• Giraffe Bone - $$

Votes: 31 9.9%
  • Camel Bone - $$

Votes: 17 5.4%
  • Stag - $$$

Votes: 40 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
yes it is. but that's the problem, that is an exceptional sample and getting one of that quality on a given knife is a total crapshoot
Would you not say the same for elk? I've seen some incredible examples and enough bad ones that I'm currently voting for anything but. I'm open to being persuaded though!

Oh I was talking about elk. Crazy variability in look and shape. Much like 2015 where some people got awesome bocote scales and others got . . . meh

Oh I was talking about elk. Crazy variability in look and shape. Much like 2015 where some people got awesome bocote scales and others got . . . meh

I thought my bocote was pretty meh, but it really wasn't a problem for me. I also got one where there was a recurve and the main blade still hit the spring in the middle. And frankly, none of that mattered. It is still a great user and one of my all time favorite knives. I think that this knife will also be a user, and that makes me more willing to embrace variability because it is going to change and evolve with use anyway.

I thought my bocote was pretty meh, but it really wasn't a problem for me. I also got one where there was a recurve and the main blade still hit the spring in the middle. And frankly, none of that mattered. It is still a great user and one of my all time favorite knives. I think that this knife will also be a user, and that makes me more willing to embrace variability because it is going to change and evolve with use anyway.
My bocote was really nice but the recurve, horrendous crinking, terrible liner gaps and unflush pins were less so. I sold it at a loss.

Elk scales will make each of our knives unique (like Vaporstang, said above).

I think Buck can deliver consistently nice (not exceptional, perhaps) elk scales, that are well matched thickness wise.
If they are matched covers I have no problem with some nice American elk drops!

skblades skblades - is this type of jigging possible from Buck or is this just a lost art in this day of automation? Although I have been an advocate for wood if either one of these examples from Robeson or Crucible Knife Co. are possible I would definitely choose this hands down. As someone said earlier the new automated jigging is nice but it just doesn't have the soul that the old stuff does.IMG_3869.PNG IMG_3870.PNG

We're here to call on our Buffalo brethren to come to the assistance of a fellow Horn, enlist in the Ram's Horn Army today and put all the others to flight:D:D:cool:
It's is a favorite of mine and I have to few pieces so maybe a picture or two will help our cause. Preston
DSC_0047.JPG

002.JPG

Just wanted to say how much fun I am having participating in, and then watching these polls. I think once we have these knives in hand, it will make them very memorable, thinking of all the different combos that were considered before arriving at wherever we do.

I'm surprised stag got so few votes!
I agree. Just speculation, but I'm guessing the ($$$) has a lot to do with it - especially with Elk at only ($$).

I'm as equally as surprised that jigged bone is doing so well vs Elk, when both are in the same cost category.

I'm okay with either (jigged or Elk) so long as the jigging isn't cheap looking, or the Elk isn't super fat.

Back