not a lot of real estate to showcase that kind of wood, so it will probably come out pretty plain and dull looking. I'm hoping Koa doesn't win, but I'll still buy whatever is chosen.

The 2 other categories were easy for me to pick a top 2. This one is difficult!! Can anyone help me out with some examples?!

I've narrowed it down to these 9 out of 10... :D

Snakewood - $$
KOA Flamewood - $$
Box Elder Burl - $$
Maple Burl - $$
Buckeye Burl - $$
Ironwood - $$
Osage Orange - $$
Bocote - Shipping Cost Only - Free
Ebony - $$

The 2 other categories were easy for me to pick a top 2. This one is difficult!! Can anyone help me out with some examples?!

I've narrowed it down to these 9 out of 10... :D

Snakewood - $$
KOA Flamewood - $$
Box Elder Burl - $$
Maple Burl - $$
Buckeye Burl - $$
Ironwood - $$
Osage Orange - $$
Bocote - Shipping Cost Only - Free
Ebony - $$

The only help I can give here is the buckeye example that skblades skblades shared early on in the process. The bottom one obviously:
39609053900_7acf4b_h-jpg.886494

I chose iron wood and box elder burl. May change that second one to osage though.... If cocobolo was on there, that would be my first choice.

I'm concerned that a lot of people will be disappointed with Koa wood. That fiery grain and figure, with the great chatoyance, is only realized in fairly large pieces - like a handle of a fixed blade. On this knife, there's not a lot of real estate to showcase that kind of wood, so it will probably come out pretty plain and dull looking. I'm hoping Koa doesn't win, but I'll still buy whatever is chosen.
I did notice that on examples of the wood I saw doing a google search. Looks great on a guitar but a small knife scale might well be too small to show any variation at all.

Back