1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Blade Show Knives - SEE the ENERGY!

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by SharpByCoop, Jun 6, 2018.

1. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    Hi Friends,

It was my/our 11th year in service and attendance. What a Show it has grown into! We drove down from Connecticut to Atlanta and arrived for setup at 1pm.

By 3pm Thursday, till 12pm on Sunday I was booked with projects. Most of you NEVER saw me, and that was by design: I HAVE to stay focused and working behind closed studio doors. I tell all it's the HARDEST working four days of my year.

My staff is family: My wife Susan, my 15-yr-old son Trevor, and 19-yr-old Maggie Randall has been working with us for five years now! They are my 'front persons' and I could not have better. (Those who stopped by, or we visited, please share your experiences.)

[​IMG]

I have MUCH to share and much editing to do. I will start the Blade Show thread with work which arrived JUST BEFORE at my home studio, getting a head start on the show. Thanks to them for being proactive.

(I'll add in comments and other notes as I go along. In the meantime, I'm going to give these makers work the visuals I promise to all.

A few makers sent me important work AHEAD of my departure. These are all going to Blade, but got finished in the week prior.

Matt Parkinson, JS brought me these four beauties!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stephen Fowler, JS makes a STONG statement with his work--betting better and better!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eugene Solomonik from Olamic Tactical sent me this impressive and clever hand-carved framelock
    [​IMG]

more....

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Rick Otts, Odog27, rooster68 and 10 others like this.
  2. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Brian Tighe never fails to please and SELL! This set of his latest works also feature steel from @DamasteelAB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A premonition of what's in store from Anders Hogstrom. Later you will see another one which won the BIG PRIZE!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  3. Bob Ohlemann

Bob Ohlemann

Dec 5, 2013
    Off to a great start!!

Bob

4. sheathmaker

sheathmaker Custom Leather Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    I actually get to see Coop every year.........But I am very mindful of his back breaking schedule and make my visit early in the day and VERY short. Susan is gracious enough to let me through the door and and Coop always greets me with a big hug. It just wouldn't be a Blade show if I didn't get that minute with Coop.

Paul

Odog27, rooster68 and Dawkind like this.
  5. JParanee

JParanee

Dec 23, 2006
    Jim you and your family are the best

We have all watched your son grow into a fine young man

Here are two that sold quietly and should of been captured by you

I snapped pics when they were handed to me to see

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is an example of how important Coops services are in capturing

The Lake SOLD for over 40k

It should of had a professional image done for prosperity

Odog27, rooster68, d762nato and 5 others like this.
  6. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Paul and Joe: You guys are in the 'A' team in Susan's mind. You pass the gatekeeper.... :rolleyes:

Good news: I DID shoot that Lake. Ron just got off the phone with me. I have a photo from it's original rough beginnings in November to this final piece. :)

Odog27, Wilsonhome, rooster68 and 3 others like this.
  7. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    Coop, you’re a crucial part of the show, for me, as is your family. You (and they) have ALWAYS taken care of me, and for that I’m thankful.

Still can’t fathom how you manage to shoehorn as many photos in under such tight constraints. Staggering!

8. Rick Marchand

Rick Marchand Donkey on the Edge Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 6, 2005
    ^^^
    What, stupid, said.

keithf, Odog27, rooster68 and 3 others like this.
  9. RogerP

RogerP Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Sweet. I look forward to this thread every year.

10. Jason Magruder

Jason Magruder

Mar 27, 2004
    There were some amazing knives at the show and I can't wait to see which ones you got your hands on, Coop! Your son Trevor certainly earned his keep over the weekend, constantly running knives back and forth, all day long. Every time I saw him he was almost out of breath, and smiling.

11. Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Really looking forward to seeing the knives Coop.

12. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    great stuff mr coop !

Dawkind likes this.
  13. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    :eek::eek::eek:

rooster68 likes this.
  14. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Of course for 99% of the attendees, including ME, the PEOPLE are the biggest source of enjoyment. The knives alone, in an empty room with no one to talk to, would be disengaging.

So it was HARD for me to drive there, set up frantically, and then have to remain behind closed doors for most of the duration. I have become popular through my work, and my presence is wished for. Sigh.

I announced to my staff if someone wanted to talk to me, please let them. It's all part of good business. (And I enjoy the occasional break!)

One thing I can count on, besides Joe and Paul, for instance, is a visit from iconic A.G. Russell. he came by on Thursday on his scooter, and we chatted. I introduced him to my son Trevor (who was our 'runner' among other tasks), and AG did what he has done in the past. He pulls out his renowned 'one-handed' knife and gives it to him. But not without explaining how to work it, and how it's designed, and how it takes PRACTICE to be nimble with it. That was Trevor's charge: To learn how to open and close it with one hand (and several fingers).

He left and I realized I missed the opportunity for a 'selfie'. Late on Saturday, I requested Trevor and Susan to visit his booth and GET that shot. Goldie Russell actually took the photo:

[​IMG]

You can tell how pleased he was to do this! We are always in gratitude that the great AG would be so kind to us. Thank you!!

Me? I have to work. Work HARD. Stop socializing. I literally had a running timer taped to my light tent. I'd time each project, with a goal of one image every 15 minutes. I had my staff spend time cleaning the knives before and after, and my task was background selection, shooting and good lighting. Finished: You guys take care of the rest..... Next!

As son as we arrived on Thursday Trevor and I walked over to Chuck Ward's studio and chatted with him and his staff. We amicably wished each other well and offered assistance if there was an equipment need. All was well and there were no grousing feelings. They were as busy as us all weekend.

BTW: Chuck Ward, Cory Martin, and SharpByCoop were the only ones listed as legitimate Blade Show photographers.

I have more to show, and it's been a slow start as I have to feed my IG as well as this thread in between actual edits. Here's a sampling of some more I finished:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading and viewing!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Odog27, VashHash, rooster68 and 6 others like this.
  15. BFS

BFS Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Besides the annual "Best Bowie" thread, this is my favorite. Thanks for all you do Coop. It is appreciated.

16. Will York

Will York Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Always such a treat and privilege to view your stunning images, Jim. Thanks for bringing Blade to all of us.:thumbsup::cool:

17. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    I can ALWAYS count on my buddy Vincent Tseng @UnknownVT to swing by and take a shot or two of the inside studio. My son happened to be with me this time. I am VERY proud of him!

[​IMG]

He took a boatload of cool images of people. (Look closely: he photobombed himself!) I suggest you visit HIS thread in the Gallery to see more.

keithf, Odog27, Geraldo Leão and 3 others like this.
  18. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    From Hawaii returns Scot Matsuoka:
    [​IMG]

From Texas here is Luke Swenson:
    [​IMG]

A BIG Texas charge from Tommy 'Bubba' Crouch. (Check out his 'flint knapped' accents)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Odog27, VashHash, rooster68 and 5 others like this.
  19. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Holy smokes. Phenomenal stag. Impressed by those Hogstrom pieces too. All of the craftsmanship and creativity is mind blowing. Thanks for sharing Mr. Coop!

20. eisman

eisman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Thank you for this thread!

Jsega51 likes this.