1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2019 Fiddleback User Weekend

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Bmurray, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Lady1911

Lady1911 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2018
    That is one of those incidents when you’re actually thanking the trooper when he gives you the ticket!

Can’t say the same about my octoberfest experience in Helen, GA. :D

Bmurray likes this.
  2. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Who gets in trouble in Helen Ga? Although, GA is a bit culturally numb. Its not just that they don't know how to eat. They also have no idea how to party. Festivals, for example, don't sell beer. And they don't do parades ever. Even if they did they wouldn't sell beer in the streets. Meh. Georgians stick to the roof of your mouth like wonderbread.

Wurrwulf and Lady1911 like this.
  3. Lady1911

Jan 31, 2018
    Haha!! Well, I can assure you that the Helen Oktoberfest had no shortage of German beer. And the court fees we paid were probably responsible for a sizable chunk of their local economy...:D Not to mention covering the cost of braces for the bail bondsman’s kids. It’s a story best told over a few adult beverages, though.

Nbrackett and Bmurray like this.
  4. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Well you definitely need to come to the weekend event then. LOL.

Lady1911 likes this.
  5. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    I want to hear this one at the gathering.

Lady1911 likes this.
  6. Luca917

Luca917 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Louisiana bayou, 1985. Speeding through some three house town. Cuffed, dragged to a house in the swamp, and offered the choice: put $50 in the man's pocket, or spend the next 2 days in a cell. The cell was a dog cage behind the house.

I gave him the $50 and he put it in his pocket.

Shaking scared? We can discuss that at the next get-together.

LostViking, Nbrackett and Lady1911 like this.
  7. Lady1911

Jan 31, 2018
    I really hate to say this, @Luca917, but in a way, you’re a bit lucky that those were the only two choices....I’ll say no more about that. o_O

Well, Bob, you did ask for a ‘discussion’ :D

Nbrackett and Luca917 like this.
  8. Lady1911

Jan 31, 2018
    Any progress on nailing down some dates for this?

I’m asking because it’s difficult to secure time off at my job, and we generally start putting in requests a few months in advance.

9. k_estela

k_estela Co-Moderator, Wilderness and Survival Skills Forum Moderator

Feb 23, 2001
    After the last Fiddleback User Weekend, perhaps I make some of the instruction more water oriented. I can demonstrate and teach the survival floating position for the AmPHILbian and we can see how easily we can collect water vs. how easily we can collect bourbon in our mugs.

Seriously, I am open to any suggestions for any topics you would like me to cover. I was thinking of doing some land navigation (as it was requested last time) and covering some fieldcraft exercises. I wouldn't mind having a hobo fishing contest. Perhaps I come up with a suggest kit to include some slingshot bands and we make some elastic powered tools. Keep in mind I am flying in from CT and I'll have limited luggage capacity to haul through the airport. I don't mind working out of my pack to show skills but it does help having some larger manipulatives to use in demos and I'll have to pack accordingly.

Kev

P.S. if you guys aren't already following me on Instagram, my account is @estelawilded Look back through my feed and let me know if anything posted is something you would like to see me demo or teach in person.

Odaon and Bmurray like this.
  10. The Shatz

The Shatz Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2017
    IF I can make it down I'd be interested in learning more trapping techniques

Lady1911 likes this.
  11. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Do we have a date for this yet? I know you guys were talking March. I'd love to make it, but I'm not sure if it's in the cards... I would also love to go to Blade Show again next year, but that's a week before our wedding, might be pushing it. Haha.

12. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    navigation for sure.

13. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Land navigation and tourniquets

14. theobetts

theobetts

Nov 4, 2004
    Land nav. Traps and snares. Self defense/awareness. Household bug out vs hunker down for fire hurricane etc.

15. k_estela

Feb 23, 2001
    Navigation can be taught easily. Just do me a solid and someone print out some topographical maps of the area we can use. As far as TQ's, I have a bunch we can examine and you can demo on yourself and one another. We can do some improvised trauma care and I'll show how move people with little effort. Traps, we'll make some fun ones you can scale to the appropriate size.

Lady1911 and Odaon like this.
  16. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    booby traps

17. k_estela

Feb 23, 2001
    Big deal Bob...wait until you hear a certain little voicemail I have saved.

Bmurray and Odaon like this.
  18. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    LOL

19. Fiddleback Outpost

Fiddleback Outpost Fiddleback Forge Knives & Fiddleback Outpost Gear

Apr 29, 2016
    How about river rescue, alcohol poisoning treatment & hypothermia prevention?

...asking for a friend. ;)

20. k_estela

Feb 23, 2001
    Robert,

We can do all of that as long as we have time to explore natural gas sources and the dangers of exposure to them.